The Tracy Austin - Chris Evert rivalry : eyewitness accounts needed!! - Page 26 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 13th, 2011, 03:26 AM   #376
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation
Re: The Tracy Austin - Chris Evert rivalry : eyewitness accounts needed!!

Austin beat Evert with well placed, sharply angled cross-court backhands and down-the-line backhands and forehands off of Evert's cross court shots. When Austin was "on," hitting with power and depth and angles and with an iron will, Evert was in serious trouble. It's very difficult for a baseliner to use drop shots and "variety," however that's defined, to counter someone who's constantly forcing you out of position and deep behind the baseline.

The contention that Austin was a metronomic or unthinking player, incapable of doing anything but hit flat and hard, is just not true. When Andrea Jaeger tried to beat Austin with moonballs, Austin hit moonballs back and invariably won the match (17-4 in sets and 8-2 in matches). Although Martina Navratilova won 20 of their 33 singles matches overall, Austin won 10 of their 15 singles matches from mid-1979 through 1981. Austin evenly split her 8 matches with Evonne Goolagong Cawley. Austin dominated Billie Jean King 5-2 (5-1 in official matches) despite King's slow-balling tactics. She went 7-3 against Virginia Wade, 7-2 against Hana Mandlikova, 13-0 against Virginia Ruzici, and 4-3 against Sue Barker. Against her lifelong rival Pam Shriver, Austin led 4-2. And against Chris Evert, Austin won 9 of their 17 matches (the WTA is wrong about their head-to-head record). Not bad!

Tafadhali usijisumbue kugusa mwili wangu ulioza!
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 13th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #377
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not bad!
Not bad at all, and well put AR. I was reading Billie Jean King's book last night looking for her thoughts on Austin. BJK wrote that the public didn't quite know what to make of Tracy. It was hard for the public to have a clear image when one half sees you as a sort of Evert-clone while the other sees her as slaying her clone.

Something else King wrote: Players were quick to condemn Tracy for little things they would have overlooked in others-mainly becasue she won so much so young!
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #378
country flag LightWarrior

LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

Evert winning their last meeting 60 60 in 1982 is so ironic. I know that Austin was not the same as before due to injuries but how could Austin not even win one game ?
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #379
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Evert winning their last meeting 60 60 in 1982 is so ironic. I know that Austin was not the same as before due to injuries but how could Austin not even win one game ?
It was great or awful-depending on who you were or root for!

This was the worst loss of Austin's career. Even as a 14 year old no one double bagled her.

Some stats (from a New York Times article by Neil Amdur)

Match time: 48 minutes

Points won by Austin: 14 (5 in first set and 9 in second set)

The god smacking reversed their last meeting a year earlier at the same event, when Tracy thrashed Chris 6-1 6-2.

Chris: "I was surprised she wasn't tougher. The difference from last year is she's tentative with a lot of shots. She used to crunch her ground strokes. I think I'm moving a lot better than I have before. For once, I'm moving better than she is. She's lost a bit of confidence. She's not cracking the ball."

Austin: "I'm in good enough shape to play anyone else, but no one keeps the ball in play as much as Chris does. I've noticef she's getting so intense this year, and she's worked hard, practiced so hard. She's just exactly the way I am. The more you practice, the more confident you get."

This was their last career meeting. At the time Austin effectively left the game in 1983 she was the only player to have a winning head to head vs Chris Evert.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #380
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

Wow! Even after getting thrashed 6-0, 6-0, Tracy still manages to put the boot in: "She's just exactly the way I am."
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #381
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
This was the worst loss of Austin's career. Even as a 14 year old no one double bagled her.

Some stats (from a New York Times article by Neil Amdur)

Match time: 48 minutes

Points won by Austin: 14 (5 in first set and 9 in second set)

The god smacking reversed their last meeting a year earlier at the same event, when Tracy thrashed Chris 6-1 6-2.

Chris: "I was surprised she wasn't tougher. The difference from last year is she's tentative with a lot of shots. She used to crunch her ground strokes. I think I'm moving a lot better than I have before. For once, I'm moving better than she is. She's lost a bit of confidence. She's not cracking the ball."

Austin: "I'm in good enough shape to play anyone else, but no one keeps the ball in play as much as Chris does. I've noticef she's getting so intense this year, and she's worked hard, practiced so hard. She's just exactly the way I am. The more you practice, the more confident you get."
More stats:
(1) Austin reached deuce only once, in the fourth game of the second set when she also had a break point.
(2) Austin won only 1 point while serving in the first set.

Austin said:
I tried as much as I could have for today, and that was all I could do. I have to forget about it and accentuate the positive. I want to look forward to the future and be positive.
Evert said:
In my mind, I've played better against serve-and-volleyers, but I would have to think this was one of my best matches as far as being consistent, not making errors, and not losing concentration. I was confident. Tracy, the way she is playing now, couldn't hurt me with anything. She didn't have the weapons.

Tafadhali usijisumbue kugusa mwili wangu ulioza!
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #382
country flag stltennisguy

stltennisguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Tracy had a great competetive spirit but ultimately I think Chris would have taken control of their rivalry had Tracy stayed in the game. Chris developed an overwhelming arsenal of shots while Tracy, as good as she was, was rather one-dimensional.
stltennisguy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #383
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by stltennisguy View Post
Tracy had a great competetive spirit but ultimately I think Chris would have taken control of their rivalry had Tracy stayed in the game. Chris developed an overwhelming arsenal of shots while Tracy, as good as she was, was rather one-dimensional.
A nice analysis of the differences between the Queen of Clay and the Pinafored One, courtesy of Madame Evert:

"her forehand. It's a stiff, flat, mechanical shot, not natural."

"I was a better player... stroke-wise, I was technically better."

Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 01:12 AM   #384
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
I feel certain that BOTH Chris & Martina would rather play each other than Austin, just as they would both rather play each other than Steffi as early as late '86. But this is because they know each other's game, and you definitely want to face a known quantity more than an unknown. When someone new comes along, they've had years to study your game AND they have the 'x' factor on their side of your NOT having been able to study them back. So its very nerve-wracking to play a new-top-player whose game you're less familiar with.

As for Tracy's favorite player being Goolagong...yeah, she played a whole lot like goolagong. Not. I can understand her wanting to disassociate herself in people's minds with Chris, because she truly was her own person. But the fact that she tries so hard to hide Chris' influence only magnifies the fact that she herself is all-too aware of Evert's being a defining influence...a too-close-for-comfort influence.

And I also think her take on Chris' attitude toward her shows she may have just been over-sensitive. Chris, having received a very frosty reception from the top players when she herself arrived on the scene, would've been very aware of treating new players with a more welcoming attitude. She may have been teasing tracy in a friendly way (but without necessarily smiling when joking, like anyone who is funny) and Tracy, being young and insecure, took it as criticism. Do YOU think Chris thought tracy was smoking pot at age 15 (fed cup Australia was 1978) or would suggest that she should? Come on. Chris had a severe catholic upbringing, and didn't play up pot smoking too much, to say the least. So while I may think pot-smoking is good role-model behavior Chris did not, and does not.
Your dislike of Tracy is glaring, even though you try to hide it. It is not unreasonable that Tracy's favorite player was Goolagong, even though her game was very different. It was probably a personal liking as well as Evonne's unique game, which Tracy was unable to play. I also doubt that Tracy would lie about Evert's comments to her. Who would make such comments up, and why? No doubt Chris Evert was an all time great player, but she always struck me as an arrogant and phony snob. Certainly her off court behavior was nothing like the goody two shoes personality, promoted by the press.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 01:30 AM   #385
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
I just wish she'd have responded with what she thought to John McEnroe during the French 99 final. Chris mentioned that Steffi started playing full time when she was 14, and John said so did Andre, not a whole lot later at 16. Steffi was out there full time playing week in and week out for 15 years at or near the top and as we all know, Andre played only when he wanted to, and frequently took dives out of tennis for long stretches. Chris was also pretty timid with John when she said Steffi practiced week in and week out, suggesting that John could've done better. McEnroe's weak response was "it just means I didn't like practice as much as a match". She was right, but backed off.
I think I once heard McEnroe say that one of the reasons he played doubles was, so that he did not have to practice on his singles off days.
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #386
country flag Internova

Internova has disabled reputation

Funny segment of Tracy, Chris and Yvonne from the 40 love gala (around 1h53min)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Vo2FC0c&t=6813
Internova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #387

LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by il dragone View Post
Funny segment of Tracy, Chris and Yvonne from the 40 love gala (around 1h53min)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Vo2FC0c&t=6813
Yeah that's hilarious.
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #388
country flag GHFB

GHFB is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm...I have to say I don't think it's funny at all. Evert still seems to be competing with Austin. Why bother making those comments at such an event? Who cares who Austin idolised? Apparently, Evert does...
GHFB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHFB View Post
Hmmm...I have to say I don't think it's funny at all. Evert still seems to be competing with Austin. Why bother making those comments at such an event? Who cares who Austin idolised? Apparently, Evert does...
Relax, they're just teasing each other. That's what friends do sometimes.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #390
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

I thought Tracy Austin sounded disingenuous when she claimed that her favourite player, or the one she idolised, was Evonne Cawley. Chris Evert was justified in saying what she did about Austin basing her game on Evert's. Tracy Austin looked quite defensive during the exchange in question. I couldn't help remembering how many major singles titles (2) she had won compared to Evert (18).
-----
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote