Did Martina avoid playing Steffi 1987-94 ? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 03:33 PM   #31
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
As an aside to this thread, at what point did Steffi and Martina (or any professional tennis player right throughout history- even in the days of shamateurism) pick their tournament schedules for the upcoming year?
NO, I DIDN'T GO THERE!!!! Okay, yes, I did.
Advertisement

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:03 PM   #32
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Robert, most of the journalists writing in the 60s and 70s saw the German Nationals/Open, as one of the big three European Clay Court events along with Paris and Rome but it was always #3. This was because Rome and Paris took place close to each other in the tennis year whereas the German Open was held in August, at the end of the European Clay Court season and before the US Open. It was the last major European outdoor event of the year. Because of its timing, it often lacked the top Americans who had long since returned to the US for the US Clay season and many of the other top players who went to the states to play the US GC circuit events before the US Open. It was supported by all the European clay court players and those overseas players who chose to tour Europe rather than play in the states. By the time it switched dates to before the French Open, the combined effects of the Virginia Slims tour and World team Tennis meant that many of the top stars weren't playing the European Clay Court season at all and the german Open went the way of Rome and Paris.
Martina's record in 88/9 was 3 slam finals, all lost in 3 sets from 7 events played and 1 slims final lost from 2 played. In 90/1, she had two slam finals, 1 won, from 4 events played and 1 slims final from 1 event played. IMO, there's not really much difference in her achievements in absolute terms but the fact that in 88/9 Steffi was way ahead whereas in 90/1 there were several players vying for the top changes our perception.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:34 PM   #33
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation
Maybe Nav felt better in the early nineties because the pressure was less. I mean at the end of the eighties she was number 2 and maybe wanted to topspot back badly and put pressure on herself while in the early nineties she was number 4 behind Monica,Steffi and Sabatini and I don't think she serious believed she could be number 1 again, but was still good enough to beat them!
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:48 PM   #34
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
I have a hunch you're probably right, Irma. In both 88 and 89 she was on a mission to dethrone the upstart usurper (sorry, couldn't resist that, even though I know it's not true, so don't anyone give me hassle for it ;-)) and just got on with pursuing other healthier objectives for a tennis player of 34.

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 06:01 PM   #35

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
I have a hunch you're probably right, Irma. In both 88 and 89 she was on a mission to dethrone the upstart usurper (sorry, couldn't resist that, even though I know it's not true, so don't anyone give me hassle for it ;-)) and just got on with pursuing other healthier objectives for a tennis player of 34.
Oh please! A tennis player of 47 just played in the Mixed Doubles Final of the 2004 Australian Open. She "doesn't do dairy", so I don't think I want to hear about her milking her career. She is all about her career, and I'm glad for it, because no one else from her era is nearly as active, save Billie Jean King, and we rarely see her volleying anymore. I love Martina Navratilova, but I have never been able to feel pity for her. She is a shrewd and very powerful businesswoman who has managed her career since the mid-80s beautifully. It hasn't been easy surviving the ChrisAmerica bias, that's for sure.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #36
country flag Robert1

Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light
Andy, thanks for the excellent information on the German Open. As for Navratilova she reached 1 major final in 88, and lost it. She did better in 90,91 and actually watching some of her matches on tape I believe she simply played better Tennis in the 90s. I don't see a Martina of 1988 having much of a chance vs. Seles in the 90s. Martina herself said that she was burnt out for 2 years (87,88) and except for those 2 GS victories in 87 she had really some bad results (for her standard), losing before the semis at many tourneys etc. That didn't happen anymore when King became her coach. The less pressure factor might have played a big role, too, that's a good point.
Robert1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 09:00 PM   #37
country flag Andy T

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster
Oh please! A tennis player of 47 just played in the Mixed Doubles Final of the 2004 Australian Open. She "doesn't do dairy", so I don't think I want to hear about her milking her career. She is all about her career, and I'm glad for it, because no one else from her era is nearly as active, save Billie Jean King, and we rarely see her volleying anymore. I love Martina Navratilova, but I have never been able to feel pity for her. She is a shrewd and very powerful businesswoman who has managed her career since the mid-80s beautifully. It hasn't been easy surviving the ChrisAmerica bias, that's for sure.
Hi alfa! maybe I wasn't clear; the other objectives I was suggesting were tennis ones. I think by 90 she finally admitted to herself that no way was she going to be #1 in the world again. I honestly think it took her 12-18 months to face up to that fact and largely thanks to BJK, she was able to realise that not being #1 was, in fact, OK because it didn't stop her from chasing a 9th Wimbledon and/or other objectives.

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 03:02 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
Hi alfa! maybe I wasn't clear; the other objectives I was suggesting were tennis ones. I think by 90 she finally admitted to herself that no way was she going to be #1 in the world again. I honestly think it took her 12-18 months to face up to that fact and largely thanks to BJK, she was able to realise that not being #1 was, in fact, OK because it didn't stop her from chasing a 9th Wimbledon and/or other objectives.
Oh.