Would Anyone like Venus Williams to take over Stacey McAllister's WTA Job ? - Page 6 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 7th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #76
country flag deboraski

deboraski is a glorious beacon of light deboraski is a glorious beacon of light deboraski is a glorious beacon of light deboraski is a glorious beacon of light deboraski is a glorious beacon of light deboraski is a glorious beacon of light deboraski is a glorious beacon of light deboraski is a glorious beacon of light deboraski is a glorious beacon of light deboraski is a glorious beacon of light deboraski is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Would Anyone like Venus Williams to take over Stacey McAllister's WTA Job ?

As someone in this thread already said, she should start with being a tournament director first and after a few years maybe becoming the WTA CEO.

Brad Drewett was a player, but he spent years working for the ATP as an administrator before winning the position of CEO when the opportunity came.
deboraski is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 7th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #77
propi

propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute propi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Ivan. View Post
Fair, but your last post made it seem like there is a current player on tour that you think already has this skill/experience Venus lacks. She has also represented the players on the WTA player's council so I'm sure she has sat in meetings with plenty of tournament directors and at least has some basic understanding of what it takes to put on a tour level event.
Of course there are more players who I consider are more prepared than Venus. Venus is only 32 afterall!!!!
She has all the time before her to efectively learn the job.
Imagine any player who besides playing has been tournament manager, work in Media and involved in national or international tennis bodies... there's a nice bunch...
Du temps
"

propi is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #78
country flag RVD

RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute RVD has a reputation beyond repute

Part of what a CEO does is delegate.
Venus won't be expected to work miracles the moment she is seated.
She would need to locate the right people to fill the high-level positions, after determining if the current execs' fail/success rates. Also, Venus wouldn't need to be an expert in every aspect and facet that makes up a CEO's duties and responsibilities, as these folks would take up the slack.

I mentioned in an earlier post that this particular position isn't akin to being the CEO of NASA. However, I also wrote that whoever assumes this post would also have to adjust; regardless of their experiences. Unless, of course, if the person already has extensive tennis CEO credentials.

That said, Venus could certainly gain experience as an executive staff member first, and then transition into the CEO role.
I wouldn't suggest Venus serve as CEO immediately, unless she first retires, gains related experience, and feels comfortable with those around her.
Performing successfully as a CEO encompasses more than just the CEO performing successfully.
Those around her would need to be just as effective, if not more so. This is why many businesses fail---because high-level executives (below the CEO) fail, or perform way below expectations.

Personally, I'm torn whether she should assume the chief-executive role.
On the one hand, I think she could do a great job, since she's already taken business courses and runs her own (successful) businesses; has experience selecting the right managers for the right positions and delegating during her absences; works well with people; is respected; is well-spoken; and exudes confidence.

On the other hand, she probably wouldn't enjoy the first couple of seasons, since people will undoubtedly have unrealistic expectations of her. Many non-fans of her, such as tournament executives, will probably cite past incidents in order to manipulate mediation efforts. It's often foul and ridiculous people who she will have to deal with, and would be no bed of roses in the least.
The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people. - Geoffrey Chaucer
RVD is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote