Virgina Slims Results 1976 - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #16
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Great to see Durr/Casals did so well in doubles this year, posting a few great wins over Evert/Navratilova etc.
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 03:56 PM   #17
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
Good point Andy. I noticed that as well. I love the fact that the seedings are shown. Very interesting.
Mark43 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:04 PM   #18
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark37
Good point Andy. I noticed that as well. I love the fact that the seedings are shown. Very interesting.
Isn't it Mark? I really hope someone can explain how the seedings were determined because this is intriguing me. She did mention in "Home" that she made it back to #1 in 76 and was seeded one for the slims finals that year ( I just assumed there that the seedings were based on points totals during the series)

Another point, I don't think the slims finals counted towards rankings at that time, did they???? If they didn't it's too bad: maybe she would have made it to #1.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 10:16 PM   #19
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Did I hear Chris Evert??! (chime) ... yes, Evonne & Chris were very close in '76 up til mid-year. When they met for that big Wimbledon final, it was for the title but ALSO for the #1 world ranking. Chris eeeked out a victory 8-6, but really finished matters off at the us open with a 6-3 6-0 clubbing of Goolagong. The attributing of Evert's dominance from 1974 til 79 has Virginia Wade as its source, which I assume Wade's assessment would be pretty accurate, since she was certainly vying near the top spot, especially in '77. But I also assume just as Clijsters held the #1 spot during many months, a lot of us felt Justine was really #1. So likewise Chris may have seemed the dominant player in the eyes of the players, but the rankings do jumble back and forth a bit.

One would hope there were close-patches for the top spot at certain times or it would not speak well of the competitive spirit of the time. But likewise, against Evert, she held the #1 ranking in 1985 from June to the end of November. (It was so late in the year, in fact, that Chris was then seeded #1 at the Aussie Open even though Martina was, by tournament's start, ranked #1.) But I'm sure most of the public (and Navratilova) felt Martina was #1 that year no matter what Chris was ranked.

Anyway, Evert was 5-2 against Goolagong for the year 1976, just for the record.

Last edited by daze11 : Feb 16th, 2004 at 10:26 PM.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 03:28 AM   #20
country flag Mark43

Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold Mark43 is a splendid one to behold
Yeah and I am pretty sure that Chris never lost her number one rank on the computer until Martina snatched it away in 1978 or 79. I imagine Evonne's Virginia Slims rank was only based on their point system. Her 1976 Wimbledon loss was such a heartbreaker for me. All signs pointed toward a victory. I guess it made 1980 all the more sweeter, except Evonne pretty much retired after that.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 09:04 AM   #21
country flag Brian Stewart
Plainclothes Division

Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for these results, Jay!

So, do you have any more?
Brian Stewart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #22
country flag TennisFan75

TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold TennisFan75 is a splendid one to behold
i have the 74 slims as well, ill try and get those posted soon
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 07:43 AM   #23
country flag Brian Stewart
Plainclothes Division

Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute Brian Stewart has a reputation beyond repute
In the Sarasota tournament, who did Redondo beat in the first round?
Brian Stewart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 04:52 PM   #24
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
Question:
I'm looking for the full draw of the '76 Family Circle Cup. The database only has this:

Apr 26-May 2 Family Circle Cup Amelia Is, FL (CL) Dr=32
2R Struthers d. Redondo 7-5 6-3, Kloss d. Navratilova [2] 6-4 2-6 7-5
QF Evert d. Stove 6-4 6-4, Struthers d. Hunt 6-2 6-4
QF Barker d. Gunter 6-2 4-6 6-4, Reid d. Kloss 6-2 6-1
SF Evert d. Struthers 6-0 6-0, Reid d. Barker 6-2 6-1
FI Chris Evert [1] d. Kerry Reid (Aus) 6-2 6-2
DF Boshoff/Kloss d. Kuykendall/Ziegenfuss 6-3 6-2

The FCC had great draws, and it would be interesting to see who lost early.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 04:57 PM   #25
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
The following link gives the seeds for each year from 75 and the round each reached. I think I have more precise info on this event tucked away somewhere - i'll try and hunt it out for you.

http://www.savannahnow.com/features/...ory/seeds.html

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:09 PM   #26
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
The following link gives the seeds for each year from 75 and the round each reached. I think I have more precise info on this event tucked away somewhere - i'll try and hunt it out for you.

http://www.savannahnow.com/features/...ory/seeds.html
Thank, Andy. It appears the '76 FCC had one of its weaker fields. Redondo was seeded #3 ahead of Richey Gunter and Melville Reid. Stove, Barker and Hunt were also seeded. Martina's early loss cleared the way for Reid's regular run to the finals.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:20 AM   #27
country flag Mark43

Fun to browse the rankings and results. Thanks.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:15 AM   #28
AndrewTas

AndrewTas has disabled reputation
Though I had this and I do.
Here are the results from the July 1976 World Tennis Magazine.

Apr 26-May 2 Family Circle Cup Amelia Is, FL (CL) Dr=32
First Qualifying Round
R Gisacfre d. B Butler 46 60 60
R Fox d. J Devereux 63 64
V Komar d. J Connor 61 36 76
M Struthers d. N Ornstein 64 26 62

Final Qualifying Round
Giscafre d. L Thomas 36 75 76
B Nagelsen d. L Tenney 62 64
K Harrer d. S Maharaj 57 62 76
I Kloss d. Fox 62 61
B Brankovska d. R Stark 62 75
Z Leiss d. B Downs 63 64
Struthers d. Komar 63 63
S Greer d. B Bruning 67 63 61

First Round
C Evert d. Turnbull 62 61
T Fretz d. W Overton 63 62
B Stove d. V Ziegenfuss 75 63
R Giscafre d. J Anthony 75 62
M Redondo d. K May 63 57 62
M Struthers d. B Nagelsen 62 62
L Hunt d. K Harter 62 64
J Metcalf d. S Greer 75 63
P Teeguarden d. L Boshoff 62 46 64
S Barker d. I Fernandez 76 62
J Evert d. B Brankovska 75 64
N Gunter d. G Coles 63 63
K Kuykendall d. Z Leiss 75 75
K Reid d. J Russell 75 64
I Kloss d. B Norton 46 75 63
M Navratilova d. B Bruning 63 16 64

2R
Evert d. T Fretz 60 60
B Stove d. R Giscafre 63 62
M Struthers d. M Redondo 75 63
L Hunt d. J Metcalf 63 75
S Barker d. P Teeguarden 62 62
N Gunter d. J Evert 64 46 75
K Reid d. K Kuykendall 62 62
I Kloss d. Navratilova 64 26 75

QF
Evert d. Stove 6-4 6-4
Struthers d. Hunt 6-2 6-4
Barker d. Gunter 6-2 4-6 6-4
Reid d. Kloss 6-2 6-1

SF
Evert d. Struthers 6-0 6-0
Reid d. Barker 6-2 6-1

Final
Chris Evert [1] d. Kerry Reid (Aus) 6-2 6-2

Doubles
First Round
Navratilova/ Fernandez d. Turnbull/ Metcalf 67 75 75
Russell/ Nagelsen d. Brankovska/ Hilary LaDuke 63 76
Kuykendall/ Ziegenfuss d. Gunter/ Fretz 63 63
Barker/ Redondo d. Bruning/ Greer 64 61
Giscafre/ Aleida Spex d. Komar/ Maharaj 46 62 63
Hunt/ Coles d. May/Norton 63 61
Leiss/ Harter d. N Ornstein/ Struthers 63 64
Kloss/ Boshoff d. L Thomas/ J Evert 63 46 62

Quarters
Navratilova/ Fernandez d. Russell/ Nagelsen 76 64
Kuykendall/ Ziegenfuss d. Barker/ Redondo 61 76
Hunt/ Coles d. Giscafre/ Spex wo
Kloss/ Boshoff d. Leiss/ Harter 60 62

Semi-finals
Kuykendall/ Ziegenfuss d. Navratilova/ Fernandez 63 64
Kloss/ Boshoff d. Hunt/ Coles 06 64 63

Final
Boshoff/Kloss d. Kuykendall/Ziegenfuss 6-3 6-2

From the Virginia Slims Circuit the following top 20 players played this tournament (with there VS final ranking).
Ranked No 2. C Evert
5. Navratilova
6. Stove
12. Barker
13. Redondo
16. Hunt
17. Doerner
20. Gunter

Missing were played like Goolagong, Wade, Casals, Guerrant, Kiyomura, Morozova and Durr.

TennisFan75 are you still going to post the VS 1974 results.
AndrewTas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:47 PM   #29
country flag preacherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewTas
From the Virginia Slims Circuit the following top 20 players played this tournament (with there VS final ranking).
Ranked No 2. C Evert
5. Navratilova
6. Stove
12. Barker
13. Redondo
16. Hunt
17. Doerner
20. Gunter

Missing were played like Goolagong, Wade, Casals, Guerrant, Kiyomura, Morozova and Durr.
I never knew until this thread that the Virginia Slims tour developed its own ranking system separate from the WTA computer. If you follow this thread the seeding change quickly from tournament to tournament. I'm pretty sure that Evert was still the computer #1 though Goolagong was #1 on the Slims circuit. And I don't think Stove broke into the top ten until late '76 or early '77.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:47 PM   #30
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I never knew until this thread that the Virginia Slims tour developed its own ranking system separate from the WTA computer. If you follow this thread the seeding change quickly from tournament to tournament. I'm pretty sure that Evert was still the computer #1 though Goolagong was #1 on the Slims circuit. And I don't think Stove broke into the top ten until late '76 or early '77.
It was news to me too Preacherfan! I'm not sure exactly how it worked-but it looks as if the Slims tour used the computer as a rough guide of sorts but relied more on points/results from that years circuit.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote