Does this year's tournament feel a little different? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:26 PM   #1
country flag JennyS

JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute JennyS has a reputation beyond repute
Does this year's tournament feel a little different?

It's hard for me to truly judge this tournament since ESPN has only shown a couple matches each day. But it seems like the tournament is missing some unpredictability that it is known for. A year ago we had Jennifer go out in round 1 and Serena get pushed to the brink by Loit (Monica also lost early but it was mostly because of injury).

There have been a couple upsets, but I have a feeling we won't be seeing many players ranked outside the top 15 or 20 make the quarters in either mens or womens.

This tournament almost feels more like the US Open than the Aussie Open sofar. Maybe that extra week really helped the top players prepare more.
JennyS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:41 PM   #2
country flag VW#1

VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice VW#1 is just really nice
I agree with you Jenny. There is just something a little odd about this tournament. With the exception of Hewitt, I haven't seen or heard of any top player playing all that badly. Everyone seemes to be on their game or at least not that far off from where they should be. it will definitely make for a tough second week. I usually associate this tournament with the most upsets, especially on the women's side, but we'll see
VW#1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:18 PM   #3
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute
It is boring as hell . Only Masha keeps me watching . DOWN WITH MYSKINA!!!!!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:30 PM   #4
Ballbuster
Banned

Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point Ballbuster is an unknown quantity at this point
Aside from Venus being back.

This tournament is Whack!
Ballbuster is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:57 PM   #5
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
In a way, until Venus or Justine loses, this is an exo.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:26 PM   #6
justinDisco

justinDisco is a name known to all justinDisco is a name known to all justinDisco is a name known to all justinDisco is a name known to all justinDisco is a name known to all justinDisco is a name known to all justinDisco is a name known to all justinDisco is a name known to all justinDisco is a name known to all justinDisco is a name known to all justinDisco is a name known to all
I disagree with regards to the women's competition. Here's why: 1. Venus is back(and I'm not even a big fan of hers) 2.The top 5 seeds are cruising along which is building up some mystery-which one will falter first? and it appears there will be some excellent qf and sf matches. 3. Some lower ranked players are playing well and could potentially cause some ripples in the draw. Most notably, Aniko Kapros.
One more comment. Why do the men play best of 5 matches? If you look at the score lines of Agassi, Roddick and a few other top seeds, they are winning 6-1, 6-1, 6-1. Isn't it pretty clear by the end of the second set that they are going to win? just a thought.
justinDisco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:29 PM   #7
Kart

Kart is an unknown quantity at this point
Personally, I'm loving it.

That might be because I've been resigned to missing Monica for so long that I'm actually taking time to appreciate some other players and men's tennis .
Kart is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:37 PM   #8
country flag ~ The Leopard ~

~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute
The only difference I see was that the dramatic upset of the first round was Dementieva. I guess it's easy to forget what a great year Elena had in 2003 and how highly ranked she now is.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:12 PM   #9
country flag Greenout

Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute Greenout has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyS
It's hard for me to truly judge this tournament since ESPN has only shown a couple matches each day. But it seems like the tournament is missing some unpredictability that it is known for. A year ago we had Jennifer go out in round 1 and Serena get pushed to the brink by Loit (Monica also lost early but it was mostly because of injury).

There have been a couple upsets, but I have a feeling we won't be seeing many players ranked outside the top 15 or 20 make the quarters in either mens or womens.

This tournament almost feels more like the US Open than the Aussie Open sofar. Maybe that extra week really helped the top players prepare more.
I don't think this is a fair assumption since you've been getting
ESPN-ed coverage. I've got the real coverage and let me tell you
why it feels different. It's different because the men's matches have
been so 1-sided this year for the stars. The knock out of players
like Coria, Nadia, Ai have made the early rounds even less of
a battle.

The other reason that it may seem odd is because the American
coverage is based on Americans when in reality the event has
become the most international grand slam out of the Europe that
I have ever seen covered. You guys in back home in the USA
are only getting 1/4 of tone, mood, action of AO 2004.

The Belgians aren't billed as the Belgians anymore.The Spanish
players aren't know as the "clay courters", the Europeans aren't
lumped all together as the European players, and the Asian's aren't
just known as the Asians. Anna is rarely mentioned when talking
about Russian players anymore. Now it's the "Russian Girls!".

The new stars of the game are being promoted on local
news, in the papers, on tv as "Justine", "Juan Carlos", "Roger Federer",
"Amelie", "Kim", "Paradorn", "Marat", "Maria", "Myskina", "Ai"
and even Lindsay is always called "Lindsay" instead of
"Lindsay Davenport".

*Note Andy Roddick is not being mentioned on the first
name basis here. He's known as America's favorite "Andy Roddick"
Greenout is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:16 PM   #10
Fyndh0rnElf

Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point Fyndh0rnElf is an unknown quantity at this point
This tournament sucks compared to other ozz opens. Or maybe it's just me. I'm getting bored of tennis
Fyndh0rnElf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:46 PM   #11
country flag fammmmedspin

fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future fammmmedspin has a brilliant future
Whether you like the apparent domination of the top 5 players I suppose depends on whether you like them. whether they can produce matches you like and whether you want something new to happen. Some people will want to watch Venus overwhelm Lindsay in the final. Other people might regard this as deathly dull and will be disapointed if Momo, Myskina or Kim don't win for their first time or if Justine doesn't put on another fighting display to take the title.

Part of a more general problem (which has been there some time) is that below these 5 there is little change. Unless Sharapova, Safina, Schnyder, Lina K, Kipros (sp?)Zvonereva (or some other player who is moving upwards or returning to a more representative ranking) cause an upset it will be utterly predictable. Many of the people who should be moving up the rankings apart from these few vanished before round 3. While a 3rd round is a great achievement for many of the players who have made it this AO, and may mean future success, it also means that the list of those who ought to have been really challenging the top 10 is now depressingly short. This in turn seems to create a viscious circle - as we havn't got likely giant killers to follow and the media are tired of the usual suspects - we get less TV coverage. That means we never see the exciting matches that got some people to round 4 or even the matches where the top players might be challenged. We end up with an invisible first week and a half followed by a final which hopefully for once is better than the SF and better than either the Justine or Serena romps we have had recently.
fammmmedspin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 12:08 AM   #12
country flag harloo

harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballbuster
Aside from Venus being back.

This tournament is Whack!
EXACTLY!

harloo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 12:19 AM   #13
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute
I think being 'ESPN'd' is definitely a factor. The thing that I find worst about this is that there are so really interesting matchups coming, and I KNOW I won't see any them. I Love Venus Williams, but her early round matches are rarely entertaining. If she's playing at all well, it's non-competitive. And admit it Henin-Hardenne fans, if she hadn't taken ill, this would be target practice. Actually, it's pretty much BEEN target practice. After her first round match, she wore the same clothes to lunch. Not having had to break a sweat, there was no need to change.

Surely competitive tennis would draw better ratings. These matches don't make women's tennis look good. They make it look boring. I would much rather watch Patty Schnyder try to chop Paola Suarez into teeny little pieces. Nothing against Suarez. It's just that this is an old school tennis match. A poor girl's Chris vs BJK.

Patty vs Lisa Raymond would be better, but c'est la vie. Not this GS.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 01:54 AM   #14
country flag ~ The Leopard ~

~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute ~ The Leopard ~ has a reputation beyond repute
Singapore sounds like the place to be for good tennis coverage.