Virgina Slims Results 1976 - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:13 PM   #31
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
It was news to me too Preacherfan! I'm not sure exactly how it worked-but it looks as if the Slims tour used the computer as a rough guide of sorts but relied more on points/results from that years circuit.
In her autobiography, Evonne writes at how thrilled she was to return to the #1 spot for the first time since 71 and for a moment I thought it was a mistake as she never dislodged Chris from top spot on the WTA computer. Andrewtas' quote above confirms that she did pass her on the "Virginia Slims" rankings, though.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:56 PM   #32
macn

macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice macn is just really nice
Wonderful post, I love the fact that you added the doubles results! I didn't know that goolagong and navratilova played together! Would have loved to have seen that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan75
i have the 74 slims as well, ill try and get those posted soon
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:36 PM   #33
AndrewTas

AndrewTas has disabled reputation
Thankyou. Hopefully you can post some more. While doing Kings and Goolagongs career records there were some missing results like Pheonix Slims and any results you have are great.
AndrewTas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:47 PM   #34
AndrewTas

AndrewTas has disabled reputation
Sorry but I got everyone excited for the wrong reason. I wrote down the wrong list and quoted the Virginia Slims Prize Money Earnings List for 1976 (top 20) on page 156 of World of Tennis 1977. But there is a VS top ten players list on the same page and the final results were for 1976.

1. Goolagong 840 points
2. Evert 720 points
3. Casals 580
4. Wade 540
5. Navratilova 460
6. Barker 360
7. Redondo 350
8. Holladay 330
9. Stove 320
10. Morozova 310

This is the only ranking list I have seen for the VS except for money lists. Sorry for the mistake.
AndrewTas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 07:46 PM   #35
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future
Re: Virgina Slims Results 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
It was news to me too Preacherfan! I'm not sure exactly how it worked-but it looks as if the Slims tour used the computer as a rough guide of sorts but relied more on points/results from that years circuit.
I don't recall exactly how it worked, but it was a slightly tweaked system to allow for players to move up/down from the futures tournaments. The way the futures tour worked in conjunction with the Slims was that each semifinalist at the Futures was guaranteed entry into the next two weeks of Slims events. In turn, Slims players not ranked high enough had to drop down to play the Futures.
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 07:48 PM   #36
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
In her autobiography, Evonne writes at how thrilled she was to return to the #1 spot for the first time since 71 and for a moment I thought it was a mistake as she never dislodged Chris from top spot on the WTA computer. Andrewtas' quote above confirms that she did pass her on the "Virginia Slims" rankings, though.
Just to finish this thread out, we know now that Evonne did actually get the No. 1 ranking on the WTA computer as well, even if it was for a week! Still, glad she got it, as she was generally regarded as the top player from the end of Slims until Wimbledon -- even if her head-to-head with Evert was 2-2 for the year at that time.
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 09:29 PM   #37
country flag Declan

Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of Declan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T View Post

Thanks for these Jay.

Check out the seedings here: Goolagong is seeded #1 and Evert #2. This is February 1976, so the WTA rankings are up and running.
What does this mean? Did Evonne actually go back to #1 at this point (in which case all the talk about Evert's stranglehold 1975-8 is based on misinformation) or did they have some weird way of seeding?????
Virginia Slims seedings intrigued me back in the Seventies. I once wrote to Laurie Pignon, an experienced tennis journalist for the "Daily Mail" to question something regarding how they were worked out, and he wrote back to say he'd been in touch with the press for the VS tour, who confirmed that for the first three tournaments of the season they used the WTA computer rankings for seedings, but for the remainder of the tour they had their own seedings, based on performance on the tour to date. This would explain Evonne's No.1 this year, and explained to me, a few years later, how players like Ilana Kloss and Ann Kiyomura came to be seeded at Slims events, despite their lowly 'official' rankings. They'd had a good run in an early tournament and reaped the rewards a couple of weeks later.

Last edited by Declan : Apr 2nd, 2008 at 09:36 PM.
Declan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #38
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank to Jem and Declan I have added the Slims finals (Los Angeles) results-thanks!
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:35 PM   #39
country flag TennisFan75

TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold

bump for the poster looking for mid-70's results
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #40
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

That would be me, as far as the one looking for results from 1976 ; - } Thanks to everyone who had the results and took the time to post. This helps me tremendously!!!!

As I'm still new to this forum, just curious if anyone can point me to results from the rest of the 1976 season, when the tour was sponsored by Colgate. I actually have partial results from many tournaments, and will post in the next week or so. Also, I am looking for results from the 1977 VS and Colgate series events. Thanks again!!
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #41
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Virginia Slims seedings intrigued me back in the Seventies. I once wrote to Laurie Pignon, an experienced tennis journalist for the "Daily Mail" to question something regarding how they were worked out, and he wrote back to say he'd been in touch with the press for the VS tour, who confirmed that for the first three tournaments of the season they used the WTA computer rankings for seedings, but for the remainder of the tour they had their own seedings, based on performance on the tour to date. This would explain Evonne's No.1 this year, and explained to me, a few years later, how players like Ilana Kloss and Ann Kiyomura came to be seeded at Slims events, despite their lowly 'official' rankings. They'd had a good run in an early tournament and reaped the rewards a couple of weeks later.
Hi
I know this is a post from a while back. But I am doing some research on the early days of the WTA computer rankings. First, I appreciate this insight into how they did the Slims seedings, because they don't really make sense.

As has already been reported, the WTA acknowledged they missed some of Evonne's results, and that she did in fact hold the #1 ranking for a short period in spring of 1976, from Apr 26 - May 10, which followed her VS Championships triumph over Evert.

But here is something I found from the SF Chronicle, Feb 27, 1976.

COMPUTER SEEDS EVERT SECOND
Evonne Goolagong of Australia has been seeded No. 1 ahead of Chris Evert of Fort Lauderdale, Fla. for the $75,000 Viriginia Slams tournament opening in the Civic Auditorium Sunday at 4p.m. and that proves you don't mess around with a computer.

Just a few hours before the official announcement of the seeding was made in Sarasota, Fla., where the Slims players are performing this week, San Francisco officials came out with word that Evert would be No. 1 and Goolagong No. 2.

“Why not?” one official said yesterday. “After all, Chrissie was defending champion, right? And defending champions are almost always the No. 1 seed, right?”

Almost right. Except when a computer is asked to do the seeding.

You see, computers are more objective than people. Much more. They don’t care that one player (Evert) was named Associated Press Female Athlete of the Year. Nor that one player (Evert again) won a record $412,977 in prize money last year. Not even that one player (yeah, Evert) holds a decided lifetime advantage in wins over another (Goolagong).

All the computer cares about is how the two have fared so far this year and here Goolagong has won two tournaments in two tries while Evert has won two in three tries with a runnerup in the third. Goolagong gets the edge by a fraction, the computer says. And what the computer says, goes.

Trailing those two big guns in the seedings came Martina Navratilova of Beverly Hills but late of Czecholsvakia; Virginia Wade of England; Nancy Gunter of San Angelo, Tex.; Marita Redondo of National City (near San Diego); Rosie Casals, the Golden Gate Park product who now lives in Sausalito, and Terry Holladay of La Jolla.

There’s an excellent chance the finals on Saturday, March 6, will be a sellout, in which case they will be televised nationally, live with no blackout. But tournament officials and CBS aren’t certain.

If they’d run it through the computer, though, they’d probably know for sure.

- END-

I know the WTA instituted computer rankings in Nov 1975. So the 1976 season was the first to start out with computer rankings. But it's interesting that some computer ranking had Goolagong ahead of Evert as of Feb 27. Ironically, Chris would go on to beat Evonne in the Sarasota final 63,60 on Feb 29, and again on March 6 in SF 75,76.

Whatever their system, it couldn't be one where most # of points determines seedings, because Chris played 3 events to Evonne's 2. But they must have used a system of averages. Interesting too that the WTA, or Virginia Slims officials, weren't using any other results. Chris won the L'Eggs World Series on January 11 (which I don't know if it was ever considered on the actual WTA rankings), beating Evonne 63,76. Evonne won the 1976 Australian Open which ended in early January.
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #42
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Hi this is my first entry, I think that the site is great and brings back great memories to this nearly 40 year old Scot!! As a Sue Barker fan I feel that this was the period when she really did look as if the world could be her oyster. Her close matches with Chris Evert showed her growing confidence, as did the win in LA over Wade.
You could say that her victory at the French Open was very hollow, but the confidence from the VS circuit was contributory. ( weak as the field was it did include renowned clay court players i.e. Ruzici, Jausovec, Masthoff, Tomanova. These people were to be, or had been, some of the finest exponents on European clay.
Sue also had a great win over Casals in the Wightman Cup later in 76 and demolished Evert 62 in the first set of their cup match.
76 and 77 were really the only glimpse of what Barker could achieve.

Last edited by iainmac : Apr 9th, 2009 at 12:03 PM.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #43
country flag iainmac

iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold iainmac is a splendid one to behold

Sorry for the English in the above- had to rush as I realised I was late for my head shaving appointment!!!!!!
I feel genuinely that 75-81 were the most interesting times for womens tennis, the amount of genuine contenders and real personalities makes todays top 20 look a little bland.
iainmac is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #44
country flag mick1303

mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice

How come Virginia Slims of Detroit and Virginia Slims of San Francisco are the same week of February 17-22 with pretty much the same field?
Something is not right.
mick1303 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #45
country flag mick1303

mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice

Virginia Slims of Boston $75,000 March 22-28, 1976 Sporteze:

Why Redondo plays Casals for the 3rd place if Redondo lost in the 2nd round while another losing semifinalist was Balestrat (Fromholtz)?
mick1303 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote