Sabatini - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 07:31 PM   #1
country flag Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil is an unknown quantity at this point Dr.Phil is an unknown quantity at this point Dr.Phil is an unknown quantity at this point Dr.Phil is an unknown quantity at this point Dr.Phil is an unknown quantity at this point Dr.Phil is an unknown quantity at this point Dr.Phil is an unknown quantity at this point Dr.Phil is an unknown quantity at this point Dr.Phil is an unknown quantity at this point Dr.Phil is an unknown quantity at this point Dr.Phil is an unknown quantity at this point
Sabatini

What was her game like?
How good was she?
Dr.Phil is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #2
curtbda

curtbda is an unknown quantity at this point curtbda is an unknown quantity at this point curtbda is an unknown quantity at this point curtbda is an unknown quantity at this point curtbda is an unknown quantity at this point curtbda is an unknown quantity at this point curtbda is an unknown quantity at this point curtbda is an unknown quantity at this point curtbda is an unknown quantity at this point curtbda is an unknown quantity at this point curtbda is an unknown quantity at this point
She had a beautiful game - minus the serve. She hit with the heavy topspin, and probably the most beautiful and explosive topspin backhands down the line (ask Graf , and was remarkably consistent. Her glory years were 1988-1993 where she spent most of her time in the top 5. She struggled to beat Graf consistently however between 1990 and 1992 she had her most victories over her, and was twice 1 game away from the #1 ranking. Her victory in the 1990 US OPen was perhaps the most surprising because she hadn't had that great of a year but she changed her tactics, used her volleying skills and attacked the backhand of Graf...culminating in a 6-2, 7-6 straight set victory. Unfortunately she was never to win another Grand Slam, her best chance in the 1991 WImbledon final where she served for the match twice and was 2 points away, yet her serve and her nerve failed her. The match that would define her career would be her QF at French Open 1993 against Mary Joe Fernandez...she led 6-1, 5-1, 40-15 and lost the match 10-8 in the third. After this match, Sabatini would never be the same. She did regain a bit of her form to win the 1994 Virginia Slims Championships over Lindsay Davenport in straight sets, (ending Martina Navratilova's career). But she had another meltdown at the Lipton championships SF 1995 against Kimiko Date, when she also led 6-1, 5-1, only to lose 7-6 in a third set tiebreaker. Sabatini would retire in October 1996 after suffering through injuries for most of 1996.

I actually believe of the current crop of players, Mauresmo is the most like Sabatini. Their strokes are similar as well as mental toughness (or lack thereof).

I hope to see Sabatini in the Hall of Fame one day! Her legion of fans, and her contribution to the game of tennis should never be overlooked. She was top 10 for 10 years, won 27 career titles, Olympic medalled, won Wimbledon doubles (with Graf), and was a wonderful ambassador for the game!
curtbda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 08:46 PM   #3
pav

pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute pav has a reputation beyond repute
As well as being a great player and having the looks, She was the first female player I remember with a decent throaty grunt,and remember as a little kid , being fascinated with this,(prob. still would be as a slightly older kid)
pav is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 09:12 PM   #4
country flag spencercarlos
Sabatini lover Forever

spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishfan
What was her game like?
How good was she?
I will answer you with some clips ..
Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 9
Straight Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 6
Seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 5
Straight seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 4
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Sabatini has 2 titles 2 Runner up and 3 SF
Martinez has 0 titles, 0 RU, and 0 Sf
Record against the best players
Sabatini 40% Martinez 21%
Head to Head
Sabatini leads 9-6 over Martinez
FWTT Hard 111(111 + ny)Carpet 104(104 + ny)Clay 107(107 + 4) Grass 100(100 ny)
spencercarlos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 09:46 PM   #5
Sonja
Momomental

Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute Sonja has a reputation beyond repute
curtbda is spot on

I think in the later years Gaby was worn down (both physically and mentally) and just didn't have the same enthusiasm for the sport.
Amélie Mauresmo, 2009 GDF Suez, 2007 Proximus Diamond Games, 2006 World No. 1 ,Wimbledon Champion, Proximus Diamond Games, Gaz, Australian Open, 2005 YEC, Advanta Chamionships, Italian Open, Proximus Diamond Games, 2004 World No. 1, Advanta Championships, Generali Linz, Rogers Cup, Italian Open, German Open, 2003 J&S Cup, Advanta Championships, 2002 Rogers AT&T Cup, Dubai Open, 2001 Gaz, Nice, Amelia Island, and Eurocard Ladies German Open, 2000 Adidas International, and 1999 Bratislava Champion

There's a fine line between love and hate; that line is called family!

No one does things exactly the way I want them to. No one ever has. It’s a problem they have!

AZARENKA!
Sonja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 10:47 PM   #6
MAURO

MAURO is a jewel in the rough MAURO is a jewel in the rough MAURO is a jewel in the rough MAURO is a jewel in the rough MAURO is a jewel in the rough MAURO is a jewel in the rough MAURO is a jewel in the rough MAURO is a jewel in the rough MAURO is a jewel in the rough MAURO is a jewel in the rough MAURO is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtbda
She had a beautiful game - minus the serve. She hit with the heavy topspin, and probably the most beautiful and explosive topspin backhands down the line (ask Graf , and was remarkably consistent. Her glory years were 1988-1993 where she spent most of her time in the top 5. She struggled to beat Graf consistently however between 1990 and 1992 she had her most victories over her, and was twice 1 game away from the #1 ranking. Her victory in the 1990 US OPen was perhaps the most surprising because she hadn't had that great of a year but she changed her tactics, used her volleying skills and attacked the backhand of Graf...culminating in a 6-2, 7-6 straight set victory. Unfortunately she was never to win another Grand Slam, her best chance in the 1991 WImbledon final where she served for the match twice and was 2 points away, yet her serve and her nerve failed her. The match that would define her career would be her QF at French Open 1993 against Mary Joe Fernandez...she led 6-1, 5-1, 40-15 and lost the match 10-8 in the third. After this match, Sabatini would never be the same. She did regain a bit of her form to win the 1994 Virginia Slims Championships over Lindsay Davenport in straight sets, (ending Martina Navratilova's career). But she had another meltdown at the Lipton championships SF 1995 against Kimiko Date, when she also led 6-1, 5-1, only to lose 7-6 in a third set tiebreaker. Sabatini would retire in October 1996 after suffering through injuries for most of 1996.

I actually believe of the current crop of players, Mauresmo is the most like Sabatini. Their strokes are similar as well as mental toughness (or lack thereof).

I hope to see Sabatini in the Hall of Fame one day! Her legion of fans, and her contribution to the game of tennis should never be overlooked. She was top 10 for 10 years, won 27 career titles, Olympic medalled, won Wimbledon doubles (with Graf), and was a wonderful ambassador for the game!
this is very good

Sabatini was a magnific player
her best time was when she was close Seles and Graf in the search of the number one
MAURO is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 10:53 PM   #7
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Phil
How good was she?
She was the greatest !!!
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 10:58 PM   #8
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Phil
How good was she?
Really good

spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 12:07 AM   #9
country flag LiliaLee-Frazier

LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy
Really good

LiliaLee-Frazier is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 02:58 AM   #10
country flag SilviaFan

SilviaFan is a glorious beacon of light SilviaFan is a glorious beacon of light SilviaFan is a glorious beacon of light SilviaFan is a glorious beacon of light SilviaFan is a glorious beacon of light SilviaFan is a glorious beacon of light SilviaFan is a glorious beacon of light SilviaFan is a glorious beacon of light SilviaFan is a glorious beacon of light SilviaFan is a glorious beacon of light SilviaFan is a glorious beacon of light
Yes indeed, great and beautiful tennisplayer !!
SilviaFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 03:31 AM   #11
country flag CC

CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute CC has a reputation beyond repute
She played without bra?
CC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 04:47 AM   #12
country flag Justin

Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future Justin has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC
She played without bra?
lol, yes indeed.

But, what a talent. Her backhand down the line was . Her fatal flaw was her nerve. And it showed most often when she was close to a big achievement. Wimbledon '91 should have been hers. Also, she was one match away from the #1 ranking when she lost to Anke Huber in the German Open QF (the day of her 21st b'day); a match people say cost her the #1 ranking b/c she danced the previous night away.

The Fernandez and Date matches were tough to see. She played so well in the '92 French, and was up 4-2 in the third against Monica (who was also close to taking the match in straights). Monica played the best four games I have ever seen and took the SF 6-4 in the third and the tournament.

She was such a nice payer off the court. And, no doubt, will make the Hall of Fame in Newport.
Justin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 05:41 AM   #13
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by pav
As well as being a great player and having the looks, She was the first female player I remember with a decent throaty grunt,and remember as a little kid , being fascinated with this,(prob. still would be as a slightly older kid)
She used to pump up her cheeks, Mary Joe used to do the same thing. Didn't they play each other a lot in juniors anyway? Maybe they copied each other
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 05:48 AM   #14
country flag spencercarlos
Sabatini lover Forever

spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
lol, yes indeed.

But, what a talent. Her backhand down the line was . Her fatal flaw was her nerve. And it showed most often when she was close to a big achievement. Wimbledon '91 should have been hers. Also, she was one match away from the #1 ranking when she lost to Anke Huber in the German Open QF (the day of her 21st b'day); a match people say cost her the #1 ranking b/c she danced the previous night away.

The Fernandez and Date matches were tough to see. She played so well in the '92 French, and was up 4-2 in the third against Monica (who was also close to taking the match in straights). Monica played the best four games I have ever seen and took the SF 6-4 in the third and the tournament.

She was such a nice payer off the court. And, no doubt, will make the Hall of Fame in Newport.
Indeed Seles from 2-4 down hit..... 3+4+2+4=13 winners and only 1 unforced error in route to take the last 4 games of the match. The games were won at 15, at 0, at 15 and the last one after 2 deuces in the last game where Gaby hit 3 winners as well.
Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 9
Straight Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 6
Seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 5
Straight seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 4
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Sabatini has 2 titles 2 Runner up and 3 SF
Martinez has 0 titles, 0 RU, and 0 Sf
Record against the best players
Sabatini 40% Martinez 21%
Head to Head
Sabatini leads 9-6 over Martinez
FWTT Hard 111(111 + ny)Carpet 104(104 + ny)Clay 107(107 + 4) Grass 100(100 ny)
spencercarlos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 08:14 AM   #15
country flag bello

bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold bello is a splendid one to behold
Yep very well written curtba!

Monica Seles' words in a 1996 interview:

"Gaby has more talent than any of us on tour. And the creativity of her shots is and what she does is just amazing"

She was fantastic and should have been no. 1.

LOVE U AND MISS U GABY!!!!

MONICA SELES~NANCY FEBER~ROMINA OPRANDI~ADRIANA SERRA ZANETTI~SERENA WILLIAMS~MIRJANA LUCIC

Rossana De Los Rios ~ Alicia Molik ~ Flavia Pennetta ~ Trudi Musgrave ~ Francesca Schiavone ~Tatiana Golovin ~ Maria Vento-Kabchi ~ Anna Kournikova ~ Chanda Rubin ~ Brenda Schultz-McCarthy ~ Lina Krasnoroutskaya ~ Monica Niculescu ~ Sania Mirza ~ Cindy Watson ~ Patty Schnyder ~ Ashley Harkleroad ~ Sophie Ferguson ~ Barbora Strykova ~ Barbara Schwartz ~ Maria Emilia Salerni ~ Tsvetana Pironkova ~ Lisa McShea ~ Jelena Dokic ~ Iroda Tulyaganova
bello is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote