Chris & Evonne - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 12:58 AM   #1
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
Chris & Evonne

I have to say that my all time favorite match-up was Evonne Goolagong vs. Chris Evert, especially during 1972-76 when Evonne had so much success against Chris. I think after 1976 Evonne only had two wins over Chris (Boston '78 and the big W '80). I guess I started this thread because my memory of these matches is fading and wanted to know if anyone else can share some thoughts on their match-ups.

Both Evonne and Chris were so graceful and feminine. Evonne always gets the nod for grace but Chris was as dainty as they came. The match I remember best is their 1976 Virginia Slims Championship final in Los ANgeles. Evonne was playing the season of her life and she beat Chris in the most attractive match (lot's of lovely drop shots and well crafted baseline exchanges).

Every night as I doze off to sleep I try to go over matches in my mind or go over a particular players grand slam stats (it is my way of counting sheep and I have done it since I was a child). I was thinking of Chris and Evonne and their 1980 Wimbledon final and I realized I was so excited watching it, I could barely remember it. Oy!!
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 01:09 AM   #2
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
Oh one thing I did recall was Chris Evert's 1989 SPorts Illustrated article at the time of her retirement. In the article Chris went over all her 'missed opportunites'...she stated that she lost the 1980 Wimbledon final to Evonne because she was suffering a let down after finally beating Martina Navratilova on grass for the first time since the mid seventies. That pissed me off to no end. The one thing I do recall from that match is Evonne was on fire for the first set and a half. She was playing near error free tennis and frustrated Chris to no end as she went up 6-1, 3-0 before the rains started and they took a 90 min break. Yes, Chris was not playing the match of her life but it seemed this was primarily due to Evonne's superior play. When the rain stopped Evonne was no longer in the 'zone' and Chris began a comeback winning 4 games in a row (I think?). Evonne had to raise the level of play in that second set and she did just that, winning 7-6. After the match was over I distinctly remember reading Chris Evert's thoughts on the match...Chris said that the first set there was nothing she could do and that NOBODY would have taken that set from Evonne, she played that well. In the second set Chris said she had her chances but Evonne played smart, controlled tennis. I really loved these quotes as I thought Chris was showing Evonne the respect she deserved. I felt by 1980 nobody felt Evonne had a chance to win anything big anymore and the press had written her off as well, particularly Mike Lupica.

Then 9 years later Chris states that she lost the match instead of Evonne winning it, completley reversing the comments she made after the match. I felt this was disrespectful to Evonne and was for the most part totally untrue. Had Evonne won that match playing anything but superb tennis I might have agreed, but somehow everything changed in Chris's mind. Which struck me as wierd because Evonne was obviously a superior grass court player.

Just had to get that off my chest!!! Haha.

Last edited by Mark43 : Dec 28th, 2002 at 02:29 AM.
Old Dec 28th, 2002, 10:55 AM   #3
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe Chris forgot after all those years?
Old Dec 28th, 2002, 02:40 PM   #4
BCP

BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold
Hey Mark,

What a lovely thread to begin the new year! Unfortunately most of the battles between Chris and Evonne as you say were in the 70s, so I missed all of them. Just a few observations from the perspective of a Chris fan:

1. Chris always admired Evonne and had the highest praise for her. I think she admired her for her graceful flowing game, her beauty, and her popularity, and sometimes was openly envious of her (especially her popularity with the crowds). I know Martina, and Billie Jean were sometimes put out by Chris's high praise of Evonne. I remember a funny comment in Billie Jean's book where she says that she got annoyed at the way Chris made out that only she and Evonne were feminie, and what was the rest of the tour...a bunch of horses?! lol.......

2. I think that Chris's win over Evonne in the Wimbeldon final where it went to 8-6 (?) or 10-8(?) in the 3rd would be one of Chris's 10 best wins in her career. I remember her saying that it was her first grasscourt win over a grasscourt champion.

3. I saw the Wimbeldon final, and Evonne did play very well. You are right, no one expected her to win. Chris did no play as well as the semi, but I think she was as surprised as anyone at how well Evonne was playing. I think sometimes Chris can be a little ungracious when she loses matches she is expected to win. However, I have never heard her say a bad word about Evonne.

4. I remember Chris was Evonne's nemesis at the USO. Wasn't the USO the only GS Evonne failed to win. She was a finalist many times there as I recall.

5. What was the final head to head between the two, and what was your fav match between them?
BCP is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2002, 03:06 PM   #5
country flag darren cahill

darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all
Yes, you are right, Evonne was the finalist there 4 years in a row..the first time she lost to Margaret Court in 73--76 57 62 then she lost to Billie Jean 36 63 75 then it was 2 times to Chris, 57 64 62 and 63 60.

great thread by one of my fave guys (and BCP TOO!)
darren cahill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2002, 03:21 PM   #6
BCP

BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold BCP is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the results Darren! That's a pretty impressive list to come runner up to!

Did Evonne finish her career with losing head to heads against the greats?

Chris
Martina
Billie Jean
Margaret
Old Dec 28th, 2002, 07:51 PM   #7

darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all
BCP! hey there sexy

here are Evonnes head to heads

vs. Court she was 2-5
vs Evert she was 7-9
vs King she was 2-10 ( )
vs Navartilova she was 12-15

so yes, she did have a losing record against them all, had NO idea she played Martina that many times'

for the record, she did have a 5-0 winning head to head against Francoise Durr! (that was a stat for my buddy Craig)
Old Dec 28th, 2002, 08:02 PM   #8
BCP

Thanks for the stats Darren. That makes for really interesting reading. It looks like she had the hardest time with BJK, but was reasonably even with everyone else..........very in teretsing indeed. Not only could she hang with the top guns, but she could play in every surface as well..............

You're a big Evonne fan as well aren't you Darren? What was your fave Evonne match/memory?
Old Dec 29th, 2002, 01:25 AM   #9
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Great thread! I'm ordering Evonne's 1980 Wimbledon semi and finals wins on tape, and I can't wait.

Darren-Evonne met her rivals more than that. Tenniscorner results from Goolagong's prime (1971-76) are 70% incomplete.

Her career head to heads

4-2 vs. Austin
13-24 vs. Evert
3-13 vs. King
13-15 vs. Navratilova
28-8 vs. Wade

She played Court numerous times (at least 20 I guess). I don't know their head to head.

King knew how to exploit Goolie's big weakness (other than her forehand) the second serve. Billie Jean could chip and charge off of it.
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2002, 01:50 AM   #10

wow Rollo, i didnt know i was wrong there...Chris and Evonne played 37 times?????????????? I had no idea...i'd like to see proof of that one! LOL It just seems so unreal since she and Martina played only a few more matches than that. I was only 1 off on billie jean and martinas #'s
Old Dec 29th, 2002, 02:08 AM   #11
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Go back and look at the tenniscorner page and you'll notice whats wrong quick enough. Before the Boston match in 1978 teniscorner has all of their matches in grand slams or the Slims final. Since they were #1 and #2 for much of 1974 -76 they met numerous times, so much so that in 1976 the women's tour was called "the Evonne and Chrissie show". They also met numerous times in 1973 when they were the stars of the USTA tour. Evonne was the LAST woman to beat Evert on clay at Rome in 1973.

Some missing matches from TC's head to head

1973 Rome: Goolagong won 7-6 6-0 (Evert didn't lose again on clay for 6 years)

1973 South African Open Evert won 6-3 6-3
1973 Bonne Bell: Goolagong won
1974 Sarasota: Evert won 6-4 6-0
1974 Denver: Goolagong won 7-5 3-6 6-4
1975 Family Circle: Evert won 6-1 6-1
1975 World Invitational (exhibition) Evert won 6-1 6-1
1976 Sarasota: Evert won 6-3 6-0
1976 San Francisco: Evert won 7-5 7-6
1976 Philadelphia:Goolagong won 6-3 7-6

These are a few of their missing scores. Evert's biography listed her head to head with Evonne at 24-13.

Goolagong wasn't quite in Evert or Navratilova's class-but she was darn close. Her two pregnancies (the first in 1976) and a string of injuries made her less effective after that year.

Last edited by Rollo : Dec 29th, 2002 at 02:17 AM.
Old Dec 29th, 2002, 02:13 AM   #12

Rollo, you must forgive me...i forgot chris and Martina played 80 some times...i dont know what i was thinking of when i said a 'few' more...i had 40 in my head for some reason..
Old Dec 29th, 2002, 02:21 AM   #13
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

It's no biggie darren. 80 times is rather unreal-Chris and Martina
could probably guess the other's next shot in her sleep

Before digging around I had no idea Evonne and Chris had mixed it up so many times.
Old Dec 29th, 2002, 02:25 AM   #14

well i am disappointed in myself for not knowing chris and martinas number etched forever in my brain...i mean who doesnt know their record with each other? and i call myself a tennis enthusist?

i guess i just have a new love on my mind! that throws things off...
Old Dec 29th, 2002, 03:58 AM   #15
country flag Mark43

Thanks for all the great stats guys! I knew Evonne was quite intimidated by Billie Jean but I figured she had a somewhat better head to head. The only match I saw them play live on tv was the 1976 Fed Cup final where BJK won in straights. I have since seen their best match-up, the 1974 US Open final, on ESPN Classics. That match is one of the all time greats, and a total shame Evonne lost.

Oh, BCP I didn't mean to say Chris was disrespectful overall of Evonne. She has always spoken of her with kindness. I just always remember the negative (the 1989 SI article and a 1980 World Tennis interview where Chris said "Evonne was never really a draw".!!) I think Chris envied Evonne's natural grace and femininity and this influenced her on court manner.

Okay who is going to list another Chrissie and Evonne match...the 1972 Wimbledon semi? The 1975 US Open final? The 1974 Aussie Open final?