Monica Seles before 1993 - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 15th, 2004, 08:41 AM   #16
country flag Robert1

Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light
Tell me the match in which Monica grunts when hitting a dropshot, Alfa. Tell me ONE single dropshot on which she grunted, please, and I'll check it on tape. (Let alone grunt louder than on hitting groundstrokes). It's just not true.

Anyway, Joana, they were watching a Monica match on TV on the first day of the war? Wow, that is true love The days after the stabbing hundreds of Serbs gathered, demonstrating their support for Monica, also in Germany.

BTW Why was Monica's grunting an issue all the time back then but the Williams (IMO awful, like animal's) grunting is never an issue ??
Robert1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 15th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #17
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
I think Monica pushed back the boundaries in the grunting tolerance department, Robert, and made it easier for all the grunters who came along after her. Her grunt was often referred to in the early comeback period, I remember, the general line being: isn't it wonderful to hear that grunt again!

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #18
country flag Robert1

Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
I think Monica pushed back the boundaries in the grunting tolerance department, Robert,
You're probably right, Andy.
I also remember when talking to others about Tennis in general and the Seles topic came up, what they said was "uuuhh, she's grunting". The grunt itself had some aggressive tone in it and once a commentator said that made people (wrongly) lead to the thought Monica might be an aggressive person. It couldn't have been more different...
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 12:50 PM   #19
country flag Joana

Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaM
Interesting to hear about Monica's popularity in Yugoslavia. I'm a little curious as to how people reacted when she returned to the game as a U.S. Citizen. Were you disappointed, but understand why she did it? What's really the view of her now in that region?

I remember reading, perhaps on this board, that when Goran was asked a question about Monica during Wimbledon '92, he mentioned he wouldn't dance with her at the ball if both of them won the title.
Some were dissapointed, yes, but most understood her decision, and she was still the most popular tennis player by far. There was an article in a magazine around that time that said: "This country gave Monica nothing but water to shower with after practising, so why should we expect her to owe it something?"
She is still the favourite of most tennis fans and obviously everyone knows who she is.

During the Clinton - Monica Lewinsky affair my neighbour, a 90 year old woman was watching athe news and after hearing the report she exclaimed: "Oh no, that can't be true, that sweet little girl from Novi Sad could never do something like that."
Joana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #20
country flag Robert1

hahaha, that's so funny Joanna.

Just the other day I was having dinner at my friend's (she's Croatian) and somehow Tennis came up as a subject, suddenly her mother asked whether I knew how Monika Seles is doing these days. Boy, 100% of the Yugoslavian population knew her.

Joana, do you know anything about the Federation Cup issue? She had the ranking to play in 88 already and I heard she wanted to play at the Olympics in 1988 but wasn't allowed by the Yugoslavian Tennis Association.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 02:17 PM   #21
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1
Tell me the match in which Monica grunts when hitting a dropshot, Alfa. Tell me ONE single dropshot on which she grunted, please, and I'll check it on tape. (Let alone grunt louder than on hitting groundstrokes). It's just not true.

Anyway, Joana, they were watching a Monica match on TV on the first day of the war? Wow, that is true love The days after the stabbing hundreds of Serbs gathered, demonstrating their support for Monica, also in Germany.

BTW Why was Monica's grunting an issue all the time back then but the Williams (IMO awful, like animal's) grunting is never an issue ??
I'll go through my Seles matches tonight and let you know, sweetie! I believe it to be one of the VS of California finals she played against Martina Navratilova, but it could be a VS Championship match too- all I remember is the blue carpet, and Martina giving Monica a big stare-down for being so loud on a drop shot.

On second thought, I just made it up. I hate Monica Seles, always have. She's a disgusting Hungarian Fishwife from the wrong side of a smelly market on a hot afternoon. I hope she comes back soon so anybody in the top 50 can expose her fat ass on the tennis court again and again until she puts her racquet back in the garage.

Oh, and by the way, I have a bridge to sell you too, Robert. It's called a cultural bridge, and it tranforms all negativity into intelligent, peaceful communication filled with respect and mutual admiration. Only rule to be able to walk on this bridge is sunglasses are against the law.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 02:47 PM   #22
country flag Robert1

Yaaaawwwwn, Alfa, didn't we have that before? You take things too personal and you showed your cultural intellect by messing up the Serbian/Croatian issue, so bla bla bla bla bla. Got it?

You can insult Monica Seles, I don't care. You don't get the facts straight anyway, Seles grunting on hitting a dropshot, lol. Once you wrote you were crying after the stabbing, now she's a disgusting Hungarian fishwife to you. I know that's not meant so serious, probably only to hit me personally, but even then it simply doesn't show much spine, sorry to say.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #23
country flag Robert1

Joana, I remember the official excuses for Monica's Federation Cup withdrawels were 1989 the long journey to Japan, 1990 school exams, 1991 injury. That's what a Yugoslavian official said.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 03:00 PM   #24
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1
Yaaaawwwwn, Alfa, didn't we have that before? You take things too personal and you showed your cultural intellect by messing up the Serbian/Croatian issue, so bla bla bla bla bla. Got it?

You can insult Monica Seles, I don't care. You don't get the facts straight anyway, Seles grunting on hitting a dropshot, lol. Once you wrote you were crying after the stabbing, now she's a disgusting Hungarian fishwife to you. I know that's not meant so serious, probably only to hit me personally, but even then it simply doesn't show much spine, sorry to say.
Talk to me after Monica retires, Robert. I can help you with your withdrawal from addiction.

P.S.- If I actually give you the match and set and point where she does grunt on a drop shot- will you kiss me and say you're sorry? I'll bring my English-Deutsch / Deutsch-English translator to interpret... Oh, and you're right about the Fishwife comment- very perceptive of you- must have had one of the lenses down for a second or two.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #25
country flag Joana

Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute Joana has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't heard that she wasn't allowed to play in Seoul. Seems pretty weird, but our National sports federations have always been fu*ked up, so you can expect everything from them.
It's public secret that Monica didn't want to play for Fed Cup team because she didn't get enough (any) support from Tennis Asociation. They didn't seem to care about women's tennis and that has changed only recently. Stupid, because we have always had better female players.
Joana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2004, 07:36 AM   #26
country flag Robert1

Indeed, there was Mima Jausovec, she won the French Open once and reached the finals there another 2 times, and she was a top ten player, had wins over Navratilova, King, Jaeger and so forth. Was she popular in your country? I wonder how she managed to play all the American tournaments it must have very tough especially in the beginning, without support of the Yugoslavian Tennis Federation and they didn't earn that much money in the early 70s in women's Tennis. Sabrina Goles was good, too. There was another good junior player who beat Monika Seles 9 times in a row in the junior days, her name was Ivana R??????. Do you know her?
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 01:25 AM   #27
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joana
I haven't heard that she wasn't allowed to play in Seoul. Seems pretty weird, but our National sports federations have always been fu*ked up, so you can expect everything from them.
It's public secret that Monica didn't want to play for Fed Cup team because she didn't get enough (any) support from Tennis Asociation. They didn't seem to care about women's tennis and that has changed only recently. Stupid, because we have always had better female players.
It was a bit of everything. Monica once said that when she was a nobody the federation didn't want to know her and because she became good they then became interested. Plus I don't think she was eligible anyway for Seoul because she had never represented Yugoslavia previously OR wasn't in good standing with the federation - which was another selection criteria. Mima Jausovec was understanding of Monica's reasoning however said that how can a federation support players when they don't have any money to do so.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 01:04 PM   #28
country flag hingis-seles

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
On second thought, I just made it up. I hate Monica Seles, always have. She's a disgusting Hungarian Fishwife from the wrong side of a smelly market on a hot afternoon. I hope she comes back soon so anybody in the top 50 can expose her fat ass on the tennis court again and again until she puts her racquet back in the garage.

Oh, and by the way, I have a bridge to sell you too, Robert. It's called a cultural bridge, and it tranforms all negativity into intelligent, peaceful communication filled with respect and mutual admiration. Only rule to be able to walk on this bridge is sunglasses are against the law.

OMG! Jeff, stop it. You're killing me!

*dies of laughter*
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 01:10 PM   #29

hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute hingis-seles has a reputation beyond repute
I remember from Ladies of the Court that Monica was quoted as saying that she did not see the point in playing because Yugoslavia did not have a good second player and that they would probably run into Germany in the opening round and get killed.
Old Apr 17th, 2004, 01:15 PM   #30

I still fail to understand why everyone created such a fuss about Monica's grunting? I do not think it warranted the media frenzy it suffered. Was it because the players were trying to get to Monica, since she seemed invincible at the time? I remember watching my tape of the 1992 Wimbledon final and Virginia Wade (or was it Ann Jones?) said something to the effect of how the other players were threatened by Monica's dominance, hence the complaining of the grunting.

Your thoughts?