Words of Wisdom from Margaret Court - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 14th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #31
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo
Nobody watching Bandabou? How old are you dude? When Evert, King, Connors and Borg ruled in the 1970s tennis was on NETWORK TV. And I mean weekly, not once in a blue moon like now. Hell, I remember times when it was on more than one network at the same time. There was more women's tennis on TV then than now, and the courts were full of people playing.

It was called the tennis boom, and those of us around for it will tell you tennis has never been as popular since.

P.S.
I think today's stars would do just fine with wood-so don't take our comments as some kind of assault on the Williams sisters. Capriati is my fav, but she the tactical variety of a mechanical slingshot.
I hope Margaret shares your view about the last part of your post too, because somehow I don´t think she does....or it doesn´t sound like it from the way she speaks.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
17 majors:5255

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 14th, 2004, 05:28 PM   #32
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold
Bandabou, i don't think Margaret Court doesn't see that today's players have enormous talent; you'd have to be blind not to see it. Since the tennis boom, more and more 'potential' tennis players have been drawn to the sport who may otherwise have gone toward skiing and, or god forbid, softball. As Father Williams said of hs girls, "I saw Chris Evert win 100,000 for a tournament and i brought my girls out to the tennis court that day." Today's players were all very inspired by what they saw in yesterday's players.

Court's objection (and some of ours) is that we are not being allowed to find out just how talented they may be! If the current technology makes it so easy to one-two punch your way to victory, you never get stretched to have to use alternative ways of winning...using a lob, drop-shotting, having to endure 20 rallies back and forth to see whose concentration will crack first. that's a lot more pressure on the player than hitting 3 balls and going for a winner; point over, win or lose, but its all very quick. So she would love to see, what is clearly a remarkable field of talented players, get tested FURTHER by not having it so easy with the racquets. It's not like having training wheels on a bicycle, but it is somewhere in that direction.

I am upset sometimes when I see today's matches because I feel I'm being robbed of seeing how far the players would have to dig for their talent, and that's when they would surprise us with what they come up with! It would be so much more of a struggle, not that they are not struggling as it is. But it would just be different.

the other issue is that this style of play is SO power-heavy, it is taking its toll on the player's bodies...it will shorten their careers, they will grow into their post-tennis lives with injuries, and it is the reason we don't have the full-on rivalries..this never used to happen. Sure, someone would get injured once in a while, but not often, and certainly not so MANY players, so OFTEN. This is not only questionable, therefore, for the quality of the tennis we see, but for these women (and the men) as people. Why should someone who was so much on the rise, like serena, get sidelined all this time? It's not fair. It totally interrupts the flow, and its not automatic that it just comes back. certainly venus would not have lost to lisa raymond, for instance, under any kind of normal circumstances. But these racquets ARE the reason these things are happening. Too much pressure being put on our delicate human frame.

I also dont agree that the racquet companies could not make money just as they do now...there is still racquet technology in different types of wood and lighter graphite-composite racquets; plenty of competition as to how to make the best racquet...there always was that competition. They would all have to out-do each other in making the most effective racquets, with certain size and weight restrictions. It's not that big a deal.

And if we care about the dynamic nature of the sport, and we care about the people playing the sport at the top, then we have to consider whether the tools they're using is a poison to both quality and players.
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 10:49 PM   #33
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
If it is in that context, then there´s no problem....but sometimes these articles come to over me souding like: If we were playing with wood, such and such players wouldn´t be winning or they are winning just because of the racket-technology.

And that is non-sense! If you´re good enough, you´re good enough. I say to the oldies: Give those players wood and they´ll still be good.

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 06:51 AM   #34
country flag Robert1

Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light
I wonder if Williams and Capriati even know that wooden rackets ever existed.
Robert1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 11:54 AM   #35
bandabou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1
I wonder if Williams and Capriati even know that wooden rackets ever existed.
You see?! What´s that supposed to mean?!

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 05:40 PM   #36
country flag Robert1

Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light
It means that I don't have a high opinion of these players who use muscle building drugs and who produce 70 unforced errors a match. And I'm not anti-modern style of Tennis as I support Monica who is the best example for controlled aggressive play.

Last year at the Championships they distributed tickets for FREE and it wasn't sold out! They really have come a long way....
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #37
bandabou

Quote:
It means that I don't have a high opinion of these players who use muscle building drugs and who produce 70 unforced errors a match. And I'm not anti-modern style of Tennis as I support Monica who is the best example for controlled aggressive play.

Last year at the Championships they distributed tickets for FREE and it wasn't sold out! They really have come a long way....
Muscle building drugs, 70+ ufe´s?! And that coming from a Monica-fan?!

Get over it..drugs aren´t the reason Monica isn´t on top anymore.

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:56 AM   #38
country flag Robert1

Yes, there you laugh. Have a closer look at Seles' game (let alone in her prime) and you learn what the modern game should look like. Then look at Capriati and Williams and you pu..

Capriati would probably use a wooden racket as a hash pipe.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:08 PM   #39
country flag raquel

raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Have a closer look at Seles' game (let alone in her prime) and you learn what the modern game should look like. Then look at Capriati and Williams and you pu..
If they all played like Monica it would be quite strange. Monica has an almost unique style. You say the way Monica plays is the way the modern game should look like, but in the last 5 years whose results do you think Monica would prefer - her own or Jennifer, Serena or Venus's? You might not think Venus, Serena and Jennifer's games are how the game should look but you can't deny that in the modern game, their style has been far more successful then Monica's. I think Monica's style was extremely successful before the stabbing, but with Venus and Serena, the fitness and power level in the game went up across the whole tour and Monica's style of the two hands on both sides gave her a disadvantage albeit only against the players right at the top of the game. With the power and fitness now on the tour, Monica's two handed style on both sides is a disadvantage and not what the modern game will look like anytime soon.

raquel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:32 PM   #40
country flag darren cahill

darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all darren cahill is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by raquel
If they all played like Monica it would be quite strange. Monica has an almost unique style. You say the way Monica plays is the way the modern game should look like, but in the last 5 years whose results do you think Monica would prefer - her own or Jennifer, Serena or Venus's? You might not think Venus, Serena and Jennifer's games are how the game should look but you can't deny that in the modern game, their style has been far more successful then Monica's. I think Monica's style was extremely successful before the stabbing, but with Venus and Serena, the fitness and power level in the game went up across the whole tour and Monica's style of the two hands on both sides gave her a disadvantage albeit only against the players right at the top of the game. With the power and fitness now on the tour, Monica's two handed style on both sides is a disadvantage and not what the modern game will look like anytime soon.
dont try to reason with someone who has an adolescent fixation on a player...you wont get anywhere...Monica is infallible dont you know?
darren cahill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:39 PM   #41
country flag Robert1

Raquel: Monica Seles had more success than Capriati or both Williams in her career, she's just older, she is a different generation, well, at least different than the Williamses. Her game is unique, that's why many young players try to copy it, the aggressive play, the grunting etc. But a copy is not as good as the original and the way the game went is not very interesting to watch. 50 unforced errors a match or even more.....

The 2 handed game would not be a disadvantage at all if Monica would just be quicker and more nimble - which she was before the stabbing.

As for Darren: Didn't you say you'd ignore my messages? Go ahead please.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 05:26 PM   #42
bandabou

You see Robert, you are the only one shares that view on the modern game. saying: If Monica was more mobile, this and that...is like saying if Martina didn´t hurt her ankles, shre´d still be playing. It´s part of the game....and the game of Monica just got outdated when people could match her for power and were mobile, as her h2h against Graf, the Williamses, attest.

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 05:33 PM   #43
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation
Outside the grunt people didn't copy Monica's style. You don't see many two handed on both sides players on the tour and I doubt that will change. It worked for Monica but not for others.

oh bandabou monica leads steffi in head to head 5:3 or in fact 5:0
the other matches don't excist
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #44
bandabou

Quote:
Originally Posted by irma
Outside the grunt people didn't copy Monica's style. You don't see many two handed on both sides players on the tour and I doubt that will change. It worked for Monica but not for others.

I know how much it pains your heart to say so,girl!

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 06:28 PM   #45
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by irma

I personally block out entire portions of a players' career just to make my favorite's record look better!