What makes Justine such a good clay courter? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:47 PM   #1
henree

henree is a splendid one to behold henree is a splendid one to behold henree is a splendid one to behold henree is a splendid one to behold henree is a splendid one to behold henree is a splendid one to behold henree is a splendid one to behold henree is a splendid one to behold henree is a splendid one to behold henree is a splendid one to behold henree is a splendid one to behold
What makes Justine such a good clay courter?

I always wanted to know what makes some players better at clay than others. It seems that Justine is the favorite to win any clay tournaments she is entered into this year. My question is why? I have seen Kim play on clay as well, and I still think Kim is the better clay courter. Kim seems to have very fluid movement. She moves well from side to side. Justine is fast but she doesn't move with the ease and naturallness that Kim does. Why doesn't anyone think Kim is more of a threat to take the most clay court titles this year? Taking into consideration that Justine is a power hitter and her groundies won't penetrate the clay any better than Kim's. Isn't clay all about movement and defense?
henree is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:51 PM   #2
PatM04

PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future
Her movement is better than most, she is extremely patient, and she has more variety. And when it comes to Kim I think most people are picking Justine because of the mental advantage Justine has over her right now.

www.tiffanydabek.com
www.saraevans.com
PatM04 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:01 PM   #3
country flag "Sluggy"

"Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute "Sluggy" has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

yeah i dont know why either. i plan on seeing her at roland garros live this year, i went 4 times last year. she moves really well and is patient. and she plays so confidently it seems. i

Quote:
Originally Posted by henree
I always wanted to know what makes some players better at clay than others. It seems that Justine is the favorite to win any clay tournaments she is entered into this year. My question is why? I have seen Kim play on clay as well, and I still think Kim is the better clay courter. Kim seems to have very fluid movement. She moves well from side to side. Justine is fast but she doesn't move with the ease and naturallness that Kim does. Why doesn't anyone think Kim is more of a threat to take the most clay court titles this year? Taking into consideration that Justine is a power hitter and her groundies won't penetrate the clay any better than Kim's. Isn't clay all about movement and defense?
"Sluggy" is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:02 PM   #4
JustineTime

JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute JustineTime has a reputation beyond repute
Time and experience.

Time to set up her shots that the faster surfaces don't afford her, and lots of experience on the surface on which she grew up.

She slides like a Michele Kwan on the dirt!

The transgression of the wicked saith within my heart, that there is no fear of God before his eyes. Ps. 36:1

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Ps. 14:1, 53:1

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. Prov. 1:7

...Behold, the fear of the LORD, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding. Job 28:28
JustineTime is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #5
country flag spudrsca

spudrsca is a glorious beacon of light spudrsca is a glorious beacon of light spudrsca is a glorious beacon of light spudrsca is a glorious beacon of light spudrsca is a glorious beacon of light spudrsca is a glorious beacon of light spudrsca is a glorious beacon of light spudrsca is a glorious beacon of light spudrsca is a glorious beacon of light spudrsca is a glorious beacon of light spudrsca is a glorious beacon of light
because she can put a lot of spin on her balls, look at the spaniards on the men's side.
spudrsca is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:10 PM   #6
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute
justine can do a lot of things to that ball that kim can't. the thing is that against most player, justine can slice, top spin, blah blah blah blah that kim can't do as well. kim can do the slice and can do the top spin but not as confidently and as assertively as Justine. and just has good net play (better than Kim) that allows her to take advantage of her movement. And just has good anticipation that Kim doesn't have.
shap_half is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #7
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Because she grew up on clay and her game is clay-friendly really.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #8
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation
Kim grew up on clay too

Kim already goes on clay with the thought that it is not her best surface. That's not a good attitude, but I raised that subject before (when not about Kim)
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #9
country flag CJ07

CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute
the one thing that Justine really really does well on clay is retrieve. She did this very well at FCC last year against Serena. She was like 2 or 3 yards behind the baseline just retrieving. She knows Serena's dropshots are horrible (sorry rena, but they really are ) so it's not a problem.
CJ07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:53 PM   #10
country flag VW#1

VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice
I think Justine is only considered such a good clay courter by default. I personally think that she is a better grass court player than she is a clay court player. But people focus on her being a clay courter because that is the only surface where the Williams sisters can't overpower her, so it allows her to play her game more. No one in the world is better on grass than Henin Hardenne except for the Williams sisters. I think her game is better suited for grass, but because there are better players than her on that surface, people label her a clay courter.
VW#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:58 PM   #11
country flag SJW

SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute SJW has a reputation beyond repute
cuz she plays good squash shots
SJW is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 09:00 PM   #12
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcdonald
the one thing that Justine really really does well on clay is retrieve. She did this very well at FCC last year against Serena. She was like 2 or 3 yards behind the baseline just retrieving. She knows Serena's dropshots are horrible (sorry rena, but they really are ) so it's not a problem.
Yeah, I think if Serena could work on those....she´d be an even bigger threat to Justine for the mantle of best clay-courter.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 09:05 PM   #13
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
She is technically sound off both sides-meaning she can keep the ball in court when she has too. Both Clijsters and Venus break down off the forehand. I would say Serena is technically sound off both sides too, but Henin is a bit more patient and grew up on the stuff.

Capriati is also helped on the surface by her solid groundies.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #14
country flag DelMonte

DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future DelMonte has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW#1
I think Justine is only considered such a good clay courter by default. I personally think that she is a better grass court player than she is a clay court player. But people focus on her being a clay courter because that is the only surface where the Williams sisters can't overpower her, so it allows her to play her game more. No one in the world is better on grass than Henin Hardenne except for the Williams sisters. I think her game is better suited for grass, but because there are better players than her on that surface, people label her a clay courter.

I agree with VW#1 in that Justine is a superior grass court player. If Venus and Serena are not back to 100% by Wimbledon, I reckon Justine will win the Championships.

DelMonte
DelMonte is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #15
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
She is technically sound off both sides-meaning she can keep the ball in court when she has too. Both Clijsters and Venus break down off the forehand. I would say Serena is technically sound off both sides too, but Henin is a bit more patient and grew up on the stuff.

Capriati is also helped on the surface by her solid groundies.
It's what's brought her to the #1 spot. Justine used to make quite a few errors off that forehand wing, and she's made the adjustments, and now it's a technically sound shot that she can rely on, and hit winners when in position. I like watching her positioning on a clay court- it's still much better than the other surfaces for her- where she scrambles so much more.