If Venus plays well and loses the Warsaw final .... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 1st, 2004, 06:54 PM   #1
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
If Venus plays well and loses the Warsaw final ....

.. what exactly will Kuznetsova have been doing? This is obviously a thread for Kuznetsova fans, or at least those who've seen her play a few times. I'm not saying Venus 'playing as well as she can', but playing 'well'. 5 aces, 2 dfs, winner to UE ratio of maybe +2. Winning percentage of 1st serve maybe 70%, winning percentage 2nd serve 45%. Not lights out, just good.

What does Svetlana do when she's going good? What would she use to overcome a Venus Williams in reasonably good form?

To my Venus fan-compadres, try to lighten up and let the Kuznetsova fans answer. Obviously, we won't agree with all they say, but what's the harm in hearing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2004, 06:57 PM   #2
country flag SJW

SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute
the way Sveta beat Venus in Dubai was impressive to say the least.

what i remember is quite a few times she would hit hard and deep to Venus down the middle to get her on the defensive, then would hit winners past Venus at will

she can hit with the best of them, she can run like anything, her shot selection has improved like tenfold over the past few months even...

if Venus plays well, Venus will win. if Sveta plays well, and Venus is missing a bit, then it's gonna be a battle.
SJW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 07:08 PM   #3
Pureracket

Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute Pureracket has a reputation beyond repute
Kuznetsova will have to play solidly @ the very beginning and make Venus "think" about what she is doing. Venus has been a a bit of steamrolling mode lately, and that's impossible to stop.

Then again, you did say Kuzzie fans. I suspect, though, there are more anti-Williams fans on this board than outright Kuzzie fans. . . LOL!!!!!

OFFICIAL BLACKSMITH OF THE ROYAL COURT

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public!
Pureracket is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 07:15 PM   #4
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureracket
Then again, you did say Kuzzie fans.
I'll take anyone who's seen her a few times. I've seen her once. Not enough to really know what's happening.

Quote:
I suspect, though, there are more anti-Williams fans on this board than outright Kuzzie fans. . . LOL!!!!!
Ya think?
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:06 PM   #5
country flag Lady

Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute Lady has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not really great in judging tactics or abilities, so I'll give just my opinion!
I'm Sveta fan, not anti W, btw

I have seen about 6-7 Sveta's matches, so I can judge her a little!

Sveta has an amazing forehand. When she's ON, power & placement are great!
She has good, solid backhand, and moves really well!
As Sarah said, she added a lot in tactics department since the begginning of this year.
And she has good volleys when she plays well!
She prefers to play aggressively!

Her problem last year, and in the begginning of this year was inconsistency in matches, She payed like 5 good points, all winners, then would miss 4-5 shots easily.
She didn't do that in Venus Dubai match, and really improved on that!

So if Sveta keeps her focus, it should be a close match!

The real LADY of the Justine Philistines' Society™
Lady is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:44 PM   #6
country flag fried_beans

fried_beans is just really nice fried_beans is just really nice fried_beans is just really nice fried_beans is just really nice fried_beans is just really nice fried_beans is just really nice fried_beans is just really nice fried_beans is just really nice fried_beans is just really nice fried_beans is just really nice fried_beans is just really nice
If she is taking good care of her serve Venus should watch out.

*Schett Seles Schnyder Rubin Suarez Pierce*
fried_beans is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 09:56 PM   #7
country flag harloo

harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute
I think Svelta is dangerous, but the outcome of this match will really depend on how Venus executes her shots especially coming into the net. I really do feel that in a year Svelta will be challenging for slams. She only needs to get more fit, because if you are going to be on top fitness is a must.

harloo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 10:42 PM   #8
country flag fammmmedspin

fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future
Venus gave Vera 7 games today (yes I know Vera didn't take the,) and her serve isn't banging in aces - if Kuznetsova can maintain her consistency Venus will not get away with that level. Kuznetsova plays at a level that overwhelms lesser players and comes as a shock to power players who are not used to more power coming back. Its a battle of heads - Venus has to react positively if she finds she is outplayed in some games, Sveta needs to keep it consistent and keep in the fight.
fammmmedspin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 10:59 PM   #9
country flag Venus Forever
Team WTAworld

Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by fammmmedspin
Venus gave Vera 7 games today (yes I know Vera didn't take the,) and her serve isn't banging in aces - if Kuznetsova can maintain her consistency Venus will not get away with that level. Kuznetsova plays at a level that overwhelms lesser players and comes as a shock to power players who are not used to more power coming back. Its a battle of heads - Venus has to react positively if she finds she is outplayed in some games, Sveta needs to keep it consistent and keep in the fight.
Venus is anything but not used to power.

Let's not forget who she practices with all the time.

Good Luck: RENA, MATTEK, HAYNES, GULLICKSON, HARKLEROAD, RUBIN, GRANVILLE, LEE-WATERS, SCHNYDER, JACKSON, PERRY, KING, SUGIYAMA, PIERCE, TULYAGANOVA, IVANOVIC, KUZNETSOVA, MOLIK, DANIILIDOU, MEDINA GARRIGUES, PETROVA, PENNETTA, GOLOVIN, PEER, LI, SCHIAVONE, RAZZANO, ZVONAREVA, SPREM, SREBOTNIK, VINCI, & SAFINA
Venus Forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 11:17 PM   #10
country flag maximus82

maximus82 is a name known to all maximus82 is a name known to all maximus82 is a name known to all maximus82 is a name known to all maximus82 is a name known to all maximus82 is a name known to all maximus82 is a name known to all maximus82 is a name known to all maximus82 is a name known to all maximus82 is a name known to all maximus82 is a name known to all
Sveta's forehand, when it's truly on, is ridiculous. Honestly, in her "good" matches, I feel like she hits this shot better than any one since a certain soon-to-be Hall of Fame German woman...

Obviously the outcome will depend a lot on how BOTH players are playing...and, just to note, I've never seen Sveta play on clay...last year she didn't have a great clay season, but she does list it as one of her favorite surfaces. I only wish ESPN would show this final!
maximus82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2004, 01:19 AM   #11
country flag fammmmedspin

fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNuS FoReVeR
Venus is anything but not used to power.

Let's not forget who she practices with all the time.
I think its a question about what happens if you find yourself under pressure when your game has been one of not being under pressure but giving it out. I see the serena point, but if the opponent plays near serena's level you get into the other logic that we have all those Gs of experience that Venus doesn't survive inder the pressure Serena brings to bear, Its partly sibling feelings, but it may also be that Serena dominates and Venus eventually crumbles when she realises she can't.
fammmmedspin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2004, 03:29 AM   #12
Volcana

Quote:
Originally Posted by fammmmedspin
but if the opponent plays near serena's level
I think you can stop there.

'The opponent', in this case, has never in her life played a match near Serena's level. If that's what's required, they don't even need to play the match. OTOH, 'the opponent beat Venus fairly handily two months ago WITHOUT playing near Serena's level. Perhaps it's best to focus on what Kuznetsova does well, instead of assuming she'll need to play near the level of a six time GS winner.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:12 AM   #13
Jane

Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all Jane is a name known to all
It's all in her head. Sveta just needs to stay calm and focused and not let the occassion get to her. She is fast and moves very well, has a good serve and her ground strokes, particularly her forehand, are as good as anyone on the tour. All the components are there, she just needs to bring them together. If Sveta gets nervous and faulters on the big points, Venus' experience and mental fortitutde will win the match.

Last edited by Jane : May 2nd, 2004 at 04:49 AM.
Jane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:44 AM   #14
country flag Greenout

Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute
It's up to Sveta to win this. Her game is huge now- it's just a mental
thing now. Her match to win or lose. If she plays passive or get's cold
feet it's over in a blink of an eye. She look exhausted in the DOHA final,
and her game plan went wonky. Miami looked to be a moment where
everyone who did well earlier in the year sort of hit the wall- and
ran out of gas. It's re-grouping time for everyone right now with huge
grand slams coming in back to back.

Good luck Sveta you've got nothing to lose, and just more court education
to gain.

"I hung onto tennis. I have done so for the past 20 years.
It is something that is in me, it is me." - JH
Greenout is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:22 AM   #15
country flag Nan Cu

Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice
I saw her play a hardcourt match against Henin and I wasn't impressed. She's inconsistent, and erratic. Her best tactic is to catch a top player off guard. Fit and focused, the top player wins everytime.