Why Dinara is not top 5 material... - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 05:55 PM   #16
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ys
I think this expression makes no sense logically. The word "yet" in it. A player is Top 5 material or not regardless of her current results. Simply because the concept of "material" is based on potential, not results.

Was Tatiana Golovin a Top 5 material a month ago? Is she now? Did anything change in terms of her potential since then?
to me it does... Justine wasn't a top 5 material when she started, but she kept working and improving and as much as you don't like me to use her example, she showed last year (Jan-March) that she would be there (even though she still had ways to go to get there).
Advertisement

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #17
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn_ace
to me it does... Justine wasn't a top 5 material when she started, but she kept working and improving and as much as you don't like me to use her example, she showed last year (Jan-March) that she would be there (even though she still had ways to go to get there).
Oh, really? She has always been a top 5 material. From the very beginning. Since she won her first WTA tournament that she played. Took Davenport to a tight 3-setter in the first GS she played.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:46 PM   #18
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
How about Nastya? Did she have top 5 talent in 2000?
Anna and Elena are her age, and were both in the top 10 then.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:55 PM   #19
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox
How about Nastya? Did she have top 5 talent in 2000?
Anna and Elena are her age, and were both in the top 10 then.
Even given my great sympathy to Nastya, I do not think she is a Top 5 talent. She does not have a physique for that.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:01 PM   #20
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
But Nastya can hit with pace, and handle pace. And she moves well.
Unless you have obvious weapons, you have to reach the top 5 through consistency and court coverage.
That might develop over time. And Nastya will be in the top 5 pretty soon.

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #21
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox
But Nastya can hit with pace, and handle pace. And she moves well.
Unless you have obvious weapons, you have to reach the top 5 through consistency and court coverage.
That might develop over time. And Nastya will be in the top 5 pretty soon.
We are talking about different things. When I say "Top 5", I mean a Top 5 resident, not reaching Top 5 once a career. Not Huber, MJF, Dokic or Hantuchova. Those players are not Top 5 players. They reached Top 5 due to circumstances rather than because they belong there. Nastya can easily be like them or better. But I am talking about potential of having a long spell - years of staying in Top 5. I do not think that Nastya has a potential for that.

PLAY TENNIS!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:14 PM   #22
country flag goldenlox

I'm thinking about the potential. I don't remember Nastya's game in 2000 or before. I didn't see her then. I think her potential may have increased.

I think Nastya will spend a lot of time in the top 5. I don't expect Capriati, Davenport, and Venus to play full schedules anymore.

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:03 PM   #23
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
I agree that Nastya is not top 5 material even though she is 2-3 places away from it.

Anna K. was once. Lena L. - I don't think so.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:05 PM   #24
country flag tenn_ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ys
Oh, really? She has always been a top 5 material. From the very beginning. Since she won her first WTA tournament that she played. Took Davenport to a tight 3-setter in the first GS she played.
forgetting that it was clay (her fav surface) and Davenport least one?

try searching these boards going just a year ago and you will see that even then people were saying that she's hardly top 5.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:13 PM   #25
country flag goldenlox

Who's talking about Lena L.?

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:20 PM   #26
country flag tenn_ace

I meant Lena D... no need to get nasty. unless of course u'r ok to be treated the same way.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:23 PM   #27
country flag goldenlox

I thought maybe you switched to doubles potential.
I think Nastya has a chance to be like Mauresmo, and stay in the top 5.

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:23 PM   #28
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

Quote:
forgetting that it was clay (her fav surface) and Davenport least one?
Forgetting that Davenport was in top form and played excellent ckaycourt tennis, beating a bunch of very good claycourters and losing in a tight three-setter to eventual champion Steffi Graf? And played a rookie?

PLAY TENNIS!
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:26 PM   #29
country flag tenn_ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ys
Forgetting that Davenport was in top form and played excellent ckaycourt tennis, beating a bunch of very good claycourters and losing in a tight three-setter to eventual champion Steffi Graf? And played a rookie?
forgetting it was a first round match and Juju was virtually unknown (including to Davenport), so surprises do happen in the 1st round...

Babsi has never been considered a top 5 material even after her win over Williams...
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:28 PM   #30
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

Quote:
I meant Lena D... no need to get nasty. unless of course u'r ok to be treated the same way.
And Elena D. has all potential in the world. All she has to do is to try her best and she will be Top 5 easily. For as long as she stubbornly refuses professional coaching appropriate for a Top 5 player, and prefers holidays to grand slam preparation, she will be where she is, at very best.

PLAY TENNIS!