Maria Sharapova Answers Your Questions - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 12:13 AM   #1
VeraNuVirgosFan

VeraNuVirgosFan has disabled reputation
Maria Sharapova Answers Your Questions

Questions for Maria

After reaching the quarterfinals of the Cellular South Cup, teenage Russian star Maria Sharapova took time out to answer your questions from Memphis. Here's what she had to say...

Q: Who was your idol when you were growing up?

MS: I never actually had an idol when I was growing up. I always just concentrated on myself. And I never really watched television or anything like that, but I did enjoy watching good matches on TV, no one in particular, but I always enjoyed watching some good tennis, such as when Sampras and Agassi were on, or other fun players like Rios.

Q: Which Grand Slam would you most like to win and how soon would you want to be World No. 1?

MS: I really want to win Wimbledon because that's my favorite, it's really special to me and I've always enjoyed going there. I really want to be No. 1 in the world but I think it's going to take a little bit of time and hopefully I'll mature a little bit, I'll be physically stronger and more experienced and time will tell.

Q: Will your mom be traveling with you soon?

MS: My mom, well, if I get to the final of a Grand Slam I'll fly her over, but I don't think so otherwise. She's a very quiet lady and, although she loves to travel and she loves to be with me and I miss her a lot, but it's just the scheduling, the practicing, going back to the hotels, it's very hectic and she'd rather be at home. I call her all the time, send her postcards from wherever I've been. We have a very good relationship and we are very close friends.

Q: What are your goals for the new season?

MS: I never really set goals for myself. I just really want to perform well, do my best and work hard at what I do. Hopefully, as I mature into my body and get used to the tour it will be great, but I just need a bit more time and hopefully I can get into the Top 20.

Q: What are your favorite hobbies away from the court?

MS: My hobbies…I really enjoy fashion. When I'm with my friends we always do fashion designs. I love shopping and I love styling. I do yoga a lot, I love aromatherapy and candles, stuff like that. I do a lot of homework, because I'm still in high school. There's so much I like to do. I love to eat! And I like to go out and have a good time with my friends and family.

Q: What advice would you give to young players hoping to make it as a pro?

MS: I think just do your best at whatever you do. It doesn't have to be tennis. I think just always work hard because when you lose a match and you think: 'Oh, I didn't work hard at that point,' it's like you regret it, so you never want to regret anything.

Q: What is the strongest part of your game?

MS: I've never actually thought about that. I hit a pretty heavy ball, my serve is getting bigger and bigger as I get stronger. I'm trying to work on my net game, but that's not really my strength right now. I don't know, you'll have to ask other players!

Q: How do you deal with playing on the pro circuit at such a young age?

MS: It's not very easy on the tour because of the schedule. But I always try to think of the positive things, and yes, I'm young but it's fun traveling and seeing new cultures and different countries. I'm doing what I love doing, which is playing tennis. I'm a big competitor, so I love to compete against other players.

YVera Brezhneva
of Nu Virgos * ВИА-Гра
Vera – You are my #1!! Я тебя так благодарна!!

* Maша Sharapova * Nicole V * Venus * Лена Dementieva * K-Lina Šprem *
VeraNuVirgosFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 06:29 PM   #2
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
It looks like out friend Sharky had her question about Maria's mother answered.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 09:57 PM   #3
country flag - L i n a -

- L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about - L i n a - has a spectacular aura about
Looks like mine didn't get asked. Shocking.
- L i n a - is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 06:11 PM   #4
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
Poor Ev! I hope you asked a nice question and not one in your edgy and angry tone!
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote