My opinion is Williamses needs years to be back at the level they were - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #1
country flag stephanwiberg

stephanwiberg has a little shameless behaviour in the past stephanwiberg has a little shameless behaviour in the past
My opinion is Williamses needs years to be back at the level they were

I think both of them have never been out of competition for that long.
From the time they were young it was just tennis, all the time
Know they had to stop playing for a while and im curious how quickly they adapt.
Maybe all williams-fans forgot, but it took them quite long, to become the big tournament winners. Hingis and seles were a lot quikcer in that regard and even hingis had starter-problems with that pathetic service at the time.
stephanwiberg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 08:00 AM   #2
country flag Stefwhit

Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice
In the opion of professionals they needed to play juniors to have success in their professional careers....everyone has an opinion (especially about the sisters). My opinion is that what you said makes since and if it was applied toward anyone except for Serena I'd agree... I'm not implying that she's going to come out of the gates winning everything right away, but I'm definitely going on record and disagreeing with you that it's going to take a full year for her to get back to her winnning ways. Serena playing medicore is still better than 85% of the tour (again that's just my opinion). Time will tell...
Admiral: Kim Clijsters
Lieutenant General: Elena Dementieva
Major General: Myskina

nominees for Brigadier General:
Venus, Golovin, Lindsay, Petrova, and Pierce
Stefwhit is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 08:04 AM   #3
country flag tennisIlove09

tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute tennisIlove09 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanwiberg
I think both of them have never been out of competition for that long.
From the time they were young it was just tennis, all the time
Know they had to stop playing for a while and im curious how quickly they adapt.
Maybe all williams-fans forgot, but it took them quite long, to become the big tournament winners. Hingis and seles were a lot quikcer in that regard and even hingis had starter-problems with that pathetic service at the time.
Really? Venus starting play a full schedule in 97. She reached the finals of the US Open in 97.

In 98 March (6 months after the Open final) she won Miami--a big tournament.

yet it took her "quite long" to become a "big" tournament winner?

Serena started playing a full schedule late 97/all of 98. Yet, but 1999 (1 year, maybe 1 1/2) she had won the Open Gaz, Indian Wells and in the finals of Miami. 6 months later she won the US Open.

Yet it took her "quite" long to become a "big" tournament winner?

tennisIlove09 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 08:07 AM   #4
country flag Stefwhit

Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice Stefwhit is just really nice
Stephanwiberg- Had I noticed that although you have very few posts you still managed to accumulate a lot of negative rep point, it's likely I wouldn't have been so quick to offer a reply to your thread. I bet it's safe to assume that you start threads and post simply for the sake of getting a reaction- sorry I fell for it....

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 08:12 AM   #5
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute
Obviously any long layoff requires sometime to get into rhythm but no two players are identical and we won't know how the williams are playing till they start playing or become healthy.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 08:51 AM   #6

stephanwiberg has a little shameless behaviour in the past stephanwiberg has a little shameless behaviour in the past
sweet person,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisIlove09
Really? Venus starting play a full schedule in 97. She reached the finals of the US Open in 97.

In 98 March (6 months after the Open final) she won Miami--a big
tournament.

yet it took her "quite long" to become a "big" tournament winner?

Serena started playing a full schedule late 97/all of 98. Yet, but 1999 (1 year, maybe 1 1/2) she had won the Open Gaz, Indian Wells and in the finals of Miami. 6 months later she won the US Open.

Yet it took her "quite" long to become a "big" tournament winner?

Quite long would ofcourse always depend on what you compare it with.
I compared the time from starting on the tour, to really being very big took them both about 2 years then. Which isn't long on itself. I just meant to say that it might take them soemthing like that to be back at same level.

If i meant it long, in a way you suggesting then i would have said in their fifties, or something
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 08:57 AM   #7

you are a little bit in your right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefwhit
Stephanwiberg- Had I noticed that although you have very few posts you still managed to accumulate a lot of negative rep point, it's likely I wouldn't have been so quick to offer a reply to your thread. I bet it's safe to assume that you start threads and post simply for the sake of getting a reaction- sorry I fell for it....
i admit i did that with the Jennytalia-threads, both to get reactions and becuase i was in a jolly mood and had to laugh about it very hard and still think it;s quite funny

This though is by no means dishing or negative even. Its just that a lot of people are curious how it will go with them from now on, and so am I

It just occured to me that it did take them a little longer then some other superstars like monica or martina hingis. At that time me and some other tennis-fans were dishing Richard W. about saying his daughters would become 1 and 2 because for a long time it wasnt always winning/finals for them. Have to admit though after it happened once or twice it smmed to happen all the time.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 08:59 AM   #8
country flag Rub

Rub has much to be proud of Rub has much to be proud of Rub has much to be proud of Rub has much to be proud of Rub has much to be proud of Rub has much to be proud of Rub has much to be proud of Rub has much to be proud of Rub has much to be proud of Rub has much to be proud of Rub has much to be proud of
hopefully not!!! i missed them!!!
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:37 AM   #9
country flag Stefwhit

Quote:
i admit i did that with the Jennytalia-threads, both to get reactions and becuase i was in a jolly mood and had to laugh about it very hard and still think it;s quite funny

This though is by no means dishing or negative even. Its just that a lot of people are curious how it will go with them from now on, and so am I

It just occured to me that it did take them a little longer then some other superstars like monica or martina hingis. At that time me and some other tennis-fans were dishing Richard W. about saying his daughters would become 1 and 2 because for a long time it wasnt always winning/finals for them. Have to admit though after it happened once or twice it smmed to happen all the time.
OK... I thought u were possibly one of those 'extremist' who simply post to stir things up and not for "real" tennis talk.... (I noticed that you went from the (neg) red to the (positive) green, congratulations...lol)

Well as far as your topic is concerned- It's simply not true (in regards to Serena anyway). Serena cracked the top 20 eight months after her pro debut by reaching the quarterfinals of the Direct Line Insurance Championships in Lastbourne. That was one of the fastest rises in the history of the tour. Not to mention in Serena's second WTA main-draw event, the Ameritech Cup in Chicago, (No. 304) Serena beat (No. 7) Mary Pierce and (No. 4) Monica Seles on her way to the semifinals. She was the lowest ranked player ever to defeat two top 10 players in the same tournament at the time. That's a nice way to get things started, no?

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #10
country flag SJW

SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute
my opinion is that after RG, probably even after Wimby, we shall see exactly what state of mind the williamses are in
SJW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 11:13 AM   #11

if all courts were red

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJW
my opinion is that after RG, probably even after Wimby, we shall see exactly what state of mind the williamses are in
And all clay by that, Venus wouldn't be one of the top 5, i dare to say.
She did one good french, but there's Justine, Kim, Amelie, Serena, Captalia
and there used to be; Steffi, Monica, Sanchez- v,Martinez, Hingis.
and there will be: Krajicek, Flipkens,Golovin
and if you drink a little more there might be
Martina Muller, Elke Clijsters.

man seeing them win against venus is to me more meaningful and uplifting then world-peace
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #12
country flag SJW

SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
And all clay by that, Venus wouldn't be one of the top 5, i dare to say.
She did one good french, but there's Justine, Kim, Amelie, Serena, Captalia
and there used to be; Steffi, Monica, Sanchez- v,Martinez, Hingis.
and there will be: Krajicek, Flipkens,Golovin
and if you drink a little more there might be
Martina Muller, Elke Clijsters.

man seeing them win against venus is to me more meaningful and uplifting then world-peace
it looks to me like you've drunk enough already
SJW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #13
country flag Doraemon

Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts Doraemon is infamous around these parts
At the moment it's fair to say it's taking longer than it was originally anticipated. So the opinion of the starter isn't nonsense I think. Personally I think it will be near the end of the season or around the U.S. Open when the sisters will get back their form. It doesn't mean they will dominate the tour again, though. It seems the Belgians are improving a lot and it's gonna be tough for the sisters to own them the way they used to. I think the more competitive their rivalry gets, it's all the better for tennis and us fans.
Doraemon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 11:33 AM   #14
country flag Justinefan

Justinefan is an unknown quantity at this point Justinefan is an unknown quantity at this point Justinefan is an unknown quantity at this point Justinefan is an unknown quantity at this point Justinefan is an unknown quantity at this point Justinefan is an unknown quantity at this point Justinefan is an unknown quantity at this point Justinefan is an unknown quantity at this point Justinefan is an unknown quantity at this point Justinefan is an unknown quantity at this point Justinefan is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think anyone can know until they are 1. playing again, and 2. playing at their full potential.

Elena Dementieva
Justine Henin
Jennifer Capriati
Lindsay Davenport
Daniela Hantuchova
Kim Clijsters
Chanda Rubin
Justinefan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #15

Well just had a clear moment there then i guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJW
it looks to me like you've drunk enough already
because she hasn't done that well on clay has she. Could you name me one great venus-victory on clay. I mean honestly a semi-final opponent as Clarissa fernandez isn't a tough draw