Could bad footwork contribute to Venus' injury - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 10th, 2004, 10:01 PM   #1
country flag for-sure

for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point
Could bad footwork contribute to Venus' injury

I got this notion while reading another thread RE:footwork. someone said that Venus often hits the ball behind her and virtually 'all over the place'. With the depth/power these 'new' girls are hitting with, could it be leading to injuries?
for-sure is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 10th, 2004, 10:05 PM   #2
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by for-sure
I got this notion while reading another thread RE:footwork. someone said that Venus often hits the ball behind her and virtually 'all over the place'. With the depth/power these 'new' girls are hitting with, could it be leading to injuries?
Martina Hingis had some of the best footwork and balanced preparation of any player in history- so did Tracy Austin. Look what happened to them with injuries. I think it all depends on the player, so I'd say no. Plus, Venus is a long, lean and lanky athlete and doesn't have to take as many steps as either Martina or Tracy, so again, I'd say no. The abdominal strain would most certainly come from serving strain, and I don't think her latest injury is all that serious, and probably from not being in match condition. Everyone's body has to be worked up into that match tough fitness level- even Venus'.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 10:10 PM   #3
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Commentators usually talk about how hitting shots "open-stance" leads to injuries. I'm beginning to wonder if that's the case for Venus, because she virtually hits open-stance on all shots. And obviously this means, she's hitting the ball behind her all the time.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 10:13 PM   #4
country flag jimbo mack

jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute jimbo mack has a reputation beyond repute
i dont think this is causing the players injuries

injuries are more common cuz the physical side of tennis is much more demading than what it was 5 years ago

injuries is something thats gonna be a normality now, something we'll jus have to get used to

meanwhile, just enjoy watching the players that are fit and look forward to the the return of players that are injured

injuries are now a normal part of tennis
jimbo mack is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 10:14 PM   #5
country flag alexusjonesfan

alexusjonesfan has a brilliant future alexusjonesfan has a brilliant future alexusjonesfan has a brilliant future alexusjonesfan has a brilliant future alexusjonesfan has a brilliant future alexusjonesfan has a brilliant future alexusjonesfan has a brilliant future alexusjonesfan has a brilliant future alexusjonesfan has a brilliant future alexusjonesfan has a brilliant future alexusjonesfan has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
Martina Hingis had some of the best footwork and balanced preparation of any player in history- so did Tracy Austin. Look what happened to them with injuries. I think it all depends on the player, so I'd say no. Plus, Venus is a long, lean and lanky athlete and doesn't have to take as many steps as either Martina or Tracy, so again, I'd say no. The abdominal strain would most certainly come from serving strain, and I don't think her latest injury is all that serious, and probably from not being in match condition. Everyone's body has to be worked up into that match tough fitness level- even Venus'.
I gotta agree with alfa here. Regardless of her stroke technique, Venus's body hasn't been in the grind of the regular tour for over 6 months. Even if you prepare fanatically before you return from such a layoff, you're going to have re-adjustment issues. Mary Pierce had similar problems last year in the indoor season where she said her body just hadn't gotten used to playing high quality matches regularly again.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 10:14 PM   #6
country flag Venus Forever
Team WTAworld

Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of Venus Forever has much to be proud of
I have a feeling she compensated for her ankle during Melbourne, which led to the leg being injured.

Good Luck: RENA, MATTEK, HAYNES, GULLICKSON, HARKLEROAD, RUBIN, GRANVILLE, LEE-WATERS, SCHNYDER, JACKSON, PERRY, KING, SUGIYAMA, PIERCE, TULYAGANOVA, IVANOVIC, KUZNETSOVA, MOLIK, DANIILIDOU, MEDINA GARRIGUES, PETROVA, PENNETTA, GOLOVIN, PEER, LI, SCHIAVONE, RAZZANO, ZVONAREVA, SPREM, SREBOTNIK, VINCI, & SAFINA
Venus Forever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 02:34 AM   #7
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by for-sure
While I disagree that Venus "often hits the ball behind her and virtually 'all over the place'", I DO agree that the way she plays could be causing injuries. She goes for winners whever she wants, from WHEREVER she wants. Surely running full speed to the right then hitting those ferocious crosscourt winners generates HUGE amounts of torque. She asks a lot of her body.

However, while that COULD be A problem, we have no data indicating it's the cause of her CURRENT injuries.

Last edited by Volcana : Feb 11th, 2004 at 03:08 AM.
Volcana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 02:37 AM   #8
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
Martina Hingis had some of the best footwork and balanced preparation of any player in history- so did Tracy Austin.
Martina Hingis's foot injury was not tennis related.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 03:46 AM   #9
country flag Jakeev

Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute Jakeev has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana
While I disagree that Venus "often hits the ball behind her and virtually 'all over the place'", I DO agree that the way she plays could be causing injuries. She goes for winners whever she wants, from WHEREVER she wants. Surely running full speed to the right then hitting those ferocious crosscourt winners generates HUGE amounts of torque. She asks a lot of her body.

However, while that COULD be A problem, we have no data indicating it's the cause of her CURRENT injuries.
But hasn't Venus and Serena too have had knee problems for years now? Never have heard that playing in an open stance position can cause injuries but both sisters seem to have been battling with knee problems even before they rose to the top.
Jakeev is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 04:52 AM   #10
oddkayla

oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold oddkayla is a splendid one to behold
I tend to agree with those who say that Venus' ankle injury in Melbourne may have been cause of all this. I think after the injury, she compensated, which resulted in an injury elsewhere in her leg.

I hope she gets a break with these injuries.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 07:11 AM   #11
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute
First of all Venus has very good foot work, where did you get the notion otherwise. Secondly it is possible that when a player favours a part of their body cause of injury, another part of the body is strained.
At this year's AO Kim was favouring her injured ankle and she said she had developed a strain in either the other thigh or wsas it back. AO 2002, venus had tendinitis in th knee and ended strainig her thigh on the good leg.
As for what causes injury, i guess we will never know, some players seem more prone to it than others.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 08:13 AM   #12
moby

moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute moby has a reputation beyond repute
umm... no, venus' footwork is awful sometimes
but she has great footspeed
which makes up for it on anywhere but perhaps clay
Love long has taken for his amulet/One perfect rose.
Why is it no one ever sent me yet/One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah no, it's always just my luck to get/One perfect rose.
moby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 08:40 AM   #13
Penne1

Penne1 is a name known to all Penne1 is a name known to all Penne1 is a name known to all Penne1 is a name known to all Penne1 is a name known to all Penne1 is a name known to all Penne1 is a name known to all Penne1 is a name known to all Penne1 is a name known to all Penne1 is a name known to all Penne1 is a name known to all
Regarding her wrist injuries I the open stance could contribute to it - she is sometimes a little cramped on the backhand side doesn't have the best extension of her arms and whilst this may not actually affect the effectiveness of the shot it surely would put unnecessary pressure on her wrists ... and the repetition ... bingo - tendonitis, a form of RSI which comes about because of repetition??