1975 US Open - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 28th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
1975 US Open

From the US open site:

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/art...519780577.html

40 Important Women's Moments: 1975, Chrissie owns the clay

Print

By Nicholas J. Walz
Monday, August 26, 2013
Celebrating both the 40th anniversary of equal prize money for men's and women's players at the US Open and the formation of the Women's Tennis Association, founded in 1973, USOpen.org is proud to present "40 Important Women's Moments in US Open History."
This look at some of the greatest achievements and accomplishments by women players from the last 40 years will run all the way to the 2013 US Open women's singles final, scheduled for Sunday, Sept. 8. To review our entire countdown of the 40 Important Women's Moments in US Open History, click here

THE BUZZ: 20-year-old Chris Evert defeats Evonne Goolagong, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2, to win her first of an Open era-best six US Open women’s singles championships.
THE IMPACT: Top-seeded Evert had stalled in the semifinals the previous four years, including a tough three-set loss to Goolagong in 1974. But those four semis defeats would lead to four consecutive US Open championships – to this day, no women’s player has won three US Open titles in a row, let alone four.
“I’ll be riding high on this one for a while,” said Evert after the win. “At every opportunity, I glanced over to my family. The United States is my home and it means [a lot] to me to win here.”
From 1973 to 1979, Evert went 125 matches between defeats on clay, which was the surface used at Forest Hills for the 1975 tournament and through 1977. (The US Open switched to hard courts upon moving to Flushing Meadows in 1978.)
Goolagong, the reigning Australian Open champion, had been the last player to defeat Evert on clay, in August 1973, and appeared poised to do so once more in this final, taking the first set. The length of rallies crept into the range of 25, 30 and sometimes 35 shots as Evert regained composure.
“I was hoping if I just stayed in there she’d have a walk about,” said Evert, referring to Goolagong losing concentration. At a crucial point in the second set, as the pro-Evert American crowd cheered with fervor for a comeback, the Aussie made four straight errors to drop her serve and Evert knotted the match at a set apiece and cruised from there.
“I just wasn’t patient enough – it was not my sort of game,” said Goolagong, who would return to the US Open final for a fourth and final time in her career in 1976, only to lose to Evert once more, 6-3, 6-0.

THE QUESTION: How would US Open history have unfolded differently had the event remained on clay?

Last edited by Rollo : Aug 28th, 2013 at 04:20 PM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 29th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #2
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1975 US Open

It's a fascinating question Rollo. Had the USO stayed on clay then Chrissie surely would have dominated it much as she did the French.

Had it stayed on grass I believe Evonne Goolagong would have deservedly won her only missing Slam - and most likely a few times. King would have also been a threat in the mid 70s for another title as well.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #3
country flag matthirst2000

matthirst2000 is just really nice matthirst2000 is just really nice matthirst2000 is just really nice matthirst2000 is just really nice matthirst2000 is just really nice matthirst2000 is just really nice matthirst2000 is just really nice matthirst2000 is just really nice matthirst2000 is just really nice matthirst2000 is just really nice matthirst2000 is just really nice

Chris won the USO when it switched to hardcourts in 1978 anyway but 1979 on clay would have been interesting.(she only lost once on clay that year)Id say she probably would have won but not a done deal.In the 80s if the USO had continued on clay then probably another couple of titles.Can i ask you Rollo if the USO had continued on Forest Hills grass then how many different winners might we have seen?
matthirst2000 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #4
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

I wish there are more green clay tournaments. It's a surface that's important to tennis history and I don't think it should be lost.

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote