Former NBA Player Jayson Williams Acquitted of Manslaughter - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #1
country flag lizchris

lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Former NBA Player Jayson Williams Acquitted of Manslaughter

He was charged in the shooting death of her limo driver but he was acquitted of all of the shooting charges involved with the death of his limo driver . He was found guilty of less serious charges of tampering with evidence and other charges.

Last edited by lizchris : Apr 30th, 2004 at 09:37 PM.
lizchris is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 08:30 PM   #2
country flag lizchris

lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute lizchris has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Friday, April 30, 2004

Associated Press
SOMERVILLE, N.J. -- Former NBA star Jayson Williams was acquitted Friday of the most serious charge against him, aggravated manslaughter. The jury said it could not agree on the charge of reckless manslaughter.

Williams, 36, was found guilty on four of the six lesser charges, related to tampering with evidence and attempting to cover up the shooting.

Collectively, the charges carry a maximum penalty of 13 years in prison.

Charges Jayson Williams faced
(max prison sentences and verdict)

Aggravated manslaughter (30 years) -- Not guilty
Reckless manslaughter (10 years) -- No decision
Possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose (10 years) -- Not guilty
Aggravated assault (18 months) -- Not guilty
Hindering apprehension (5 years) -- Guilty
Tampering with witnesses (5 years) -- Guilty
Tampering with evidence (18 months) -- Guilty
Fabricating physical evidence (18 months) -- Guilty

But Williams would probably receive a sentence of less than five years, the maximum for the most serious count. No date was set for sentencing. A scheduling conference to determine a trial date on the remaining count, reckless manslaughter, was set for May 21.

The jurors had deliberated for almost 23 hours when Juror No. 5 sent the judge a note shortly after 3 p.m. Its contents were not disclosed. In response, the judge asked the jurors to return to the deliberation room and to send him another note explaining whether they believed it was worthwhile to continue deliberations.

The jurors quickly sent a note back saying they could only reach a partial verdict.

The jury said Thursday that it had reached a decision on six of the charges, but could not agree on two others.

The jury then requested to rehear testimony from three of the witnesses against the retired NBA star. The readbacks began shortly after 9 a.m. Friday, the fourth day of deliberations for the eight women and four men who have sat since Feb. 10 on the case, which stems from the shooting of a hired driver, Costas "Gus" Christofi.

Williams could have faced up to 55 years in prison if convicted on all counts.

Williams displayed no emotion as he stood with his lawyers. After the verdict was completed, he sat down in his chair, leaned back and kissed his wife, Tanya, who was seated behind him. He remains free on bail.

He did not speak to reporters as he left the courtroom holding hands with his wife.

The shooting took place as Williams was giving friends and members of the Harlem Globetrotters a tour of his mansion in western New Jersey in the early hours of Feb. 14, 2002.

Testimony showed that Williams took a loaded shotgun from a cabinet, cracked it open, turned, uttered an obscenity at Christofi and snapped it closed. It then fired once, sending 12 pellets into Christofi's chest. The 55-year-old died within minutes.

Five witnesses testified that Williams then wiped down the shotgun, and four said Williams placed it in the victim's hands.

The defense has maintained the shooting was an accident and that the gun misfired. It has also asserted that the former NBA All-Star was so distraught after the shooting he could not organize a cover-up.

The trial began Feb. 10, with the jury hearing from 43 witnesses over 21 days of testimony.

Last edited by lizchris : Apr 30th, 2004 at 09:33 PM.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #3
country flag decemberlove

decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute decemberlove has a reputation beyond repute
i dont know how i feel about this.

....This is fucked up, fucked up....

This is your blind spot, blind spot.
It should be obvious, but it's not.

You cannot kickstart a dead horse
You just crush yourself and walk away
I don't care what the future holds
Cause I'm right here in your arms today
With your fingers you can touch me

I'll be your black swan, black swan
I'm for spare parts, broken up.

decemberlove is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #4
Ballbuster
Banned

Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point
AND he can get probation. Since this is his first offence that is what he will get.

Good for him.
Ballbuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:14 PM   #5
country flag lizchris

Exclamation

The prosecution fucked up the case when the defense discovered that the gun was taken apart by the prosecution which made it difficult to tell if the gum was fired intentionally or by accident. Once that was was made public and the prosecution was rebuked by the judge, I kenw he would acquitted on the most serious charges because, remember, he had to be found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, but I knew he was going to be found guilty of some of the lesser charges.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:18 PM   #6
Ballbuster
Banned

Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizchris
The prosecution fucked up the case when the defense discovered that the gun was taken apart by the prosecution which made it difficult to tell if the gum was fired intentionally or by accident. Once that was was made public and the prosecution was rebuked by the judge, I kenw he would acquitted on the most serious charges because, remember, he had to be found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, but I knew he was going to be found guilty of some of the lesser charges.
Me too!

but what is with these seedy district attorneys? Damn. They really had an open and shut case, all they had to do was play by the rules.

I'm glad he got off. although, I know for a fact jayson does stupid shit at times.

I'm just glad he won't be in prison.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:22 PM   #7
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute
If you're looking for a Possible Precedent (though from another state) Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis was cleared in a shooting (an obviously accurate decision) a few years ago, but he'd obstructed justice by lying for a friend re. that.

He served no time (and was the Super Bowl MVP the very next year, ironic as the incident was @ a Super Bowl party a year B4 he led the Ravens to paydirt). BTW, I knew Jayson wasn't that good a shooter!

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:25 PM   #8
country flag lizchris

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballbuster
Me too!

but what is with these seedy district attorneys? Damn. They really had an open and shut case, all they had to do was play by the rules.

I'm glad he got off. although, I know for a fact jayson does stupid shit at times.

I'm just glad he won't be in prison.
That's debatable because the jury was hung on the reckless manslaughter charge and he can ge retried on that charge. If he retired and he is found guilty, then he will face prision time.

District attorney in NJ are pretty bad, IMO. I live in Bergen County, NJ and a couple of years ago, the prosecutor fucked up a case of a woman who accused of driving drunk and killing a family of four during Thanksgiving weekend 2001 or 2002. She was charged with manslaughter and driving drunk and was acquitted of all charges.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:28 PM   #9
country flag lizchris

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger
If you're looking for a Possible Precedent (though from another state) Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis was cleared in a shooting (an obviously accurate decision) a few years ago, but he'd obstructed justice by lying for a friend re. that.

He served no time (and was the Super Bowl MVP the very next year, ironic as the incident was @ a Super Bowl party a year B4 he led the Ravens to paydirt). BTW, I knew Jayson wasn't that good a shooter!
The Ray Lews case should have never seen the light of day but he was at the wrong place at the wrong time and was the wrong color, IMO, and came up against a Fulton County DA who wanted to make a name for himself on the back of a person who was obviously innocent.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:33 PM   #10
Ballbuster
Banned

That being said

Are there any people other than

Kobe Bryant
Micheal Jackson and
Jason Williams

in the press for "serious" criminal charges?
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:35 PM   #11
country flag - L i n a -

- L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
That's debatable because the jury was hung on the reckless manslaughter charge and he can ge retried on that charge. If he retired and he is found guilty, then he will face prision time.

District attorney in NJ are pretty bad, IMO. I live in Bergen County, NJ and a couple of years ago, the prosecutor fucked up a case of a woman who accused of driving drunk and killing a family of four during Thanksgiving weekend 2001 or 2002. She was charged with manslaughter and driving drunk and was acquitted of all charges.
He won't be retried...

I'm sorry, but I don't see how this wasn't reckless manslaughter.

Even more... it doesn't make much sense that Williams is guilty of hiding evidence, for a crime that he supposedly did not commit.

Ridiculous.
- L i n a - is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:35 PM   #12
country flag lizchris

Exclamation

Quote:
That being said

Kobe Bryant
Micheal Jackson and
Jason Williams

Robert Blake (his trial is supposed to start on 9/13/04)
Courtney Love (her trial is supposed to start later this year)
Martha Stewart (will be sentenced on 6/17/04)
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:36 PM   #13
country flag lizchris

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by - L i n a -
He won't be retried...

I'm sorry, but I don't see how this wasn't reckless manslaughter.

Even more... it doesn't make much sense that Williams is guilty of hiding evidence, for a crime that he supposedly did not commit.

Ridiculous.
That's why I expect the guilty verdicts to be appealed.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:37 PM   #14
country flag - L i n a -

- L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
That being said

Kobe Bryant
Micheal Jackson and
Jason Williams

Yes, it's all racism... blah blah blah...
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 09:38 PM   #15
country flag - L i n a -

Quote:
That's why I expect the guilty verdicts to be appealed.
It's very unlikely that they will be... that's just how the courts work.