Tennis Forum banner

Sabatini: "I lost matches to avoid media attention"

7K views 91 replies 58 participants last post by  Andy. 
#1 ·
http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013...hes-avoid-media-attention/49520/#.UmSI5BCwVOo

Former U.S. Open champion Gabriela Sabatini tells La Nacion that she was so overwhelmed by media attention when she was young that she deliberately lost matches to avoid talking to the press.

"When I was younger and thought that I had to talk after winning a tournament, I often lost in the semifinals so I did not have to. It was that bad!" Sabatini said. "I was very introverted. I had some issues at school because I was very inward-looking."

The 43-year-old Sabatini, who never eclipsed the No. 3 ranking and lost numerous matches late in Grand Slams, said her high public profile often became too much to handle.

"I think my fame and my public profile had something to do with the fact that I did not become No. 1,” she said. “To be so famous would also have been a problem if I had been No. 1.”
From the inimitable Matt Cronin.

#38 ·
I don't care what her excuse is. Throwing away matches of ANY sort is totally unsportsmanlike (or unsportswomanlike) and just showed that she's a weak bitch.

Tennis players like to blame losses on anything other than yourself. She needs to get a grip. I am furious at this comment and I am not even a fan of hers. I can't imagine what some of her fans are thinking right now

#42 ·
I don't care what her excuse is. Throwing away matches of ANY sort is totally unsportsmanlike (or unsportswomanlike) and just showed that she's a weak bitch.
Precisely! I wonder who in their right mind, now wants to claim that someone with such mentality was a better competitor for Graf than Pova & Vika for Serena.:rolleyes:

#40 ·
Add in the belief that she is lesbian, I am sure the attention was uncomfortable. But if you can't stand the heat, then why be in the mix. This is pretty lame.
I believe she lost a lot of those matches because she was just not mentally strong.

Some are called to be Great Champions and others are very good, good and decent players. To achieve greatness, you have to embrace and accept the entire package.

#53 ·
Steffi was also shy, but that didn't stop her from dominating :worship:

#64 ·
From her perspective it sort of makes sense.... She got more than enough money to live comfortably for the rest of her life (so long as she isn't the type to blow ridiculous amounts of money) and didn't have to deal with the media being up her ass all the time.

I think actors and artists do this same type of thing honestly. Get enough fame to make a decent amount of money so you can live well for the rest of your life but then drop off the radar so you aren't stalked by the media and fans.

#66 ·
Leave alone. Those who are critical of her comment don't understand how much sacrifice top pro tennis players have to make. They have no privacy. They are always being followed by the camera and microphone. I feel a pity for them. So I believe what Gabby said is true and I support her courage and honesty to talk like it is. Honesty rules! I believe she lost some of the matches she lost on purpose. I think she lost all the matches she lost to players she shouldn't have deliberately. Of course they don't include her losses to Graf, Naveratilova and Seles.

#75 ·
:lol: Graf.

#77 ·
It is so funny that Gaby gets attacked by this "headline" which is not true, and assume she tanked so many matches apparently, when she was considered always very professional by her peers as well.

Even more funny that fans of some player that is "now" dedicated to the game used to tank delibarelty a lot of her non grand slam tournaments around 2008-2009, now are the judges in this case. :lol: :tape:

Reactions: wayitis
#85 ·
And she was only 16.

L-O-L

Everyone... do yourselves a favor and read that linked article. Write like that today about a 16 year old and people will call you a pedophile (a misuse of the word, but the point is that ogling a 16 year old girl like that is hardly professional behavior).

#87 ·
Maybe she believes it, doesn't mean it is true. Sometimes after the fact you can convince yourself of things like this.

Like I said, Steffi was shy too but she won AND won AND won. And kept her speeches quick. It's not hard.

#88 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.