The Margaret Osborne Dupont thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #1
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
The Margaret Osborne Dupont thread

Margaret Osborne Dupont is often a forgotten champion, but she shouldn't be.

A 6 time singles grand slam winner, she won the singles, doubles and mixed of the "Big Three" slams. DuPont never got around to playing in Australia, largely because her husband Will DuPont wouldn't allow it.

She stands 4th on the all-time slam list (36 slams)even without ever entering the Aussie and play being limited only to the US from 1940-45

She holds the record for most consecutive US doubles titles (10) wining in 1941 with Palfrey and 42-50 with Brough.

With her good friend and doubles partner Louise Brough she was one half of perhaps the greatest doubles team in history. From 1942 to 1950 they were undefeated in winning 9 consecutive US doubles titles. Their 51 match streak was snapped in the 51 finals by Fry and Hart, who saved match points.

Speaking of match points, DuPont won two majors from the brink of defeat, saving match points in the 46 French final vs. Betz and the 48 US final vs. Brough. The 1948 encounter remains the longest ever 3 US women's final in games (4-6 6-4 15-13-48 games in all).

Her career spanned 4 decades, starting in 1935 and lasting to 1962. Her peak was 1946-50, winning a slam every year. After the birth of her son Will Jr. (Billy) in the early 50s she played sporadically.

She won slams 3 decades, the first in 1941-and the last in 1960 in taking the US mixed, a spam of 19 years between first and last slams.

Dupont was known for her heady play.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Osborne_duPont

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 19th, 2007 at 02:09 AM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #2
country flag Johnny O

Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all
Re: The Margaret Osborne Dupont thread

I always thought Margaret had a daughter? Isn't Laura duPont her child? According to that wikipedia entry, she only had a son. I'm confused.

Interesting that it talks about her marriage to William duPont, but no mention at all of their divorce and her relationship with Margaret Varner that replaced it.
Johnny O is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #3
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I always thought Margaret had a daughter? Isn't Laura duPont her child? According to that wikipedia entry, she only had a son. I'm confused.Interesting that it talks about her marriage to William duPont, but no mention at all of their divorce and her relationship with Margaret Varner that replaced it.
I thought so too at first Johnny-but the wiki article is correct, Willy and Margaret only had a son named Billy.

The whole Willy DuPont story is a grand mystery. He apparently had two passions-tennis and horses. Since Margaret also loved horses maybe it's something they had in common? At any rate he divorced his wife and then remarried the much younger Osborne. His wife and two kids by wife #1 were very bitter-the son later killed someone in 1996
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_El...3%A8re_du_Pont

When Alfajeffster and I interviewed Pauline Betz she told us Willy was one odd bird-she said he always smelled and was a cold fish. Louise Brough more or less said the same thing, though she was more positive about him. At times Willy would give Louise and "Ozzie" (Brough's nickname for Osborne) nice gifts even before he married Margaret. LOL-if my memory is right Louise told me Willy even tried to hit on her once as he was sitting between her and Ozzy in the back seat of his limo. Louise moved away-I guess Ozzy didn't because she got the ring!

The other wild card in this whole shebang was Alice Marble-who wrote in HER book that Willy wanted to leave his wife for her.

Once she was married Margaret and Will settled at Bellevue Hall, (now a state park) until the 1965 divorce.

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 19th, 2007 at 02:01 AM.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:28 AM   #4
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Here a 2004 pic of Varner (on the left) and DuPont (right). They have a ranch near El Paso, Texas.

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #5
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

From the late 40s.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #6
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Sorry for the small size of this pic. It's a press photo I own from 1955. Brough and Margaret returned from England on the Queen Mary and carried off their own luggage due to a porter's strike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brough-Dupont.jpg (16.2 KB, 6 views)
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #7
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

US Open Records

Most women's doubles titles:
13, Margaret Osborne duPont (1941-50, 1955-57)

Most doubles titles by a women's team:
12, Louise Brough and Margaret Osborne duPont (1942-50, 1955-57)

Most mixed doubles titles (women):
9, Margaret Osborne duPont (1943-46, 1950, 1956, 1958-60)

Most mixed doubles titles by a team:
4, Margaret Osborne duPont and Billy Talbert (1943-46)

Most singles, doubles, and mixed doubles titles (women):
25, Margaret Osborne duPont (3 singles, 13 doubles, 9 mixed)

*Talbert was a good friend of the Duponts, and Willy sponsored him in his early days.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #8
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Walking out onto centre court--1947 Wimbledon. It was Ozzy's only singles title at the All-England. She narrowly lost the 1950 final to Louise 10-8 in the third.

Oddly enough the friends reversed success and failure at the US Nationals, where Dupont won 3 times overall and Brough only won once.

Dupont first learnt tennis on clay courts in the northwest before moving to California, which might explain why she was able to take a couple of French slams as well.

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 19th, 2007 at 02:33 AM.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #9
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Career Statistics

Preliminary Singles Titles Count (Thanks to Andrew Tas for much of this)

1935 (2)

Pacific Northwest
Candian Nationals-----d Raegener 6-4 6-2

1936 (2)

Northern California Indoor-----d Keating 6-1 3-6 6-3 in final
Pacific Coast Championships-----Kovacs 0-6 6-1 6-3 in final

1937 (1)

Northern California Indoor-----d Wolfenden 13-11 1-6 6-3 in final

1938 (1)

Northern California Indoor-----d Gabel 6-1 6-0 in final

1940 (1)

San Francisco City

1941 (2)

Essex Championships, Manchester-----d Helen Bernhard 6-4 6-3
Pacific Coast Championships

1942 (2)

California State-----d Barbara Krase 6-4 6-0 in final
Pacific Coast Championsgips-----d Barbara Krase 6-1 6-0 in final

1943 (2)

California State-----d Dottie Head 1-6 6-2 6-3 in final
Eastern Grass-----d Doris Hart 6-2 6-4 in final

1944 (2)

Delaware State Women's Grass-----d Louise Brough 11-13 6-2 6-2 in final
Pacific Coast Championships-----d Louise Brough 8-6 3-6 8-6 in final

1945 (3)

California State-----d Louise Brough 6-4 6-3 in final.
Delaware Championships-----d Pauline Betz 3-6 6-4 7-4 in final.
Pacific Southwest Championships-----d Pauline Betz 11-9 6-2 in final

1946 (4)

Northern Tournament, Manchester-----d Louise Brough 6-1 6-3 in final
French Championships-----d Pauline Betz 1-6 8-6 7-5 in final
Pacific Coast Championships-----d Barbara Krase 6-4 6-1
Argentine Championships-----d Louise Brough 5-7 6-4 6-4 in final

1947 (4)

Bay Counties Championships
Wimbledon-----d Doris Hart 6-2 6-4 in final
Eastern Grass-----d Louise Brough 6-3 4-6 9-7 in final
Pacific Coast Championships-----d Dottie Knode 6-1 6-2 in final

1948 (1.5)

Divided Queen's title
US National-----d louise Brough 4-6 6-4 15-13 in final

1949 (3)

French Chmpionships-----d Nelly Adamson 7-5 6-2 in final
Essex,Manchester-----d Doris Hart 3-6 6-4 6-3 in final
US Nationals-----d Doris Hart 6-4 6-1 in final

1950 (2)

Essex-----d Beverly Baker 6-3 6-0 in final
US Nationals-----d Doris Hart 6-3 6-3 in final

1951 (1)

Wiesbaden-----d. Von Gerlach 7-5 6-4 in final

1953 (1)

Middle States -----d. Louise Brough 6-4 6-4 in final

1958 (1)

Middle States----- d. Thomas 6-2 6-4 in final

Total Confirmed singles titles=35

Margaret played a very light tournament schedule throughout her career. Unlike contemporaries such as Doris Hart and Shirley Fry she never made a world tour consisting of 20 or more events in a year. Even her good friend and doubles partner Louise Brough played in Australia, something Margaret dreamed of but never managed. Her husband Willy liked to vacation in California in January and threatened to divorce her if she made the trip!

Last edited by Rollo : Oct 27th, 2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #10
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 19th, 2007 at 02:19 AM.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #11
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Last edited by Rollo : Mar 19th, 2007 at 02:19 AM.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #12
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #13
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #14
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #15
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP