1986 - Page 86 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 8th, 2015, 10:55 AM   #1276
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future
Re: 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanaFanGA View Post

Judy Nelson, of all people, mentioned this in her book praising Hana for being so brave. And it did cost Hana dearly, as she already had bad relations with both Helena Sukova and her father, the Czech Tennis Fed head, Cyril Suk. To punish Hana, the Czechs concocted a new ranking system that combined singles and doubles results which was enough to make Helena their new #1 player. The state press' coverage of Hana turned very sour downplaying Hana's successes in favor of Helena. All of this was absurd as, at that point, Helena had only beaten Hana once out of nine tries.
I think Hana in her autobiography also mentioned that Helena elected not to stay in the team hotel during this week and stayed at her home which distanced Helena from the team.

Helena seemed to be a strange sort with her fellow countrywomen. She had a tumultuous relationship with Jana Novotna. Dumping her as a doubles partner, for what Helena said was bad behaviour on court, whereas Jana felt it was jealously that her singles results were progressively getting better than Helena's. There was also a few ties in which they played on the same team in FC but refused to play doubles with each other. They lost a decisive FC doubles rubber to Australia in 1992 because of this.
Advertisement

Old Apr 8th, 2015, 03:43 PM   #1277
country flag HanaFanGA

HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubelle View Post
I think Hana in her autobiography also mentioned that Helena elected not to stay in the team hotel during this week and stayed at her home which distanced Helena from the team.

Helena seemed to be a strange sort with her fellow countrywomen. She had a tumultuous relationship with Jana Novotna. Dumping her as a doubles partner, for what Helena said was bad behaviour on court, whereas Jana felt it was jealously that her singles results were progressively getting better than Helena's. There was also a few ties in which they played on the same team in FC but refused to play doubles with each other. They lost a decisive FC doubles rubber to Australia in 1992 because of this.

I'm sure you read, in her book, where Hana flew to Chile with Virginia Wade to play in an exhibition. The only problem there is that Chile was on the list of countries that Czechs were banned from visiting. She got into a lot of trouble with Cyril Suk over that. The Czechs always felt that they had given Hana "the kitchen sink" yet she still felt the need to bend the rules.

You can see where when other Czech players had their troubles with Cyril, this could carry over into their relations with Helena. She is kind of in a no win situation there.

As with Sanchez, Helena's doubles partnerships always ended kind of messily, including with each other. I don't know why that is, but I suspect it's not a coincidence. Though I've seen where Helena had good relations with other players like Martina, Steffi, Gaby, and Pam.

Hana and Helena eventually reconciled. There are some pics of Hana as Helena's Fed Cup and Olympic coach in 1996. Today, they are pictured together frequently at various reunions looking very friendly. Like most players, I think when they retire and move on to different lives they tend to lay down their swords.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 03:59 PM   #1278
country flag HanaFanGA

HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold HanaFanGA is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Anthropic View Post
Mandlikova Upset by Call, Gives Up, Loses to Shriver
November 21, 1986
United Press International
Los Angeles Times

NEW YORK — Pam Shriver, taking full advantage of an opponent who felt she was being cheated and so gave up in disgust, won 12 of the final 14 games Thursday night to upset Hana Mandlikova, 4-6, 7-5, 6-1, and earn a berth in the semifinals of the $1-million Virginia Slims championships.

Martina Navratilova followed with a routine 6-2, 6-4 victory over Bettina Bunge, running her winning streak since early June to 51 matches. The defending champion, who is seeded No. 1, will meet Shriver in the semifinals, and Navratilova has won her last 19 matches against her doubles partner.

Mandlikova appeared well in control when she led, 4-1 and 5-3, in the second set, but she finally lost her cool following a series of calls that went against her. Mandlikova, seeded third, held service to open the final set but offered only token resistance as Shriver swept the final six games with the loss of six points.

In a statement, Mandlikova said: "I've played a hundred matches and I've never been cheated like this before. I don't want to take anything away from Pam. I was playing my best tennis at the beginning and I felt I was being cheated. I can fight to a certain moment, but then it's too much."

The single call that unsettled Mandlikova occurred when she was serving for the match at 5-3 in the second set. A forehand volley that appeared to hit the line was called out, allowing Shriver to complete the break and get back on service.

Jumping on the opportunity, Shriver took the next three games with the loss of three points to even the match.

Shriver admitted later that Mandlikova's disputed shot was good but added that all players have to expect bad calls.

"She lost all heart after that," the fifth-seeded Shriver said. "Things like that you just have to put out of your mind. I'm not going to give it to her, but I felt badly."

Asked what she said to Mandlikova when the match was over, Shriver answered, "I said, 'I'm sorry.' I'm not sorry that I won, but I'm sorry that she felt she got the bad call and I was sorry she didn't put up an effort the way she did in Chicago (when Mandlikova won)."

This one definitely goes down as one of Hana's most infamous episodes. But unlike most others, Betty Stove and others who didn't normally indulge Hana in her outbursts, took her side on this one.

I don't blame Pam at all. If you've ever observed Pam up close, she has a general policy of never giving a point away. Even with Martina, who could be very generous with giving away calls out of fairness, the players just know that Pam is going to go by the calls. So everyone knew that Pam wasn't going to give that point away.

But it wasn't just that one call, it was a series of calls and over rules going against the same player. It also wasn't about just this tournament, but a continuation of player complaints about the quality of officiating at this event from the previous spring. I mean, when Manuela Maleeva gets so upset that she smashes her racquet and elicits a code violation, you know something is wrong with the officiating.

At the March event, Hana had a meltdown while defeating Chris. She got robbed on a few calls which was disappointing because she actually gave away a call to Chris that gave Chris an early break point. There was a net judge in particular that felt the need to stir things up with Hana by constantly whispering to the chair umpire, who was not strong enough in handling the situation. Hana should've calmed down and asked to have that net judge removed, and the umpire should've complied. Instead, he allowed the situation to escalate to the point that Hana actually smacked a ball at the woman, not justified but still ...

After the match, the net judge actually stepped towards Hana as if to fight. I can't imagine an official doing that to Martina or Chris or anyone else for that matter. She should've just walked away like the other officials did.

All of this led to a move to professionalize officiating in womens tennis, as had already begun on the men's side. As long as humans are involved, mistakes are going to happen and, I suppose, personality clashes too. But what was happening in New York was just unbelievable at this level.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 12:00 PM   #1279
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanaFanGA View Post
I'm sure you read, in her book, where Hana flew to Chile with Virginia Wade to play in an exhibition. The only problem there is that Chile was on the list of countries that Czechs were banned from visiting. She got into a lot of trouble with Cyril Suk over that. The Czechs always felt that they had given Hana "the kitchen sink" yet she still felt the need to bend the rules.

You can see where when other Czech players had their troubles with Cyril, this could carry over into their relations with Helena. She is kind of in a no win situation there.

As with Sanchez, Helena's doubles partnerships always ended kind of messily, including with each other. I don't know why that is, but I suspect it's not a coincidence. Though I've seen where Helena had good relations with other players like Martina, Steffi, Gaby, and Pam.

Hana and Helena eventually reconciled. There are some pics of Hana as Helena's Fed Cup and Olympic coach in 1996. Today, they are pictured together frequently at various reunions looking very friendly. Like most players, I think when they retire and move on to different lives they tend to lay down their swords.
Thanks HanaFanGA.

Yes Hana's book was a good read. The trip was controversial in that Hana also cut short an IMG exhibition match with Hanika to make a connecting flight to get to Chile. So at 1 set all, Hana disappears off the court and doesn't return No one told Sylvia that hana could only play 2 sets apparently!

Glad to see there is some reconciliation between Hana and Helena. Wonder if this has occurred between Helena and Jana too.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #1280
country flag HanaFanGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubelle View Post
Thanks HanaFanGA.

Yes Hana's book was a good read. The trip was controversial in that Hana also cut short an IMG exhibition match with Hanika to make a connecting flight to get to Chile. So at 1 set all, Hana disappears off the court and doesn't return No one told Sylvia that hana could only play 2 sets apparently!

Glad to see there is some reconciliation between Hana and Helena. Wonder if this has occurred between Helena and Jana too.

Yes, I've seen some lovely pics of Jana and Helena together. Together, they made such an outstanding doubles team, complementing each other perfectly. I think that Jana was the best partner for Helena, and the same might be said of Helena for Jana.

The Monte Carlo incident with Hanika is an example of Hana being on her own and not knowing what to do. She said that she didn't trust Sylvia enough to talk to her before the match. There was good reason for this at the time because after Hana defeated Sylvia for the French title, the German tennis federation (with Sylvia's complicity) accused Hana of doping. Yeah - just look at how skinny Hana was and "doping" immediately comes to mind.

Had someone like Pam been involved in this, she would've known to have someone else, a coach or someone involved with the exhibition to say something to Hanika before hand. This match is available and it's odd watching Hana pack her things up and running off the court to get to the airport.

I also loved the part of the story where Virginia Wade did a little fibbing to the airline to get them to Chile quicker. Hana referred to her as "a resourceful woman."