Fed Cup Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 17th, 2004, 11:14 PM   #1
country flag KoOlMaNsEaN
Team WTAworld

KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute KoOlMaNsEaN has a reputation beyond repute
Fed Cup Thread

Americas Zone Group I 2004

Venue: Capitania Porto Seguro Hotel, Porto Seguro, Brazil
Surface: Red Clay (Outdoors)
Dates: Week Commencing April 19th, 2004

Nations: 9
Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, El Salvador, Mexico, Puerto Rico, Uruguay Format: Nine (9) teams are scheduled to compete in Group I and will be drawn into two Round Robin pools, Pool A with four (4) teams and Pool B with five (5) teams. Seed no.1 will be placed in Pool A. Round Robin Ties for Pool B will be played on Monday-Friday and for Pool A will be played on Tuesday- Friday.
The following Ties will be played on Saturday:
The teams that finish first in each Pool will play off against the teams that finish second in the opposite Pool. This will determine which two teams will be promoted to the 2004 World Group Play Offs in July.
The team that finishes in 3rd position in Pool A will play off against the team that finishes in 5th position in Pool B. The team that finishes in 4th position in Pool A will play off against the team that finishes in 4th position in Pool B. The losers of these play off Ties will be demoted to Group II in 2005.
The team that finishes 3rd in Pool B will not be required to play on Saturday.
Please note that the ITF may amend the format if any of the nominated teams withdraw.

Ana Ivanovic, Serena Williams, Eugenie Bouchard

KoOlMaNsEaN is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 18th, 2004, 04:28 AM   #2
country flag ~CANUCK~
This is my fancy user title

~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute
Here is an article written by steff dubois
Fed Cup Diary - By Stephanie Dubois

Stephanie Dubois
April 13, 2004

Here we are in Jackson, Mississippi, for our prep tournament leading into the Fed Cup matches in Brazil.. (Bankplus/USTA Women's Challenger). This clay event will give us all the opportunity get in some valuable time on this surface prior to the big matches at the end of the month.

After winning my first match in qualifications, I was unable to defeat the #2 seed for the tournament. The good news is I have qualified for the Main Draw of the doubles competition with my Russian partner, Alysa Kleybanova. After two wins in the qualifications, we will play our first Main Draw match today. I am very excited!

My Fed Cup Team colleagues, Mélanie Marois and Marie-Ève Pelletier are both qualified for the Main Draw in both singles and doubles. I’ll have the chance to cheer them on between my doubles matches. Go Girls!

There you have it…my first Fed Cup update. I hope you’ll follow our progress. I’ll keep you all well informed on our results!

Talk to you soon!

Steph
~CANUCK~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 10:20 PM   #3
country flag Marty_mtl

Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice Marty_mtl is just really nice
The way Steph is playing doubles in Jackson makes me think that she should play doubles with Melanie at the Fed Cup!

Marie-Eve and Melanie did not played very well together at Jackson's tournament and maybe that would take some pressure off the shoulders of M-E.
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 12:07 PM   #4
country flag Randy H
Moderator - Juniors

Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute
Here is the draw, posted also in the Fed Cup forum courtesy of Alek

Group B
(1)Canada
(3)Brazil
Uruguay
Chile
Cuba

Group A
(2)Puerto Rico
(4)Mexico
Colombia
El Salvador

Not a bad draw for Canada, we will almost surely be in the top 2 in our group, which would put us into the playoff match with the opposite 2 teams of group A (most likely Puerto Rico and Mexico).

I would expect the toughest opponents to be Brazil and Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico (if Brandi and Castellvi both play) seem the heavy favourites and I would be quite surprised if they lost to any team in the competition. Assuming this, they should finish top of Group A, meaning they play second place of Group B. Hopefully Canada can avoid finishing second and beat the home team Brazil. I still think Brazil is beatable, but they will have the crown support, and I am a bit concerned about singles player 2 as Steph has been struggling a bit and Melanie is only just coming back. Hopefully things will go well though! If we can finish first, then it's likely to be Mexico we play against - I think that match is also winnable, but of course we cannot afford to take any teams lightly.

Go Canada!

(Today we begin against Cuba)
"Religion has actually convinced people that there is an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. Any if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But he loves you."

George Carlin
Randy H is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 02:57 AM   #5
country flag blerr

blerr has a brilliant future blerr has a brilliant future blerr has a brilliant future blerr has a brilliant future blerr has a brilliant future blerr has a brilliant future blerr has a brilliant future blerr has a brilliant future blerr has a brilliant future blerr has a brilliant future blerr has a brilliant future
Great Start Against Cuba today......3-0 lead

Well done
Old Jan 9th, 2013, 02:09 AM   #6
country flag Sportgal1

Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice
Re: Fed Cup Thread

Fed Cup Nominations are in for Americas Zone 1 in Ecuador (Feb 6-9)
http://www.fedcup.com/en/results/gro...icas/2013.aspx

Canada: Aleksandra Wozniak, Eugenie Bouchard, Sharon Fichman, Sylvain Bruneau (captain)

I believe they (hopefully) can still nominate/change players. I can't believe they'd go to Ecuador with only three players, especially with Aleks injured. Where are Dubois or Marino? MEP might be retiring, but she'd probably play Fed Cup. El Tabakh might be injured, I guess. If they need to fill the final spot, it's not like we're lacking in talented juniors you could give the experience to, i.e. Zhao, Routliffe. I can't really see the logic, unless they're waiting on nominating the fourth player.
Sportgal1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #7
country flag Sportgal1

Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice Sportgal1 is just really nice

Dabrowski added to fourth spot
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #8
country flag fabiogiuri

fabiogiuri is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all, sorry for the question..someone say whe Nadal come to play in a master series?!
fabiogiuri is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 09:09 PM   #9
country flag Sportgal1

Canada's group:
Canada
Columbia
Peru
Venezuela

Play starts on Wednesday!
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #10
country flag Brad1973

Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice

Great job by the Canadians to get out of the tougher group. Fichman currently leads 6-0, after a hard fought sixth game, in the first match against Brazil in the final. I'd much rather see Canada in World Group II. They are definitely good enough to be there when Wozniak is healthy.
Brad1973 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #11
country flag Belmont Lad

Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Oof, Fichman drops the first point of the Zonal final with a 0-6 6-0 6-4 loss. Genie up next to try and force a deciding doubles.
Belmont Lad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #12
country flag Brad1973

Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice Brad1973 is just really nice

I thought Gonzalves played very well in her singles match against Fichman. Fichman did a great job to come back and level it at 4 all in the third.

Two-two so far in the first set of the doubles.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #13
country flag Brad1973

5-5 now. Strange match with lobs on half the points. No one seems able to hit an overhead. Dabrowski is the only one on the court with any doubles skills; great reflex volleys.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #14
country flag Belmont Lad

Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute Belmont Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Canada 7-6 2-1 up now in the deciding doubles. Dabrowski doing some nice poaching. Canadians seem to have found their rhythm after trailing 2-5 in the first.
Belmont Lad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #15
country flag Sportgal1

Do you guys have a stream? Hopefully Canada can pull this out, it's too bad Fichman lost.