Aussie in Overseas Challengers - Page 161 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2012, 03:27 AM   #2401
country flag TS

TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aussie in Overseas Challengers

She tweeted that it was her body telling her it's been a long year and it's time for a holiday.

Gee, way to give credit to your opponent.
TS is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 27th, 2012, 04:32 AM   #2402
country flag petey_pan
Aussie Cockatoo

petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS View Post
She tweeted that it was her body telling her it's been a long year and it's time for a holiday.

Gee, way to give credit to your opponent.
expect any less from Anastasia? I knew Carina would win.

Maria SHARAPOVA Eugenie BOUCHARD Laura ROBSON Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA Heather WATSON
Casey DELLACQUA Jarmila GAJDOSOVA Taylor TOWNSEND Naomi BROADY Madison KEYS Sam STOSUR
petey_pan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #2403
country flag Chris93

Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold

Mon through to the final with a 6-3 6-4 win. Takes on top seed Alexa Glatch in the final. Would be great for her if she could win it.
Sharapova ~ Li ~ Kerber ~ Kvitova ~ Kirilenko ~ Ivanovic ~ Stephens ~ Makarova ~ Safarova ~ Cirstea ~ Goerges ~ Cornet ~ Lisicki ~ Robson ~ Watson ~ Kanepi ~ Keys ~ Tsurenko ~ Wozniak ~ Puig ~ Oudin ~ Petkovic ~ Sevastova ~ Rezai

AND OF COURSE ALL THE AUSSIES!!!
Chris93 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #2404
country flag Kəv.

Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute

Can you believe that there will be 8 Aussie girls in top 200 after next week !!

But only 2 in top 100

But this is great stuff!! when was the last time there was so many Aussie girls in top 200

Imagine Dragons. Of Monsters and Men. Samantha Jade. Bastille <3

R.I.P Forever Elena Baltacha <3
Kəv. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #2405
country flag Territory

Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute

That's good news, especially when you look at the Aussie men who only have 4 in the top 200.

We had 8 women in the top 200 back in August before Jelena Dokic dropped out. Prior to the we almost had 8 in the top 150 back in 2010 before Adamczak got injured, before Sophie F retired and before Liv's big slump hit her ranking hard.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #2406
country flag Chris93

Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold Chris93 is a splendid one to behold

Mom lost 6-2 6-3. still a great 2 weeks.
Sharapova ~ Li ~ Kerber ~ Kvitova ~ Kirilenko ~ Ivanovic ~ Stephens ~ Makarova ~ Safarova ~ Cirstea ~ Goerges ~ Cornet ~ Lisicki ~ Robson ~ Watson ~ Kanepi ~ Keys ~ Tsurenko ~ Wozniak ~ Puig ~ Oudin ~ Petkovic ~ Sevastova ~ Rezai

Old Oct 30th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #2407
country flag Territory

Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute

Abbie Myers won her first round in Greece $10K

Mon plays her R1 in Taipei WTA125 later today. There are livescores through the WTA website.
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #2408
country flag Vicky88

Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Territory View Post
That's good news, especially when you look at the Aussie men who only have 4 in the top 200.

We had 8 women in the top 200 back in August before Jelena Dokic dropped out. Prior to the we almost had 8 in the top 150 back in 2010 before Adamczak got injured, before Sophie F retired and before Liv's big slump hit her ranking hard.
I think I prefer the male situation to that of the female. Those 4 Aussie men are now all top 100 which is way better than the female situation. YOu have Sam in the top 10, Casey hanging on to the top 100 by her fingernails then the other six are just bouncing around between 100-200. When was the last time we had a female crack the top 100 for the first time?

A lot of the guys seems to have made significant progress over the past 2 years, can't say that for the girls.
Vicky88 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 12:20 AM   #2409
country flag Chris93

Good luck to Mon tough match against Garcia.

Old Oct 31st, 2012, 12:36 AM   #2410
country flag Vicky88

Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of Vicky88 has much to be proud of

Didn't Mon beat Garcia a couple of weeks ago in Japan? Tough but winnable I think.
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 12:50 AM   #2411
country flag Chris93

Yeah he did. I still think it will be tough though.

Old Oct 31st, 2012, 01:02 AM   #2412
country flag Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky88 View Post
I think I prefer the male situation to that of the female. Those 4 Aussie men are now all top 100 which is way better than the female situation. YOu have Sam in the top 10, Casey hanging on to the top 100 by her fingernails then the other six are just bouncing around between 100-200. When was the last time we had a female crack the top 100 for the first time?

A lot of the guys seems to have made significant progress over the past 2 years, can't say that for the girls.
I don't reckon the men are any better. Tomic is all over the place, Ebden is now out of the top 100 after an average season, Hewitt isn't long for this world and I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if Marinko can go much higher. The fact that no other guy can even make the top 200 is pretty ordinary if you ask me.

This year we had Liv, Sacha and Ashleigh all hit career highs and Casey hasn't been ranked this high since 2008. Yes, lots of girls have struggled with slumps and injury this year but despite that we still have 8 top 200 players. That's pretty good if you ask me.
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 03:01 AM   #2413
country flag Vicky88

Personally I don't think it all means much if they can't break thru to the top 100 and get the DE to the slams. Career highs mean jack unless they are consistently trending upwards. I recognise that Liv has had a reasonably successful year at the ITF level, but is her year end ranking going to be any higher than what it was after the AO? Sasha started off with bang and hasn't really followed thru. Top 100 is something to get excited about, it means DE to Slams, DE to some of the lower tier WTA events. Top 200 means flopping around from challenger to challenger and hoping to vulture lots of easy points on the Aussie swing.

However the positive we can take from the male situation is the guys that have come thru Ebden and Marinko are both later bloomers. BTW Ebden is back in the top 100. A ranking of 46 for Marinko, even if that is as high as he goes is nothing to be ashamed of. Lleyton, agree there aren't too many matches left for him and Tomic seems destined to implode.

Points Week Change Tourn Played
46 Matosevic, Marinko (AUS) 825 0 28
48 Tomic, Bernard (AUS) 805 -3 27
74 Hewitt, Lleyton (AUS) 625 4 13
96 Ebden, Matthew (AUS) 519 8 24
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 03:38 AM   #2414
country flag binky-GOAT

binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of binky-GOAT has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky88 View Post
Personally I don't think it all means much if they can't break thru to the top 100 and get the DE to the slams. Career highs mean jack unless they are consistently trending upwards. I recognise that Liv has had a reasonably successful year at the ITF level, but is her year end ranking going to be any higher than what it was after the AO? Sasha started off with bang and hasn't really followed thru. Top 100 is something to get excited about, it means DE to Slams, DE to some of the lower tier WTA events. Top 200 means flopping around from challenger to challenger and hoping to vulture lots of easy points on the Aussie swing.

However the positive we can take from the male situation is the guys that have come thru Ebden and Marinko are both later bloomers. BTW Ebden is back in the top 100. A ranking of 46 for Marinko, even if that is as high as he goes is nothing to be ashamed of. Lleyton, agree there aren't too many matches left for him and Tomic seems destined to implode.

Points Week Change Tourn Played
46 Matosevic, Marinko (AUS) 825 0 28
48 Tomic, Bernard (AUS) 805 -3 27
74 Hewitt, Lleyton (AUS) 625 4 13
96 Ebden, Matthew (AUS) 519 8 24

I mostly agree with you, in that let's be frank here and state the obvious.

Tomic is in some serious shit, but unless he quits tennis, he won't drop out of top 100, his talent will keep him in it, and that's worst case (except retiring). Even after a horrible year, he's still near top 50.

Matosevic and Ebden are nothing but journeymen in a good patch of form, they will drop out soon and they won't have any big impact in any big tournament anyway, for example Ebden at AO this year. They are nobodies as far as most people are concerned.

Also with Liv and Sacha, they are not going anywhere. Despite the huge support (which borders on delusion sometimes) that they will. They might get into top 100 at some point, but it will be the same case like Matosevic or Ebden, not for long or doing anything significant, just whoring points and having a fluke run at a WTA.

Not sure how long Stosur can keep it going for in terms of near top 10 quality. She's aging and seems mentality tired. Hewitt is already toast.

In the junior mens side there is nobody that can match Tomic's achievements (even if he retired now), let alone Hewitt. Saville will probably be a late developer and have better success than someone like Ebden, but I can't see him going far. Ditto Duckworth. Others like Kubler and Mitchell are nothing special.

Junior girls side of course there's Barty, right now her career path is wide open, she can become anything, the next few years will indicate what she's destined for. Although it's obvious now it's Top 100 at least. She's the only hope for Aussie tennis at the moment and rightfully so should be given most support from TA with respect to WCs etc. over the likes of other Aussies mentioned previously.

Other junior girls are again similar to the boys, nothing special, probably even worse in terms of achievements. There is some hope in the very young girls like Cabrera for example, although it's still early days. Bains despite all the hype has been very disappointing, I expect nothing special from her, although she's still 14 so might surprise us next year.

In conclusion, don't expect 2 world class players from either mens or womens side in the future, so it's nothing different than what we have had before.
binky-GOAT is offline View My Blog!  
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 02:57 PM   #2415
country flag jack21

jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold jack21 is a splendid one to behold

I don't think that reaching the top 100 or even top 200 is anything to be scoffed at. The acheviements of players like Matosovic and Ebden set a fantastic example for other Aussie players as it shows what can be acheived with experience and hard work, even if a player isn't the most naturally talented around.

What we should be aiming for is to create a higher level of domestic competition for players working their way up the rankings. Greater depth of competition will mean that players will have to work harder for oportunities and handouts and hopefully this will end the current culture of throwing these opportunities at players who show some promise but then don't progress any further simply because they have next to no competition.

This is why every player who reaches the top 200 or higher is important because although they may not have a spectacular career themselves, they are helping to increase the level of competiton and this will ultimately benefit the players coming up behind them as they will be exposed to better quality players from a younger age rather than raking up points against weak oposition in Australia and then being unprepared for the level of oposition that they face when travelling overseas.

TA also need to ditch their policy of giving WC's to players based on talent and potential. IMO these decisions should be based purely on results. If that means giving them to players who are never going to be tour level players but have traveled and worked hard to improve their games and their rankings over young players who have greater potential but few results, then so be it.

Jarmila Gajdosova, Ash Barty, Olivia Rogowska, Abbie Myers

Lucie Safarova, Daniela Hantuchova, Kristina Mladenovic, Sabine Lisicki
jack21 is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread