Nice story from qualifying - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 06:50 PM   #1
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute
Nice story from qualifying

Fate brings Sonal back on court from airport

Hyderabad, Feb. 14: It was a golden turn for promising Indian tennis player Sonal Phadke at the Hyderabad Open tennis tournament on Saturday.

Disappointed on not being able to grab the last wild card for the qualifying draw of the annual WTA Tour event, Sonal had set off to the airport and had already checked in her baggage when she got a surprise call up.

“This morning, I learnt last year’s runner-up and the third-highest ranked player in the singles main draw Iroda Tulyaganova of Uzbekistan had pulled out because of an ankle injury and one from the qualifying draw made it to the main draw. That meant Ankita Bhambri made it to the qualifying event on her own, freeing the wild card given to her. I wanted that to be passed on to Sonal, who was almost in tears last night,” tournament director Krishna Bhupathi told Deccan Chronicle on Saturday.

But the drama started just then. “Sonal had packed her bags and left for the airport and was not reachable. Mahesh (Bhupathi) dashed to the airport to bring her. Meanwhile, we called the airport and had an announcement on the PA system, by which time, Sonal had already checked in. We had to finally pull her checked-in baggage so that she could play in the qualifiers,” Bhupathi said.

However, Sonal lost 3-6, 2-6 to Jin-Hee Kim in the first round.
spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 06:56 PM   #2
country flag alextreiber04

alextreiber04 is just really nice alextreiber04 is just really nice alextreiber04 is just really nice alextreiber04 is just really nice alextreiber04 is just really nice alextreiber04 is just really nice alextreiber04 is just really nice alextreiber04 is just really nice alextreiber04 is just really nice alextreiber04 is just really nice alextreiber04 is just really nice
OMG... @ the last sentence...after all that trouble OMG...
alextreiber04 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #3
country flag Steff_forever
GIMME SHELTER

Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute Steff_forever has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy
Fate brings Sonal back on court from airport

Hyderabad, Feb. 14: It was a golden turn for promising Indian tennis player Sonal Phadke at the Hyderabad Open tennis tournament on Saturday.

Disappointed on not being able to grab the last wild card for the qualifying draw of the annual WTA Tour event, Sonal had set off to the airport and had already checked in her baggage when she got a surprise call up.

“This morning, I learnt last year’s runner-up and the third-highest ranked player in the singles main draw Iroda Tulyaganova of Uzbekistan had pulled out because of an ankle injury and one from the qualifying draw made it to the main draw. That meant Ankita Bhambri made it to the qualifying event on her own, freeing the wild card given to her. I wanted that to be passed on to Sonal, who was almost in tears last night,” tournament director Krishna Bhupathi told Deccan Chronicle on Saturday.

But the drama started just then. “Sonal had packed her bags and left for the airport and was not reachable. Mahesh (Bhupathi) dashed to the airport to bring her. Meanwhile, we called the airport and had an announcement on the PA system, by which time, Sonal had already checked in. We had to finally pull her checked-in baggage so that she could play in the qualifiers,” Bhupathi said.

However, Sonal lost 3-6, 2-6 to Jin-Hee Kim in the first round.

Angelique Kerber | Ana Ivanovic | Annika Beck

forgive, you will never reach the level of my loyalty for the best that has ever played:
__Steffi forever__

Steff_forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 08:26 PM   #4
country flag nitsansh

nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of
I wonder what Mahesh is doing there... he should be playing doubles in Rotterdam this week, isn't he?
Maybe he was on his way to the airport for his own flight?
2007 race to the championship: 26, 293 pts, 8 tournaments
Year-end Ranking: 2006 - 46, 2005 - 8, 2004 - 63, 2003 - 146

Career Highlights:
Winner: 2006 - Beijing, 2005 - Sydney, Budapest, Hasselt
Runner-up: 2006 - Prague, 2005 - Hyderabad, Forest Hills, Los Angeles YEC
Semifinal: 2006 - Paris, Bogota, 2004 - Sopot
Quarterfinal: 2005 - Prague, Modena, 2004 - Indian Wells, Stockholm, Seoul, Filderstadt
nitsansh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 08:33 PM   #5
country flag nitsansh

nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of nitsansh has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plear
OMG... @ the last sentence...after all that trouble OMG...
She definitely earned the 1 ranking point for 1st round loser the hard way...

Career Highlights:
Quarterfinal: 2005 - Prague, Modena, 2004 - Indian Wells, Stockholm, Seoul, Filderstadt
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 08:34 PM   #6
country flag ghosts
Team WTAworld

ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute ghosts has a reputation beyond repute
poor she

My #1 in tennis
>> Tsvetana Pironkova <<

ghosts is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 08:48 PM   #7
country flag Smart

Smart is a jewel in the rough Smart is a jewel in the rough Smart is a jewel in the rough Smart is a jewel in the rough Smart is a jewel in the rough Smart is a jewel in the rough Smart is a jewel in the rough Smart is a jewel in the rough Smart is a jewel in the rough Smart is a jewel in the rough Smart is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosts
poor she
I agree

Smart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 10:27 PM   #8
country flag oren987

oren987 has much to be proud of oren987 has much to be proud of oren987 has much to be proud of oren987 has much to be proud of oren987 has much to be proud of oren987 has much to be proud of oren987 has much to be proud of oren987 has much to be proud of oren987 has much to be proud of oren987 has much to be proud of oren987 has much to be proud of
This is sooooo funny... Poor Sonal

good luck to all the Israeli girls

Shahar, Its time to have a good year
oren987 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:42 AM   #9
country flag Harju.
Ferosh Warrior ♥

Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute Harju. has a reputation beyond repute
Sonal is a good player and she has the Momo-look a like with a ladier face

Poor Sonal

Harju. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 02:52 AM   #10
country flag Ted of Teds Tennis

Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all Ted of Teds Tennis is a name known to all
Ah, but how much money do you get for losing in the 1QR of a Tier 4?
Ted of Teds Tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 03:16 AM   #11
country flag nitsansh

Probably less than the plane ticket cost her...

BTW... where was she supposed to fly to?

Career Highlights:
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 05:56 AM   #12
country flag danielrosario

danielrosario is a glorious beacon of light danielrosario is a glorious beacon of light danielrosario is a glorious beacon of light danielrosario is a glorious beacon of light danielrosario is a glorious beacon of light danielrosario is a glorious beacon of light danielrosario is a glorious beacon of light danielrosario is a glorious beacon of light danielrosario is a glorious beacon of light danielrosario is a glorious beacon of light danielrosario is a glorious beacon of light
She would have flown back to Bombay, of course... not that expensive from Hydrabad

BTW I suppose i'm the only one who didn't find it funny. After all, she did come back in the nick of time and take 5 games off a much higher ranked player. I'm sure she was glad to have the chance to compete.
danielrosario is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:10 AM   #13
PatM04

PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future PatM04 has a brilliant future
I didn't think it was that hillarious but at least she got to play. Hopefully she can have luck in some of the Middle Eastern 10K's

www.tiffanydabek.com
www.saraevans.com
PatM04 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:30 AM   #14
country flag jayakris

jayakris is a name known to all jayakris is a name known to all jayakris is a name known to all jayakris is a name known to all jayakris is a name known to all jayakris is a name known to all jayakris is a name known to all jayakris is a name known to all jayakris is a name known to all jayakris is a name known to all jayakris is a name known to all
Nitsansh --

Mahesh is there because his company, Globosport, runs it.

By the way, the reason why Sonal was nearly in tears the previous night was probably because she felt Shahar Pear took away a spot that could have gone to her in the qualies... I am glad that it all worked out well in the end.

Jay
jayakris is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:16 AM   #15
country flag Rising Sun

Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future
Poor Sonal.

I'm wondering why Punam Reddy & Iciri Rai were given WCs before her though, despite being ranked much lower than her. Are they from Hyderabad?

Had she entered the tourney in the first place though, she would have made it in directly without needing a WC. Hope she does so next year.
Rising Sun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote