What does "pronate" mean? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 10:54 PM   #1
country flag LindsayRulez

LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of
What does "pronate" mean?

Last night Mary Joe Fernandez was saying that Venus "pronates" really well on her first serve. My serve sucks, I wanna pronate too!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 10:55 PM   #2
country flag for-sure

for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point for-sure is an unknown quantity at this point
pronate (verb) : To lose often
for-sure is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 11:31 PM   #3
country flag Martian Willow
Team WTAworld

Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute Martian Willow has a reputation beyond repute
It's the snap of the wrist - ie twisting the forearm as you hit the ball.
Martian Willow is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 11:45 PM   #4
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
If you hold your hands out in front of you, it's twisting your forearms such that you end up with your palms facing downward as opposed to supiniation which is twisting them in the opposite direction.
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 11:47 PM   #5
country flag UDiTY

UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of UDiTY has much to be proud of
It's when Venus serves her flat serve out wide on the Ad court...

I think it just means she twists her arm in a way that her palm is aimed out wide, so she can hit it flat with angle.

UDiTY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 11:49 PM   #6
starr

starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future
1. transitive verb turn hand palm down: to turn the hand or forearm so that the palm faces downward

2. transitive and intransitive verb rotate foot inward: to rotate the bones of the foot so that the weight is borne mainly on the inside of the foot
starr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 12:03 AM   #7

LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of LindsayRulez has much to be proud of
Thank you, English majors! lol
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 01:00 AM   #8
country flag Nan Cu

Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice
Quote:
1. transitive verb turn hand palm down: to turn the hand or forearm so that the palm faces downward
I play tennis and this is incorrect. Watch Serena serve, and you will see pronation.

When you hit a serve, without pronation, your palm automatically faces downwards. When you pronate, your palm faces OUTWARD, meaning to the side. I'm righthanded, so if I pronate my wrist when I serve my palm will face the right side, sort of like paddling with your hand when swimming.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 01:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan Cu
I play tennis and this is incorrect. Watch Serena serve, and you will see pronation.

When you hit a serve, without pronation, your palm automatically faces downwards. When you pronate, your palm faces OUTWARD, meaning to the side. I'm righthanded, so if I pronate my wrist when I serve my palm will face the right side, sort of like paddling with your hand when swimming.
This makes the most sense to me, thanks!
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 01:15 AM   #10
country flag Nan Cu

Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice Nan Cu is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayRulez
This makes the most sense to me, thanks!
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 01:24 AM   #11
starr

starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future starr has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan Cu

Then perhaps people who are using pronate to mean the palm faces outward should look at the dictionary meaning of the word.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 01:28 AM   #12
country flag Nan Cu

Or the people who wrote the dictionary definition should take a tennis lesson or two.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 01:32 AM   #13
starr

Words mean what they mean. Playing a game doesn't make it different.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 01:49 AM   #14
country flag Nan Cu

Well next time you play tennis, pay conscious attention when hitting a serve and pronating, and you'll see where your palm is facing.

Last edited by Nan Cu : Jan 25th, 2004 at 02:29 AM.
Nan Cu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 02:06 AM   #15
country flag joegerardi

joegerardi is a glorious beacon of light joegerardi is a glorious beacon of light joegerardi is a glorious beacon of light joegerardi is a glorious beacon of light joegerardi is a glorious beacon of light joegerardi is a glorious beacon of light joegerardi is a glorious beacon of light joegerardi is a glorious beacon of light joegerardi is a glorious beacon of light joegerardi is a glorious beacon of light joegerardi is a glorious beacon of light
Nan Cu is correct. During a serve, the heel of the hand leads first, with the thumb the lowest finger. It should be pointing towards the court behind your shoulder, and the edge of the racquet should be travelling vertically. At the moment of impact, the wrist should twist outwards so that the thumb is now pointing to the sky. That, technically, is the pronation. The momentum of the hand and arm will continue, however, and the palm of the hand will face away from the body and the bat comes downwards.

The twist is there to give a little added "snap" to the ball, increase power, and create spin. Probably the easiest player to watch for this is Pete Sampras, though truth be told, he is the best to watch for anything in a serve, as his is just about technically perfect.

..Joe