"You Lousy Sack of Merde!" says Shriver to Austin - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 13th, 2005, 12:11 AM   #1
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
"You Lousy Sack of Merde!" says Shriver to Austin

oh, those were the days...pardon my french. ...from the anals of women's tennis fondest rivalries....

i was just reading about how pammy beat tracy in the 1981 australian open QF, and remembered how happy she must have been to do so, since they had such a terse rivalry even in the junior ranks, with tracy coming out on top on most occasions. pam's two pro wins were, to no surprise, on grass.

here's their head to head:
1979 Washington QF Carpet (I) T.AUSTIN 6-3 1-6 6-2
1980 US Open QF Hard (O) T.AUSTIN 6-2 6-3
1981 Wimbledon QF Grass (O) P.SHRIVER 7-5 6-4
1981 San Diego FR Hard (O) T.AUSTIN 6-2 5-7 6-2
1981 Canadian Open QF Hard (O) T.AUSTIN 6-2 7-5
1981 Australian Open QF Grass (O) P.SHRIVER 7-5 7-6(4)

but better than their rivalry on court were the war of words they shared. i was hoping to get a thread going to collect the stories. i remember, i think after that 80 USO match, that shriver took tracy's hand at the net and said something to the effect of, "Tracy, you're a lousy sack of sh*t!" which left tracy standing at the net, mouth agape--braces and all--in bewilderment.

please, can we have more data on this?? ...not to mention the correct quote?!
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 14th, 2005, 09:31 PM   #2
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11
oh, those were the days...pardon my french. ...from the anals of women's tennis fondest rivalries....

i was just reading about how pammy beat tracy in the 1981 australian open QF, and remembered how happy she must have been to do so, since they had such a terse rivalry even in the junior ranks, with tracy coming out on top on most occasions. pam's two pro wins were, to no surprise, on grass.

here's their head to head:
1979 Washington QF Carpet (I) T.AUSTIN 6-3 1-6 6-2
1980 US Open QF Hard (O) T.AUSTIN 6-2 6-3
1981 Wimbledon QF Grass (O) P.SHRIVER 7-5 6-4
1981 San Diego FR Hard (O) T.AUSTIN 6-2 5-7 6-2
1981 Canadian Open QF Hard (O) T.AUSTIN 6-2 7-5
1981 Australian Open QF Grass (O) P.SHRIVER 7-5 7-6(4)

but better than their rivalry on court were the war of words they shared. i was hoping to get a thread going to collect the stories. i remember, i think after that 80 USO match, that shriver took tracy's hand at the net and said something to the effect of, "Tracy, you're a lousy sack of sh*t!" which left tracy standing at the net, mouth agape--braces and all--in bewilderment.

please, can we have more data on this?? ...not to mention the correct quote?!
IIRC Shriver called Austin a "fucking asshole" after Tracy beat her at the Canadian Open in 1981. Tracy reportedly left the court in tears and Jeanne Austin then told the press that even her sons didn't use that sort of language. You'll find some uncharitable comments about Austin in Shriver's book that seem extremely mean-spirited and uncalled for. They just make Shriver sound like a jealous bitch.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 01:33 PM   #3
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Nevertheless..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by samn
IIRC Shriver called Austin a "fucking asshole" after Tracy beat her at the Canadian Open in 1981. Tracy reportedly left the court in tears and Jeanne Austin then told the press that even her sons didn't use that sort of language. You'll find some uncharitable comments about Austin in Shriver's book that seem extremely mean-spirited and uncalled for. They just make Shriver sound like a jealous bitch.
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 06:48 PM   #4
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan
Nevertheless..........
Can you imagine if Pam had said that to Chris instead? What a catfight that'd have been.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 07:27 PM   #5
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
HanaFanGA is going to save us. He had a really good story about them...I'm almost sure it was him.

people did say things to chris, samn...and then no one ever heard from them again. interesting, isn't it?

but seriously, they had a real dual in the junior ranks, and strangely it was pam who made the big circuit breakthrough first, beating martina and making the US Open finals in 1978.

there were match-long fights between them, as close to women get to connors/mcenroe hatred of each other seething into their tennis. if its good for the boys, its good for the girls. now, no more defensive coddling of tracy austin. lets hear about the mud flying, pinafores riping, pam-fros girating!!!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 07:36 PM   #6
country flag samn

Ok, I was wrong about Austin leaving the court in tears. Here's what Roy McKelvie wrote in "World of Tennis":

<quote>

Miss Shriver let forth an abuse and Miss Austin looked shocked, as if about to burst into tears. 'I wasn't crying. I was upset', said Miss Austin. 'I've never been that upset. I don't use that kind of language. One word began with an f and she said "You're a piece of ....". You can fill that in. Then there was another bad word.'

Miss Shriver said her outburst was inspired by the way Miss Austin reacted to victory. 'She slammed the ball back and came running to the net with a big grin on her face. And I'm thinking, Oh God! I don't want to face her. I should have walked off instead of saying what I did. But I'm emotional and sometimes go with my heart and not with what I should. I'll apologise to her because I was wrong.' And later Pam wrote a note to Tracy.

Then an erratic Hana Mandlikova added to the day's histrionics by making an obscene gesture to a linesman after losing to Mrs Lloyd 6-2 7-5 -- she had recovered from 2-5 to 5-5 in the second set. She too apologised.

</quote>

I wonder if someone spiked the water in Toronto on the day of the quarterfinals.

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 07:43 PM   #7
country flag daze11

Quote:
Originally Posted by samn
'I wasn't crying. I was upset', said Miss Austin. 'I've never been that upset. I don't use that kind of language. One word began with an f and she said "You're a piece of ....". You can fill that in. Then there was another bad word.'
oh my, oh my gooooddd! i've wet my pinafore! that is the funniest thing a little 15 year old shy sheltered girl could ever possibly say. thanks samn!!!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 08:05 PM   #8
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
How could you all feel so hostile towards such an innocent little waif?

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #9
country flag daze11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
how?! perhaps if you looked like THIS:

Last edited by daze11 : Aug 15th, 2005 at 08:50 PM.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #10
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11
how?! perhaps if you looked like THIS:
She looks like the all-American chemistry class geek (and a little bit like Richard Krajicek) in this picture!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 09:08 PM   #11
country flag daze11

Quote:
She looks like the all-American chemistry class geek (and a little bit like Richard Krajicek) in this picture!
for purposes of extra credit, i have noted you found a picture of tracy where they had airbrushed her braces off!

OK, lets hear more stories of the Scarecrow & the Snail.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #12
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
It's her own fault! She shouldn't have had the nerve to beat Chris!
Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 10:29 PM   #13
country flag daze11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan
It's her own fault! She shouldn't have had the nerve to beat Chris!
well, i'm kind of glad she did. it gives chris more character and credibility to have had to deal with such significant competition and makes it all seem less just like a dream. what was the quote of chris'?? "Then that BRAT tracy austin showed up."
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 03:51 AM   #14
country flag HanaFanGA

HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold
Anyone remember, from Pam's book, the story of their first meeting at a junior tournament in Savannah, GA? Pam was playing cards with a group of girls and Tracy was standing behind her. Pam plays a card and Tracy says something like, "I wouldn't have done that." To which Pam (first words to Tracy) barks at her, "Get away from me or I'll step on you!"

There was also the 1985 Nancy Reagan "Just Say No" sham day at the White House. George Schultz says to Pam, "I heard Tracy's making a comeback." Pam replied, "Yeah, I've heard that one before!"

Tracy then taps on Pam's shoulder and says, "You always needle me Shriver!"

Daze, I hope I'm not forgetting a really good one. But these two gems are funny to me.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 05:29 AM   #15
country flag Santorofan

Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all Santorofan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by HanaFanGA
Anyone remember, from Pam's book, the story of their first meeting at a junior tournament in Savannah, GA? Pam was playing cards with a group of girls and Tracy was standing behind her. Pam plays a card and Tracy says something like, "I wouldn't have done that." To which Pam (first words to Tracy) barks at her, "Get away from me or I'll step on you!"

There was also the 1985 Nancy Reagan "Just Say No" sham day at the White House. George Schultz says to Pam, "I heard Tracy's making a comeback." Pam replied, "Yeah, I've heard that one before!"

Tracy then taps on Pam's shoulder and says, "You always needle me Shriver!"

Daze, I hope I'm not forgetting a really good one. But these two gems are funny to me.
HanafanGa: You almost got that quote verbatum! As I recall from the book, Pam states that Tracy said, "THat was stupid." in an annyingly squeaky voice from behind her after Pam had played her a hand of cards. Without missing a beat, Pam replied "Shut up or I'll step on you." That was their first words ever to one another!!! lol

Regarding the remark by Mrs Austin stating to the press, "My sons don't even use (or know?) language like that" Pam has the last laugh in her autobiography by stating something like, "Those are some pretty sheltered kids, those Austin boys..."
Santorofan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote