Monica: Will she play? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 12th, 2004, 02:40 PM   #1
bwguy

bwguy has disabled reputation
Monica: Will she play?

We know according to the items below that she has expressed interest, but hasn't formally requested a wildcard as of yet. Please post any updates here.

From the South Floriday Sun-Sentinel (March 31):
Seles targets May for comeback bid
By Charles Bricker and Harvey Fialkov

KEY BISCAYNE ∑ Her weight down and her spirits up, Monica Seles said Tuesday her plan to get back on tour following a one-year injury layoff will begin in Strasbourg, France (May 17-23), and then immediately to the French Open. But, she cautioned, everything depends on her fitness level. "If I'm not ready by the French Open, I'll keep working until I am," she said.

Seles, 30, hasn't played a match since losing to Nadia Petrova in the first round at Roland Garros in 2003. It's been a long time since she looked this slim, though she couldn't say how much weight she has lost.

"I never get on the scale," she said. But she went on to say that her doctor has told her if she wants to play tournament tennis again she must reduce the amount of weight on her left foot.

She has been practicing one and a half hours a day with her brother Zoltan. Seles said when she's hitting the ball better she might be ready for one of her favorite sparring mates, former ATP pro Jimmy Arias. The holder of nine Grand Slam titles, Seles probably won't get a 10th. But she wants to play because of her attachment to tennis.

"I love the purity of this game," said Seles, who has played Key Biscayne nine times with two titles (1990 and '91).

From the Strasbourg tournament website (under Presse - April 2):
(This is processed through a translation service so it's not particularly clear --sorry)

Seles wants to begin again Motiv√©es... and fid√®les since l'on will find five of the eight quarters of finalists of 2003 (Bartoli, Farina Elia, Karkleroad, Loit and Sprem). With ¬ "cut-off ¬" plac√© with the 61e world row (¬ "C'est better than l'an last ¬"), the YEWS is still mont√©s d'un notch with, √ this day, two girls of signal 10 world. And yesterday, in d√©but d'apr√®s-midday, a √©mail of the WTA arriv√© √ Strasbourg made √©tat wish of Monica Seles (224 WTA) play the YEWS. ¬"C'est √ to confirm in the next days but it would be incredible of l'avoir!¬"

Does anyone know the cut-off date for requesting a wildcard or when they will be announced?
bwguy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 12th, 2004, 06:00 PM   #2
rfs1999

rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice
Go Monica!
rfs1999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 08:26 PM   #3
country flag LiliaLee-Frazier

LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of LiliaLee-Frazier has much to be proud of
Wink

Crosses fingers that she will
LiliaLee-Frazier is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 11:33 PM   #4
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
Come back Monica
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 01:37 PM   #5
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute
Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO MARTINA HINGIS!!!!!!!!
Myskina, kirilenko, chakvetadze. Douchevina, Petrova, Clijsters, Zvonareva, Dementieva, Vaidiosava, Voskoboeva, !!!!!

Daniel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 03:25 PM   #6
country flag Jarrett
Don't mess with Texas!

Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of
According to the tournament director, Monica hasn't filed a wildcard request yet. But he also said that he would be very please to welcome Monica in the event.
"Gee, Quinn... I hope that little foray of yours into Geekland just now is the result of heat exhaustion, and not an unpleasant side effect of all that tutoring. I mean, you're not turning into a brain, are you?" -- Sandi

Jarrett is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2004, 08:23 PM   #7
rfs1999

rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice rfs1999 is just really nice
Go Monica!
rfs1999 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 09:44 AM   #8
country flag Daniel

Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Daniel has a reputation beyond repute
GO !!!

Myskina, kirilenko, chakvetadze. Douchevina, Petrova, Clijsters, Zvonareva, Dementieva, Vaidiosava, Voskoboeva, !!!!!

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 11:13 AM   #9
jabauer

jabauer is infamous around these parts jabauer is infamous around these parts jabauer is infamous around these parts jabauer is infamous around these parts jabauer is infamous around these parts jabauer is infamous around these parts jabauer is infamous around these parts jabauer is infamous around these parts jabauer is infamous around these parts jabauer is infamous around these parts jabauer is infamous around these parts
monica's comeback

Not sure how good of shape she's in, but I did see her
when she was in Tampa and she looked almost sickly thin.
jabauer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 05:30 PM   #10
country flag ktwtennis

ktwtennis is a name known to all ktwtennis is a name known to all ktwtennis is a name known to all ktwtennis is a name known to all ktwtennis is a name known to all ktwtennis is a name known to all ktwtennis is a name known to all ktwtennis is a name known to all ktwtennis is a name known to all ktwtennis is a name known to all ktwtennis is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabauer
Not sure how good of shape she's in, but I did see her
when she was in Tampa and she looked almost sickly thin.
How long ago was this? When and where did you see her?

I am a sinner too!
Jesus answered and said to him[Nicodemus, a Pharisee],"Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again[of the Spirit/above], he cannot see the kingdom of God."--John 3:3

Good works can't save you from hell!! Jesus loves you and wants to be in your heart and mind!!!

I will worship Jesus forever!
ktwtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 01:50 PM   #11
country flag Mase
In my new place!!

Mase has a reputation beyond repute Mase has a reputation beyond repute Mase has a reputation beyond repute Mase has a reputation beyond repute Mase has a reputation beyond repute Mase has a reputation beyond repute Mase has a reputation beyond repute Mase has a reputation beyond repute Mase has a reputation beyond repute Mase has a reputation beyond repute Mase has a reputation beyond repute
She was very thin... Thats from when I saw her in Richmond. I wouldnt say sickly but she had lost quite some weight.

Mase is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 03:51 PM   #12
country flag R&J

R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mase
She was very thin... Thats from when I saw her in Richmond. I wouldnt say sickly but she had lost quite some weight.
Definitely - she looked awesome in Virginia. Ronny and I had our hands around her waist in one of our pictures with her, and her waist was very small.
I sure hope that she can play this event, cause I am sure that she really wants to play the French. But I feel like if she isnt ready by this event, that she will skip the French and come back at WTT in July....just my opinion.
Check out the Photo Gallery to view thousands of photos from Monica's career.

R&J is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 03:53 PM   #13
country flag Jarrett
Don't mess with Texas!

Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of Jarrett has much to be proud of
R&J, that is VERY possible (about coming back at WTT) but I hope that is not the case. Well I guess her coming back at all would be a good thing.
"Gee, Quinn... I hope that little foray of yours into Geekland just now is the result of heat exhaustion, and not an unpleasant side effect of all that tutoring. I mean, you're not turning into a brain, are you?" -- Sandi

Jarrett is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 03:59 PM   #14
country flag R&J

R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute R&J has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett
R&J, that is VERY possible (about coming back at WTT) but I hope that is not the case. Well I guess her coming back at all would be a good thing.
HI Jarrett I love your avatar!
I also hope that she can come back to tennis here at the Strasbourg tournament - cause I really want her to be able to play the French Open.
But if she doesnt play this event, I sure hope that she doesnt start her first match back at the French!
So maybe she is planning ahead of time with WTT, just in case.
Check out the Photo Gallery to view thousands of photos from Monica's career.

R&J is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 08:01 AM   #15
country flag Daniel

Come on!!!!!!