Blast Girl II:Goolagong - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 05:54 AM   #16
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Nov 16-22. National Panasonic Chmps, Perth, Australia. (GR)
1R Bye
2R d. Bohmova (Cz) 6-4 6-3
3R L to Preyer 6-3 6-3

After her early exit Evonne said, "I need more matches to get my confidence going...so I can learn to play the big point again. I'm not expecting miracles, but I'm going to try as hard as I can. I know it will be a slow process, but I'm still keen to play and to compete."

-----------
Nov 23-29 New South Wales Open, Sydney, Australia. (GR)
1R d. Walsh (US) 6-4 6-0
2R d. Pinterova (Cz) 7-6 6-1
QF L to Evert (US) [1] 6-2 6-0

---------------------
Dec 1-6 Australian Open, Melbourne. (GR) seeded #8
1R Bye
2R d. Allen (US) 5-7 6-3 6-4
3R d. Jausovec (Yug) [10] 6-3 6-1
QF L to Navatilova (US) [3] 6-4 6-1

Doubles with Stove
1R d. Fairbank/Harford [8] 6-1 6-1
2R d. Cassell/Pratt 6-4 6-3
QF L to Barker/Kiyomura [4] 6-4 6-1

Potter complained about Evonne's #8 seeding, to no avail. Aussie fans were so behind Evonne that many cheered the errors of American Leslie Allen in round two. A nervous Goolagong edges past the rattled Allen. Allen bitterly criticizes the crowd over the public address system after the match.

1981:
Just over five months after the birth of her second child on 28 May 1981, she returned to the circuit for the Australian season. At Perth in mid-November, she defeated Bohmova 64 63, before losing L16 to Jane Preyer 36 36.

She reached the quarter finals of the NSW Open (d Walsh 64 60, Pinterova 76 61, lost Evert 62 60) and Australian Open (d Allen 57 63 64, Jausovec 63 61, lost Navratilova 64 61)

Last edited by Rollo : May 2nd, 2004 at 10:06 AM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 05:54 AM   #17
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

-----------------------------
April 3-5 Citizen Cup, Palm Beach, Florida, US (CL) *special 4 woman event.
1R L to Evert 5-7 6-1 6-4
Casals/Turnbull d. Goolagong/Stove 6-1 7-6 in doubles.

Wins 3rd place over Mandlikova 6-2 6-2.
Off the circuit with more leg injuries after Palm Beach.

-----------------------------
April 5-11. Family Circle Cup, Hilton Head, S. Carolina, US (CL)
1R L to Russell 4-6 6-2 1-0 retired

-----------------------------------------
June 7-14 Edgbaston Cup,Birmingham, GB (GR)
1R L to Teeguarden (US) 6-4 2-6 6-3

-------------------------
WIMBLEDON #16 seed.
1R Bye
2R L to Garrison (US) 6-4 6-2

DNP doubles
With I Goolagong L to Roche/Byrne 6-0 6-7 6-3 in 1R of mixed.

---------------------------
July 19-25 Federation Cup, Santa Clara, Cal. US (HD)
Australia #2 seeds
1R d. Kim (Kor) 6-0 6-2
2R d. Mesker (Hol) 6-4 6-2
QF won doubles with Leo over Cherneva/Elisenko (USSR) 7-5 6-4
SF L to Bunge (Ger) 6-3 7-6.

Evonne hit some great volleys vs. Bunge, but the Germans greater consistency proved superior.

--------------------
July 29-Aug 1 Australian Indoor Chmps, Sydney. (IN)
*Round robin special event. Not santioned by WTA
RR L to Evert (US) 6-3 6-1
RR d. Hanika (Ger) 6-3 6-4
RR L to Jaeger (US) 6-4 6-1

----------------
Aug 2-3 Australian Challenge Matches, Perth *Exibition*
1R L to Jaeger (US) 6-1 6-3

----------------------
Nov 10-13 Toyota Women's International Match, Adelaide, Aus.
*Exhibition. Rest of World d. British Commonwealth 6-3*
L to Shriver (US) 7-6 6-4
d. Austin (US) 6-4 4-6 6-2

----------------
Nov 15-21 National Panasonic Classic, Brisbane, Australia. (GR)
1R L to Barker (GB) 6-1 6-3

----------------------
Nov 22-28 New South Wales Open,Sydney, Australia. (GR)
1R d. Monteiro(Brz) 6-1 6-2
2R d. O'Neil 4-6 7-6 6-3
3R d. Kohde (Ger) 6-3 6-2
QF d. Kiyomura (US) 7-5 6-3
SF d. Jaeger (US) [2] 4-6 6-1 6-4
F L to Navratilova (US) [1] 6-0 3-6 6-1

Martina "Stuns the corwd into silence" by storming through the opening set in 13 minutes! Evonne revives the hopes of 6,000 at White City as she breaks for the only time in the match then holds for the second. Martina reverts to her steamroller form in the 3rd winning it in 22 minutes.
-----------------------
Nov 29-Dec 5 AUSTRALIAN OPEN #13 seed
1R d. Monteiro (Brz) 3-6 6-3 6-1
2R L to Reynolds (US) 2-6 7-5 6-4

DNP doubles

Evonne fails after having a match point.

Last edited by Rollo : Apr 8th, 2004 at 05:12 AM.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 05:54 AM   #18
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

------------
Jan 24-20 Marco Island, Florida, US. (CL)
1R d. Strachanova 7-6 6-1
2R L to Thompson 6-0 7-5

---------------
March23-26. Virginia Slims Championships, New York, NY, US (IN)
1R L to Shriver 6-1 6-3
------------------
April 4-10 Family Circle Cup, Hilton Head, S. Carolina, US. (CL)
1R d. Klitch 6-3 5-7 6-1
2R L to Garrison 7-5 6-3

--------------------
April 11-17 WTA Chmps, Amelia Island, Florida, US (CL)
1R d. Vasquez 3-6 6-4 6-3
2R d. Maleeva 6-3 6-3
3R L to Reggi (Ity) 6-3 6-3

-----------
May 2-8 Italian Open, Perugia. (CL)
1R Bye
2R L to Jolissaint (Swt) 6-4 6-2

-------------
May 9-15 Swiss Open, Lugano. (CL)
1R d. Wade (GB) 6-4 6-4
2R d. Jolissaint 6-4 6-1
QF Event suspended due to rain.

---------------------------
French Open
1R d. Suire 6-3 6-2
2R d. Benjamin (US) 6-2 6-0
3R L to Evert (US) [2] 6-2 6-2

Doubles with Teeguarden
1R d. Leand/Piatek 6-3 6-4
2R L to O'Neil/Whytcross 6-1 1-6 6-3

--------------------------------
June 6-12 Edgbaston Cup, Birmingham, GB
1R Bye
2R d. Mundel (SA) 6-1 3-6 8-6
3R L to A. White (US) 6-2 7-5

Doubles with Fairbank
??
SF L to King/Walsh 5-7 7-6 7-5

------------
Wimbledon-doubles only with Barker
1R L to Cherneva and Savchenko 6-3 6-4

--------------------
Assorted injuries once again derail Evonne, this time for good.

Listed as #37 on the WTA computer with 16 matches in 8 events.

Last edited by Rollo : May 2nd, 2004 at 10:00 AM.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 05:56 AM   #19
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

1984-no matches

Family Circle Cup, Hilton Head

Doubles only with Kerry Reid
1R d. VANIER/ YEARGIN 6-4 6-1
2R L GARRISON/ RINALDI 6-1 6-3

May 6-11. Sydney Indoor, Aus. (IN)

LOST to Tobin 6-3 6-2

On May 16 she defaults form Melbourne with a foot injury. The loss to Tobin is her last career singles.

Last edited by Rollo : May 2nd, 2004 at 10:02 AM.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 03:17 AM   #20
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
Jeez, I am shocked Evonne was actually still playing in 1985! I know it was only a single match, and in Oz, but I don't recall it ever being mentioned in the press. I wonder why she played? Does anyone know the 'backstory'? Was it just a whim?
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 05:17 AM   #21
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Money may have had something to do with it Mark-no doubt she got a huge appearance fee to pull in crowds. The Gong lost early and pulled out of the other Aussie indoor event, and neither one was on the 1986 calendar.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 05:26 AM   #22
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Shriver comments on Evonne's default in Melbourne in her book Passing Shots. "Evonne..has messed up more tournaments in Australia with defaults and early loses. Yesterday she defaulted with a bad foot. I don't know why she she bothers entering because she is not really a threat to win matches after two years away from competition. I guess she plays mostly for her business intersts in Australia. ......One year she played the Australian summer tour 4 months pregnant, another time she got sick, held up her first round match for two days, then defaulted. This time she's played only one match and she's defaulted again. That kind of business can't be good for tennis."
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:09 AM   #23
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
Shriver comments on Evonne's default in Melbourne in her book Passing Shots. "Evonne..has messed up more tournaments in Australia with defaults and early loses. Yesterday she defaulted with a bad foot. I don't know why she she bothers entering because she is not really a threat to win matches after two years away from competition. I guess she plays mostly for her business intersts in Australia. ......One year she played the Australian summer tour 4 months pregnant, another time she got sick, held up her first round match for two days, then defaulted. This time she's played only one match and she's defaulted again. That kind of business can't be good for tennis."
I think her heart was in it, and she was desperate to continue her career, but from the time she gave birth in '77 to the time she officially retired her body kept breaking down on her... and it only got worse in the early 80s.
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:15 AM   #24
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
What I can remember Evonnes 85 comeback wasn't off a whim - for some reason I think she thought at the time she could make an impact

But the loss to Tobin who wasn't a world beater... not to mention the injuries was the last straw.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:57 PM   #25
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
God, I love that tell-it-lie-it-is bizatch Pam Shriver! She really stuck it to Evonne in her book. I had no idea she wrote about Evonne playing in 1985. I think that is the first time I have heard any (somewhat) unkind words about Evonne from another player. Kinda refreshing.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 03:10 PM   #26
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark37
God, I love that tell-it-lie-it-is bizatch Pam Shriver! She really stuck it to Evonne in her book. I had no idea she wrote about Evonne playing in 1985. I think that is the first time I have heard any (somewhat) unkind words about Evonne from another player. Kinda refreshing.
Yes, it's always refreshing when a very large person opens her mouth and subsequently becomes a very small person. Pam was here a couple of years ago for a Tennis Legends exhibition, and the other woman in the mixed doubles format just happened to be Virigina Wade. I overheard Pam at the reception afterward mention that she had to "play down" to Viriginia the whole match long, which I thought was very rude, and downright disrespectful!
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 04:19 PM   #27
country flag Mark43

Pam calls it like she see's it. I find that refreshing.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:22 PM   #28
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Didn't Wendy Turnbull have some digs at Evonne too? Louloubelle might be able to fill us in on that. The only thing I know is ST (Saggy tits) accused the Gong of taking appearance money at the Aussie one year. Maybe she was jealous!
I bet Wenders was right too, and Evonne was getting money under the table.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:11 PM   #29
country flag Mark43

Oh yeah! I vaguely remember. Was it 1980, when Evonne's luster was a bit brighter after her lovely Wimbeldon win? Evonne hadn't really played much at all that late summer/fall due to injuries and then she showed up at the Aussie pregnant and promptly lost to someone like Katja Ebbinghaus (okay, that loss was summer 1977 so just insert name here _____)!
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:22 PM   #30
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
You know, I posted a length reply about Pam to your post Mark37, and it posted, and now 5 minutes later, it's not here. I don't get it. This happens quite a bit...