Why do players come to Doha? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 09:27 PM   #1
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
Why do players come to Doha?

which is scheduled to finish 3 days before IW... Obviously, it's not enough time (at least, for finalists) to get over the jetlag.

Were there players in the past who did well in both Doha and IW (when they were scheduled back to back)?
Advertisement

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 09:30 PM   #2
country flag MH-forever

MH-forever has a little shameless behaviour in the past MH-forever has a little shameless behaviour in the past MH-forever has a little shameless behaviour in the past MH-forever has a little shameless behaviour in the past MH-forever has a little shameless behaviour in the past
IW starts on Wed, and seeds dont play till late Thurs i believe, and mostly on Fri, and for the people who were in Dubai and want cheap pts + tax-free stuff (i think Doha does that do, not too sure) they can come here and play and still have to go west.
MH-forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 09:40 PM   #3
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
any players whodid well in both?
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 09:44 PM   #4
country flag tenn_ace

last year actually they did have a week between Dubai (was after Doha) and IW. And then Justine skipped IW anyways...
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 09:49 PM   #5
country flag tenn_ace

in 2002 Amelie won Dubai, but skipped IW as well

btw, the finalist (Testud) did the same.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 09:53 PM   #6
country flag tenn_ace

in 2001 Martina Hingis won Dubai, played IW, but lost in the semis to Kim (who was, at that time, an up-and-coming player)... that was the first loss of Martina to Kim

Nat Tauziat (the finalist in Dubai) lost her first match at IW to Evie Dominikovic... not an awesome result either...
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 10:19 PM   #7
M-SELESFAN

M-SELESFAN is just really nice M-SELESFAN is just really nice M-SELESFAN is just really nice M-SELESFAN is just really nice M-SELESFAN is just really nice M-SELESFAN is just really nice M-SELESFAN is just really nice M-SELESFAN is just really nice M-SELESFAN is just really nice M-SELESFAN is just really nice M-SELESFAN is just really nice
in 2002, Monica won Doha, lost in the semis of dubai and got to the semis of IW. Although, i think scottsdale (???) was in between the middle eastern tournaments and IW.
M-SELESFAN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 02:37 AM   #8
country flag - L i n a -

- L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about
Well, Scottsdale was always the week before IW, so this never took place.

Besides, top seeds don't play until Thu or Fri... so they had nearly 2 weeks.
- L i n a - is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 02:58 AM   #9
country flag firehorse

firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of firehorse has much to be proud of
well....they do this schedule so each tournaments get certain players to play certain tournaments...I am guessing it...for sure I know that certain tournament will pay more to WTA or ATP to make sure that their tournament will not clash with others....

beside certain players cant play in Dubai or Qatar...we will not see any Israelis players at all...I can quarantee that.
firehorse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 05:30 AM   #10
country flag GoSandrine

GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future GoSandrine has a brilliant future
Isn't there a huge financial incentive to play here?

I heard the top players receive appearance money. [img]http://smileys.******************/cat/12/12_1_102.gif[/img]

GoSandrine is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 04:01 PM   #11
country flag polishprodigy

polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute polishprodigy has a reputation beyond repute
yeah , coupled with the fact of UAE being the week before, Doha offers tax-free stuff and financial incentives FOR SURE.
polishprodigy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote