Words of Wisdom from Margaret Court - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:31 PM   #46
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
THIS THREAD:
Words of Wisdom from Margaret Court

since, personal experience is the most convincing teacher, i invite anyone who hasn't played with a wood racquet (or at least not recently) to go give it a try. As they say in real estate, "See & Compare"...

Last edited by daze11 : Feb 16th, 2004 at 08:47 PM.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:48 PM   #47
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
I had the wood vs. today's racquets discussion with a local tennis coach recently. He began playing back in the 1950s with wood, and is still playing to this day. Surprisingly, he said he'd never go back to wood, especially now that he's a senior. I asked why, and his explanation was revealing. He said that the bigger racquets are much easier on the arm than wood. They are lighter, more maneuverable, and easier to play with. He even said that he couldn't play 2-3 hours of tennis any more with a wooden racquet, because they're 2 and sometimes 3 ounces heavier than most frames today, and harder on the arms.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:45 PM   #48
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
It's true, you feel it in your arm more. That's part of what makes it more 'tactile'; the wood is closer to an extension of your hand and arm and is a more organic experience for that reason, and provides much better touch. Obviously, the more you play with it, the more you develop the muscles that are in accordance with the racquet you use. But it does put the focus of play on the mental more than the physical and is a neutralizer to athletes so that a librarian has a shot against them. I suspect that's what a lot of today's more 'athletic' core of players may object to about the use of wood, but all the more reason to make the switch. And while its harder on the arm, there would be MANY fewer player INJURIES that keep them out of tournament play for long stretches of time, which is bad for their game and bad for the sport, which needs the top-name players healthy to sell tickets. (The SPEED of play and POWER of the vibration to the body is what's causing so many injuries...wood's vibration against another wood is much less than against the speed/power coming at it from today's racquets!)

Also, the point that he's an older gentleman...this suggestion of the use of wood is to MAKE IT HARDER (not EASIER, as someone like him would naturally want, at his age) for PRO players. What a non-ranked professional can do with today's technology is great, because it makes BETTER play more feasible and comes quicker to players who would otherwise not be as good. But the pros are so good, that they almost need balancing in the other direction to keep the sport interesting. Call it a 'handicap' as in horse-racing, but it would make the sport more interesting and challenging...and that's better for the development of the players' game and more exciting for the fans.

It's a win-win situation, and is so obvious to me, I cant believe there is not greater support for this. Except that human nature does tend to go with "I'll do the easy thing rather than the one that takes work" almost everytime. We are lazy and want things handed to us.

if tennis is to remain a sport about refinement of the senses, wood's the direction. if its going to become about the domination of power, then today's technology has gotten us there. this is a CULTURAL issue that is true of this planet in general, it is not comfined to the tennis court. Wonderful if tennis would set some example about the proper management of power. But I dont think it will happen, in any case. It's certainly nice to talk about, being a dreamer.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:57 PM   #49

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11
It's true, you feel it in your arm more. That's part of what makes it more 'tactile'; the wood is closer to an extension of your hand and arm and is a more organic experience for that reason, and provides much better touch. Obviously, the more you play with it, the more you develop the muscles that are in accordance with the racquet you use. But it does put the focus of play on the mental more than the physical and is a neutralizer to athletes so that a librarian has a shot against them. I suspect that's what a lot of today's more 'athletic' core of players may object to about the use of wood, but all the more reason to make the switch. And while its harder on the arm, there would be MANY fewer player INJURIES that keep them out of tournament play for long stretches of time, which is bad for their game and bad for the sport, which needs the top-name players healthy to sell tickets. (The SPEED of play and POWER of the vibration to the body is what's causing so many injuries...wood's vibration against another wood is much less than against the speed/power coming at it from today's racquets!)

Also, the point that he's an older gentleman...this suggestion of the use of wood is to MAKE IT HARDER (not EASIER, as someone like him would naturally want, at his age) for PRO players. What a non-ranked professional can do with today's technology is great, because it makes BETTER play more feasible and comes quicker to players who would otherwise not be as good. But the pros are so good, that they almost need balancing in the other direction to keep the sport interesting. Call it a 'handicap' as in horse-racing, but it would make the sport more interesting and challenging...and that's better for the development of the players' game and more exciting for the fans.

It's a win-win situation, and is so obvious to me, I cant believe there is not greater support for this. Except that human nature does tend to go with "I'll do the easy thing rather than the one that takes work" almost everytime. We are lazy and want things handed to us.

if tennis is to remain a sport about refinement of the senses, wood's the direction. if its going to become about the domination of power, then today's technology has gotten us there. this is a CULTURAL issue that is true of this planet in general, it is not comfined to the tennis court. Wonderful if tennis would set some example about the proper management of power. But I dont think it will happen, in any case. It's certainly nice to talk about, being a dreamer.
I agree with you. I guess what I was trying to illustrate was a reluctance of the older player who can still play because of the new racquets, who would not be able to otherwise play as aggressively. I'm not, however, at all in favor of having a separate set of standard racquets for the pros and the rest of us having mid and oversized frames, and I think therein lies the problem- getting the pros and training academies to switch back to standard size frames would work, and probably take about 2-4 years to pull off. The problem is the rest of the tennis playing public, who for all intents and purposes play tennis recreationally. The transition for most people to a standard size frame would require them to totally re-learn the game and how to play it. I still have a Dunlop 200G frame from the 80s, and every now and again I pick it up and whack a few forehands, because with this smaller head and sweetspot farther away from my hand, I can hit forehands like I can with no other frame. My first frame was an AMF Head Aluminum, bought for me by my parents in 1973 for Christmas, just a few months after watching the Battle of the Sexes. I never had a wood racquet growing up- switched directly from aluminum into graphite. I only first played with wood about 10 years ago at the Philadelphia Cricket Club, and it was a real eye-opener!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 07:16 AM   #50
country flag Robert1

Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light
Bandabou, it is a fact that Monica's game would still easily match the game of the Williams if she was more mobile. "Monica has the best shots in the game and the others are lucky that she is not quicker", that was said be Heinz Günthard a few years back and it's right. It's a fact... And Graf became ahead in h2h after the stabbing - when Monica was simply not as fit anymore as she used to be. That's not an excuse and I wish so much Monica would have done better in that area but she simply didn't or couldn't, I don't know, fact is, she has never been as quick and nimble again as she used to be.

Irma: Many players of the new generation adored Monica's game, they saw her win all those French Opens and the US Open in 91 especially, players like the Williamses and Kournikova have lots of respect for Monica and I think they try to copy her style in areas of their game. Of course they cannot change a 1handed forehand into a 2handed one.

Alfa: I know that you like to block out periods of your fave, we all know... what was it the other day ? "Graf wasn't ready to play Monica in Melbourne 99"...
Robert1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #51
country flag daze11

There has GOT to be a "Seles/Graf: Who Gives a Shit?" chat thread somewhere. Margaret Court was better than them both, so whose got more great 'MC wisdom'...there, that'll update her into today's lingo...so we can continue this thread.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 02:30 PM   #52
country flag Robert1

Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light
did you listen, Alfa?
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 03:02 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11
There has GOT to be a "Seles/Graf: Who Gives a Shit?" chat thread somewhere. Margaret Court was better than them both, so whose got more great 'MC wisdom'...there, that'll update her into today's lingo...so we can continue this thread.
I'm inclined to agree with you- Margaret Court's record, no matter how it is dissected, bears out that she was, indeed, the greatest tennis player, male or female, of all time. No one even comes close. I'm cheering for every last ditch effort Martina Navratilova can muster our of her 47 year old body to catch up to Madge, but it's going to be tough, to say the least!

I just wish someone could convince the Rev. Court to do more tennis exhibitions on the international stage. She's obviously still very fit, and still hits socially. Even from her perspective, it might be an opportunity for her to bring her religious beliefs to the rest of the world. I know most people cringe when I say that, but if it gets her out there and playing tennis in front of the public again- I'm all for it. I grew up in a staunchly conservative, fundamental Baptist household, and learned to block all that out at a very early age. I'd go to see Margaret just to see the tennis!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou
Being fast is part of the equation and both Williamses have more than Monica ever had and can match Monica for shot-making. Can´t see her winning.
Not even on the slow Rebound Ace or slow clay she loves?
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #55
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
I'm inclined to agree with you- Margaret Court's record, no matter how it is dissected, bears out that she was, indeed, the greatest tennis player, male or female, of all time. No one even comes close. I'm cheering for every last ditch effort Martina Navratilova can muster our of her 47 year old body to catch up to Madge, but it's going to be tough, to say the least!

I just wish someone could convince the Rev. Court to do more tennis exhibitions on the international stage. She's obviously still very fit, and still hits socially. Even from her perspective, it might be an opportunity for her to bring her religious beliefs to the rest of the world. I know most people cringe when I say that, but if it gets her out there and playing tennis in front of the public again- I'm all for it. I grew up in a staunchly conservative, fundamental Baptist household, and learned to block all that out at a very early age. I'd go to see Margaret just to see the tennis!
sort of like gospel tennis?
with a gospelsong after every game and match?
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:26 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by irma
sort of like gospel tennis?
with a gospelsong after every game and match?
We could have the "Legends of Tennis Revival" with the Reverend Margaret Court leading a Billy Grahamesque crusade to revive classic tennis and standard sized racquets!

YEAUS BROTHERS AND SISTERS! TOUCH THE HEM OF MY FRED PERRY CLASSIC COLLAR WITH YOUR HANDS!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:42 PM   #57
country flag Robert1

Bandabou, Monica hits the ball cleaner than anyone else, she has the best shots. I'm not saying this, Coaches and professional players say this. It's just a fact. Her movement is not good anymore, by far not as good as before the stabbing, that's how it is - again - this is not just my personal opinion. Anyway, it's a different generation and the Williams can still prove whether they can be as succesful in their careers as a Monica Seles.

Margaret Court, wow, is there anything she didn't win? By the way, I know she never really supported the WITA tour, did she ever join the Championships (Virginia Slims, Avon)??
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:45 PM   #58
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
Not even on the slow Rebound Ace or slow clay she loves?

May be her best shot....grass and hardcourts, no chance.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:48 PM   #59
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1
Bandabou, Monica hits the ball cleaner than anyone else, she has the best shots. I'm not saying this, Coaches and professional players say this. It's just a fact. Her movement is not good anymore, by far not as good as before the stabbing, that's how it is - again - this is not just my personal opinion. Anyway, it's a different generation and the Williams can still prove whether they can be as succesful in their careers as a Monica Seles.

Margaret Court, wow, is there anything she didn't win? By the way, I know she never really supported the WITA tour, did she ever join the Championships (Virginia Slims, Avon)??
Serena´s already there, if she can win a couple of slams more....maybe add a French and Oz title, think her career-slam´s huge.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 07:43 PM   #60
country flag daze11

serena grand slam titles: 6
margaret court grand slam titles: 24

how come people who are so don't want to start a new thread? that way, you could discuss this exciting topic and others would join you who feel just as strong about it?? i am not disrespting your conversation but it belongs on a thread about that topic...and DEFINITELY NOT in the 'Blast from the Past' area.

Quote:
Robert1:
Yes, margaret Court joined the Virginia Slims tournaments; the conflicts of the original players holding out was resolved in the mid-70s.