Has Justine or Mauresmo ever defended a title in their careers? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 8th, 2004, 12:13 AM   #1
country flag vettipooh

vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute
Has Justine or Mauresmo ever defended a title in their careers?

I'm not sure .Need some info. I know Serena, Venus, Capriati, Lindsay and Kim all have defended a couple titles. To me, that makes them a well rounded player. I think, of current players, venus has defended the most titles.Don't know which ones Momo or justine have defended,if any.
vettipooh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 8th, 2004, 12:15 AM   #2
country flag -Sonic-
HAND SCRAPED

-Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute -Sonic- has a reputation beyond repute
There is also good things to say about constantly being able to win in new places and on different surfaces etc.
-Sonic- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 12:17 AM   #3
country flag Rtael
Team WTAworld

Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute Rtael has a reputation beyond repute
Justine has defended Berlin.

"You Worry About Your Jump Rope and Yourself!" -Coral on Battle of the Sexes 2

Running for the cliff again...
Rtael is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 12:18 AM   #4
bandabou

bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute bandabou has a reputation beyond repute
Yep....I think Berlin´s the only title Justine´s defended.
Serena Williams: Greatest African-American tennisplayer in history
18 majors:5256

Official Prince of the Royal Court
bandabou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #5
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
Justine won how many hundreds of titles last year ?

She's got great chances of defend several of them this year the way she's improving.
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 01:09 AM   #6
country flag Greenout

Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute
This is debate isn't relative to a players greatness. The ablity to
keep winning in whatever new surface or city speaks greater than
just keep hitting those certain tournaments. Some moron on BBC
brought this up saying that Justine and Amelie suck because they
haven't truly defended a tournament. Dumb debate.

Amelie and Justine kept on winning new tournaments.

Kimiko Date only played the same tournaments every year in her
career , Natalie Tauziat too. Kimiko disliked going to Europe and
her confidence wasn't high there, so she rarely played the indoor
season. Tauziat disliked and had poor hardcourt results and kept
her tournaments based in Europe. Everyone's different.

Are they lesser or greater than the
Williams Sisters? See. Dumb debate. Typical crap arguments from
the BBC website. I'm sick of the "have your say" garbage opinions.
ok..you don't like player XXXX, who cares some people do? If you
hate them and think their rubbish, don't watch them or see them
play in tournaments. End of story.
Greenout is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 05:20 AM   #7
country flag per4ever
Team WTAworld

per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of per4ever has much to be proud of
well Justine won two tournaments in 2002...she couldn't really defend much She defended one (Berlin) and didn't play the other (Linz). So she did the best she can do
per4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 06:27 AM   #8
country flag skanky~skanketta

skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute skanky~skanketta has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenout

Are they lesser or greater than the
Williams Sisters? See. Dumb debate. Typical crap arguments from
what sort of idiot is this guy anyway?serena's only defended 3 - 4 titles...so i guess she sucks too huh.

justine used to play at diff tournies. she won most of her titles last year, she this year will be the test.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 06:49 AM   #9
country flag esquímaux
Team WTAworld

esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute esquímaux has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Are they lesser or greater than the Williams Sisters? See. Dumb debate. Typical crap arguments from
Good post (to bad it won't be the end all/ be all of "crap arguents")
"恐れてはいけない. 私は最初であり, 最後である"
esquímaux is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 07:27 AM   #10
country flag Fingon

Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute Fingon has a reputation beyond repute
I don't understand how winning a tournament you have won the previous year is better than winning a tournament you haven't

especially when they don't weight how hard the draw is. Yes, some players defend titles but the fields are consistently weak, where's the merit of that?

for this idiot, it's more important to defend, let's say Filderstadt than winning the Australian Open or Wimbledon, if the player didn't win it the previous year.

I am truly amazed of the iq level of tennis commentators, I think they require to have a high level of idiocy before they can write about tennis.

Not surprised by the BBC, considering how they digged their own grave with the Blair affair, I guess intelligence and common sense is not something common there.
Fingon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 07:30 AM   #11
country flag Greenout

Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingon
I don't understand how winning a tournament you have won the previous year is better than winning a tournament you haven't

especially when they don't weight how hard the draw is. Yes, some players defend titles but the fields are consistently weak, where's the merit of that?

for this idiot, it's more important to defend, let's say Filderstadt than winning the Australian Open or Wimbledon, if the player didn't win it the previous year.

I am truly amazed of the iq level of tennis commentators, I think they require to have a high level of idiocy before they can write about tennis.

Not surprised by the BBC, considering how they digged their own grave with the Blair affair, I guess intelligence and common sense is not something common there.

Just to be fair to the BBC is was brought up in their "have your
say" section for tennis. It wasn't someone who works for the at
the BBC. The majority of people who post opinions in "have your
say" are bandwagon hoppers who are foaming their mouths
at Roger, and how great men's tennis is and will always be
compared to the ladies. Oh..these were the same people that
said Henman was going to win the AO 2004, so.......
Greenout is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 07:41 AM   #12
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Some players defend a lot of their titles (Venus, Hingis etc...)

Some don't (Serena, Justine etc...)

It's not a measure of talent or how good you are, but I think it's rather a measure of personality.

Seriously! Those defend their titles are territorial. When they win somewhere, they like to come back again and again.

Whereas, others move on quickly. They think, well I've got this title before, maybe I can skip it and concentrate on winning somewhere I haven't won before.

Personally, I'm territorial too. I'd like to make somewhere my little backyard, and try to come back and be successful there time and time again.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 08:31 AM   #13
country flag hollywood7172

hollywood7172 is a splendid one to behold hollywood7172 is a splendid one to behold hollywood7172 is a splendid one to behold hollywood7172 is a splendid one to behold hollywood7172 is a splendid one to behold hollywood7172 is a splendid one to behold hollywood7172 is a splendid one to behold hollywood7172 is a splendid one to behold hollywood7172 is a splendid one to behold hollywood7172 is a splendid one to behold hollywood7172 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
If you
i totally agree. such a simple concept. unfortunately it seems too hard to grasp for a lot of TWA posters....sigh...

ana ivanovic daniela hantuchova jelena jankovic martina hingis

and... jennifer capriati !!
hollywood7172 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #14
country flag Andy T

Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute Andy T has a reputation beyond repute
Hénin's titles:
99: Antwerp
01: Brisbane, Canberra, s'Hertogenbosch
02: German Open, Linz
03: Dubai, Hilton Head, German Open, French Open, San Diego, Canadian Open, US Open, Zurich.
04: Sydney, Australian Open.

= 1 successful defence.

Mauresmo's titles:
99: Bratislava
00: Sydney
01: Paris, Nice, Amelia Island, German Open
02: Dubai, Canadian Open
03: Warsaw, Philadelphia

= 0 successful defence.

*Science without Humanity *Knowledge without Character

*Politics without Principle *Commerce without Morality

*Worship without Sacrifice
Andy T is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 08:59 AM   #15
country flag turt
Team WTAworld

turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of turt has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T
Hénin's titles:
99: Antwerp
01: Brisbane, Canberra, s'Hertogenbosch
02: German Open, Linz
03: Dubai, Hilton Head, German Open, French Open, San Diego, Canadian Open, US Open, Zurich.
04: Sydney, Australian Open.

= 1 successful defence.
Actually, she didn't really have a lot of opportunitie to defend titles:
She didn't play Antwerp 2000 (injury);
She didn't play Gold Coast and Canberra in 2002 (played Sydney instead);
She didn't play Linz in 2003 (needed some rest);

So, there was Berlin and Rosmalen that she tried to defend, and she succeeded in defending Berlin (Tier I), but had a bad loss in Rosmalen 2002 (SF against Daniilidou I think).

Now, if you ask me: Will Justine defend some titles this year? I think she'll have a few good opportunities, especially on the clay season...