The Canadian Tennis Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 01:05 PM   #1
country flag Randy H
Moderator - Juniors

Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute
The Canadian Tennis Thread

Hey everyone!

Now I know some of you are probably thinking 'What? Canadians and tennis? Those two words just don't go together!'. Well, believe it or not, we Canadians do have a few decent players, and I think that they deserve their justice and a thread to support all of their efforts (After all, if the Brits get a cheering section, then why the heck not a Canuck section? ).

Anyway, I hope that many people will post here and prove just how many Canadian fans there are out there, whether you like them all, or only a couple.

For those of you who may not have been enlightened about the 'familiar' faces of Canadian tennis, then here are some names to look around for on the WTA Tour, and more commonly the challenger events.

*Maureen Drake
*Vanessa Webb
*Marie-Eve Pelletier
*Jana Nejedly
*Sonya Jeyaseelan
*Melanie Marois
*Diana Srebrovic
*Beier Ko
*Stephanie Dubois
*Monika Dancevic
*Aleksandra Wozniak
*Karine Ionesco
*Erica Biro
*Nancy Loeffler-Caro
*Aneta Soukup-Zahalka
*Katarina Zoricic
*Kavitha Krishnamurthy
*Ioana Plesu

Those are just a few names, but there are also several more names who compete in the NCAA, aswell as upcoming junior players who will hopefully be able to make an impact in Canadian tennis in the future.

Lastly, there is always room for any fans of the retired players too

Patricia Hy-Boulais, Renata Kolbovic, Rene Simpson, Carling Bassett-Seguso, Helen Kelesi, Jill Hetherington, and Martina Nejedly namely

Randy
Randy H is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:20 PM   #2
country flag Randy H
Moderator - Juniors

Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute Randy H has a reputation beyond repute
This Week's Canadians In Action:

*Maureen Drake has advanced into the second round at the tier 1 event in Charleston. She defeated top 50 player Yoon-Jeong Cho of Korea 6-1, 6-1. Maureen is a lucky loser, having lost to Lindsay Lee-Waters in the final round of qualifying over the weekend. She next faces the winner of the Clarisa Fernandez and Marissa Irvin match.

*Sonya Jeyaseelan is continuing her recent tour doubles events. Having competed in Indian Wells and Miami recently (where she and Meilen Tu upset Kournikova/Dementieva in round 1), Sonya is in Charleston this week pairing with Joannette Kruger of South Africa, also coming back from a long layoff. They face Tu and Maria Vento-Kabchi.

*Marie-Eve Pelletier competed in Charleston this week aswell, but unfortunately was a first round qualifying casualty to Els Callens. Callens won the match in straight sets. Hopefully Marie-Eve will find good form for the remainder of the clay season, having nothing to defend for a while.

Yet to be confirmed, but based on committment lists, Vanessa Webb, Jana Nejedly, Melanie Marois, and Diana Srebrovic are expected to be in Coatzacoalcos, Mexico ITF 25k Challenger. The maindraw has not yet been posted, but hopefully they will all be there to put in good performances.

In junior news, Canadian Indoor Nationals have been underway the past 2 weeks. Sharon Fichman (Under 12 Orange Bowl Champ), claimed the Under 14 Indoor National title over Jillian O'Neill. Last week the Under 16 championships were held, with Chantal Beetham (last years Under 14 winner), coming out to upset the top seed Valerie Saillant.

This week feautres the last of the Indoor National categories, with the under 18 tournament featuring Stephanie Dubois, Monika Dancevic, Eunice David, Valerie Saillant, Chantal Beetham, Anna Blagodorova, Sharon Fichman, Melanie Gloria, Ekaterina Shulaeva, Valerie Tetreault, and Kimberley Patenaude amongst the names in contention.

Good luck to all the girls
"Religion has actually convinced people that there is an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. Any if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But he loves you."

George Carlin
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 04:10 AM   #3
country flag ~CANUCK~
This is my fancy user title

~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute
Great idea for a thread...i love it...the canadians are great...just look at my username...kinda says it all ...Mo drake you are the best..great win against cho...keep it up and beat fernadez tomorrow...at the the 25 k event only vanessa webb and marois are there...they both won their first rounds good job. Hopefully they will meet in an all canuck final

It looks like we have a new junior star in the making with young sharon fishman(sp?). she won the under 14's and she is now in the quaterfinals of the under 18's..she got there by upsetting the #2 seed...great stuff

to all other canuck fans out there
~CANUCK~ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 02:27 PM   #4
country flag Randy H
Moderator - Juniors

hey Canuck_Fan

thanks for the contribution

Sharon is indeed a player to keep looking out for in the future - her Orange Bowl win was very convincing and so was her victory in the Under 14 Nationals

Big win over Dancevic, though Monika apparently suffered a hip injury during the match which has forced her and Dubois to pull out of the doubles (which ironically gave Sharon and her partner a walkover - lucky day for Sharon lol).

Hopefully she can keep it up I expect Dubois to win this though, she has just recently won two junior ITF titles in Sweden, and she is a very consistent player with a good frame of mind. Bottom half is a bit more unpredictable, but I am picking Shulaeva to come through

Maureen players Clarisa Fernandez today (assuming there are no rain delays), hopefully she will pick up some revenge for last weeks tough loss to her!

No sign of Jana or Diana in Mexico this week, though Jana deserves a rest anyway, and I am sure she will be relieved to take a break knowing she will make the Roland Garros qualifying cut off for sure now

Vanessa has a good draw, and I expect her to certainly make semifinals at least. Melanie should beat her next opponent (Alyssa Cohen), but Maria Elena Camerin will almost certainly be too good for Melanie if they meet in the quarters.

Keep going ladies
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 03:39 PM   #5
country flag ~CANUCK~

~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute ~CANUCK~ has a reputation beyond repute
sharon also won the girls 12 and under eddie herr last year. I read someone that she is the #1 12 year old in the world..duuno if its true or not...but seeing as she won the orange bowl and the eddie herr without any problems i would believe it.

I also totally expect dubois to win the under 18 title...she is really good. And she must be full of confidnece after winning 3 titles in sweden(2 singles 1 doubles).

Mo drake has a great chance at winning her her match against clarisa..she almost best her last week. Hopefully she will take her revenge on her.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 12:36 PM   #6
country flag Randy H
Moderator - Juniors

Sharon's luck came to an end in the quarterfinals against Melanie Gloria, a relatively easy win for Gloria. Good run for Sharon though, and a very respetcable result for someone well below the age of most girls in the competition (actually she was the youngest in the entire field).

Big shock for Dubois, she lost in straight sets to Eunice David. Steph was definitely the favourite for the title, and considering her recent good form, I am surprised she lost to Eunice. Nontheless, good to see her get into the semifinals, she's battled with some injuries for a while now, but perhaps she is back on track.

She will next face Valerie Saillant in the semis, who got revenge over Beetham over losing the Under 16 final last week. I think Saillant is the favourite, but she has never won a National title so she may be more nervous.

The other semi if Gloria against Ekaterina Shulaeva, who as expected, won over Tetreault. Could be a good matchup, and I think the winner of this one may now take the title.

Sonya unfortunately lost her match in doubles to Tu/Vento-Kabchi. They dropped the first set 6-1, and then one of them was forced to retire. Hopefully Sonya or Jo is fine and it is nothing serious

Maureen was also unable to keep up her form from round one, losing in straight sets to Clarisa Fernandez. Not overly surprising, because Clarisa should have known more of what to expect, and been extra confident having beaten her in Sarasota. Shame Maureen couldn't get the win, but she will gain points this week, and move closer to hopefully sneaking into the Roland Garros maindraw if she's lucky.
"Religion has actually convinced people that there is an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. Any if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But he loves you."

George Carlin
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 01:10 PM   #7
country flag TS

TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute
I hope Vanessa Webb can win in Mexico this week....(unless Bryanne makes the final, which I doubt ), I'd like to see her make the Wimbledon main draw. I think she could a lot of damage there. I was never really a fan of hers but she won me over in Melbourne this year with a great attitude on and off the court! I follow her closely now and she's probably my favorite Canadian player.

I like the Canadian girls. I like Vanessa's attitude and game, Marie-Eve's grace and determination, Maureen's antics, Jana's commitment to returning to the top of her game, and Sonya's spunk! I think when at their best Sonya is possibly the best of the lot, I hope she can recap the form of a couple years ago
TS is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 03:55 PM   #8
country flag Randy H
Moderator - Juniors

Hey TS, thanks for the nice comments

I would love to see Vanny win in Mexico too, she has a good shot at it, and I just hope that she can keep building on her game. Making the Wimbledon main draw would be excellent, it's actually the only slam she hasn't competed in the maindraw of yet She had a great effort at Eastbourne last year, and because of that was forced to miss the qualies

I also agree with you, that Sonya at her very best, is probably the best of the Canadian players. I really hope she will be able to come back all the way

Speaking of Mexico, Melanie Marois did beat Alyssa Cohen, and is now into the quarters against Camerin. Hope she can give her a good match at least She will now move up to number 5 in Canada
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 07:56 PM   #9
country flag ~CANUCK~

Vanessa has won her quater final match 6-1 6-3 6-1 and is now in the semis...sadly marois lost her quater final match 6-2 6-4...but making it the the quaters is a good showing for her...hopefully she will keep improveing

good luck vanessa kick some ass
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 03:06 AM   #10
country flag TS

TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute
Vanessa won the final over Maria Elena Camerin 6-3 6-7 -76

Well done, what a great win
TS is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 03:47 AM   #11
country flag ~CANUCK~

Good job Vanessa....keep going...your on your way to the top 100.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 01:38 PM   #12
country flag Randy H
Moderator - Juniors

Great win for Vanessa in Mexico Not sure if she'll be in Mexico again this week or not, seeing as this week's event is on clay as opposed to hardcourt last week. Next stop should be Gifu and Fukuoka grass court challengers in Japan, though it seems many players have been pulling out of Asian events due to the recent virus scares. Sonya is also on the list for Gifu, but seems committed to focusing on doubles for the time being.

Sonya is playing with Maja Matevzic in Amelia Island. Sonya has some great memories of Amelia Island, most notably her first real big win, stunning Venus Williams there in 1999 for her first top 10 victory.

Unfortunately they drew Ruano Pascual and Suarez, but hopefully Sonya will bring her A-game and do well

Melanie Marois is in Mexico again this week, she starts off against Karin Palme. Good luck Melanie

Pelletier, Nejedly, and Srebrovic were all on the list for Jackson 25k this week - Main draw not out yet, but hope to see them all there

In junior play, Shulaeva did come away with the Indoor National U-18 title, easily winning over Valerie Saillant. Good win for Ekaterina

But he loves you."

George Carlin
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 05:08 AM   #13
country flag ~CANUCK~

sonya sadly lost her doubles match today..the score was 6-4 7-5 i think...jana pulled out of jackson...but marie-eve is seeded #1...hopefully she can keep the trend of canucks winning the 25k events as of late
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 12:31 PM   #14
country flag Randy H
Moderator - Juniors

too bad Sonya, but a good fight anyway I hope she will focus on singles again soon

Beier Ko and Aneta Soukup lost in Jackson qualies, and Jana and Diana are not there. Marie-Eve is top seed however, and takes on Kristina Brandi. Brandi is a good player, but struggling to get back to her best form after numerous injuries. Hopefully Marie-Eve will be focused and make a good run here. She is certainly capable of winning this event.

Vanessa is in Mexico, top seed again. She starts off against Mortello, and should she win that, she faces fellow Canadian Melanie Marois, who won in 3 sets over Karin Palme of Mexico.

But he loves you."

George Carlin
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 04:15 PM   #15
country flag ~CANUCK~

Marie-eve has lost her first round match at jackson 7-5 6-2...poor marie-eve...she keeps losing to people she should beat. Better luck next time.