Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

490K views 5K replies 229 participants last post by  jameshazza 
#1 ·
Hi everyone :wavey:

Thought maybe we could use a thread here to post all the news, interviews, and articles we find on Masha. :)

I just got my new Tennis Week magazine and Maria is on the cover again (she was also on the March cover). :eek:

If they haven't been posted already, I'll scan in the pics and article and post them here later.

#3,056 ·
^^Masha's going Hollywooooooooood. :cheer:

Maria Sharapova to Wear Tiffany Earrings at the US Open

NEW YORK, NY (August 25, 2011)

Tiffany & Co. today announced that tennis champion Maria Sharapova will wear diamond drop earrings from the new Tiffany Grace collection at the 2011 US Open, August 29–September 11, at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing, New York.

The Tiffany Grace collection features princess-cut diamonds that are bezel set in square designs and paired with round brilliant diamonds in platinum. The collection’s earrings that Ms Sharapova has selected radiate glamour with every movement, reflecting Tiffany’s heritage of legendary style.

“Tiffany diamonds sparkle in the light like no other jewelry,” Ms. Sharapova said. “It is a pleasure to wear them both on and off the court.”

The partnership between Ms. Sharapova and Tiffany & Co. covers the four Grand Slam events: the Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and the US Open. During each event, the tennis champion wears earrings from Tiffany for Maria Sharapova, a select group of earrings that is available at Tiffany & Co. stores around the world.

Tiffany & Co. operates jewelry stores and manufactures products through its subsidiary corporations. Its principal subsidiary is Tiffany and Company. The Company operates TIFFANY & CO. retail stores and boutiques in the Americas, Asia-Pacific, Japan and Europe and engages in direct selling through Internet, catalogue and business gift operations. For additional information, please visit tiffany.com.
TIFFANY & CO. and TIFFANY are trademarks of Tiffany and Company.

US$ 7,000 :oh:

#3,064 ·
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903461304576524903825415010.html

FASHION - AUGUST 27, 2011

Maria Sharapova
"The tennis champ chats about spy novels, shoes and the shot her opponents should watch out for at the U.S. Open next week"

Tennis champ Maria Sharapova is known as a tough, aggressive player. Her grunting during matches is as legendary as her signature swinging volley. When off court, she's a striking blend of steeliness and unabashed femininity. She loves high heels but also tough Rick Owens leather jackets. She loves Pippi Longstocking books and fluffy rom-coms and the challenging paintings of experimental artist Ed Moses. That mix of girliness and brass has made the Russian-born 24-year-old a favorite in the sports and fashion worlds.

Brands including Evian, Tag Heuer and Sony Ericsson have asked her to work on endorsement deals, and Cole Haan tapped her to design a line of shoes and handbags in 2009. Her ballet flats, featured in Vogue, among other fashion magazines, have become one of the brand's top-selling shoes. She also has an apparel line with Nike, Cole Haan's parent company.

Forbes recently ranked Ms. Sharapova as the world's highest-paid female athlete for the seventh straight year: She earned $25 million, double the amount of any other female athlete in the world.

But back to tennis. Once plagued by injuries and erratic playing, over the past year she has muscled her way back into the top 10. In July, she reached her first Wimbledon final since her landmark win over Serena Williams in 2004 at age 17. Last Sunday, she clinched the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati. She is now ranked fourth as she heads to the U.S. Open in New York, which begins Monday.

We caught up with Ms. Sharapova, who splits her time between homes in Sarasota, Fla., and Manhattan Beach, Calif., fresh off her on-court victory.

I much prefer heels to sneakers. As a girl, it was "Give me my great Jimmy Choos." The other girls wanted new Nikes.

Every time I go to Paris, I have to stop at the Rick Owens store and get a new jacket. I have about seven.

I have so many favorite designers. Stella McCartney is definitely on the list. Sarah Burton has done an incredible job for Alexander McQueen. I'm wearing her a lot on the red carpet. I worked with her on my ESPY Awards dress.

My favorite purchases of all time are pieces from painters Chris Gwaltney and Ed Moses. I love to collect modern art.

Recently, I've been listening to Adele a lot. I like "Someone Like You," :hearts: the emotions of it are strong, powerful. Music is a part of my life all the time—on the plane, before matches, driving out to the court.

My guilty TV pleasure is "Chelsea Lately." I love Chelsea Handler.

My swinging volley is my most dangerous shot. It's a rewarding shot. I don't know if it catches my opponents off guard but I hope it does.

The one piece of jewelry I almost never take off is my cross necklace I got from my parents when I was very young.

After a match, I go shopping if I lose. If I win, I prepare for the next match.

My favorite thing about playing in the U.S. Open is the crowd. They're always great and enthusiastic. You really feel that energy when playing.

During tournaments, I like to read something that is easy and quick. I'm a big fan of Pippi Longstocking books. I've always loved children's literature. It's feel-good reading. And I like Sherlock Holmes. I love the world of spying.

I'm terrible at other sports. I don't even try. :lol:

My favorite shampoo is Kérastase.

My favorite perfume is Stella McCartney. It's really fresh. You can wear it day and night. I like things that are practical.

The best time is when I'm around family and friends cooking or having an afternoon tea party or doing karaoke.

My favorite restaurants are Mari Vanna in New York and MB Post, a new restaurant in Manhattan Beach. Pelmenis would be my favorite dish at Mari Vanna; at MB Post, braised short ribs with pomegranate couscous.

The last purchase I made was a navy and blue Céline sweater. It's practical for everyday life.

My favorite drink is a glass of red wine or a good sangria.

The best lesson I've learned, in terms of being an athlete, is when faced with adversity keep a balance line. Whether you win a match or lose a match, in terms of your emotions, it's important to be pretty levelheaded.

#3,072 ·
This interview rocks. I love hearing about her favorites. and Russian restaurants rock. :hearts: I might go to the first one when I'm in New York.
I also love how honest and modest Maria has always been. It's something that I really look up to her for.
Also, what's up with Russians and their love of Karaoke? I swear all of them say it's their favorite thing to do. Weirdos.

#3,070 ·
Ahahahaha, I thought the same. Woooopsie. Mash, you have a contract with CLEAR! :tape: :oh:
Next: Recently, I've been listening to Adele a lot. - :hearts: I cannot stop listening to Adele, either.
The one piece of jewelry I almost never take off is my cross necklace I got from my parents when I was very young. - awwwww :hearts: bless her
My favorite restaurants are Mari Vanna in New York and MB Post - Russian restaurant, YAY!
My favorite drink is a glass of red wine or a good sangria. - :yeah:

#3,071 ·
She even has classy choice in drinks, though hideously boring. Doubt she'd like Jagebombs which is a pity because you're not allowed to hangout with me if you don't dink jagerbombs.

#3,073 ·
From US Open official site:

An Interview With: Maria Sharapova

Saturday, August 27, 2011
Print

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. How do you feel going into this tournament winning in Cincinnati? Must have given you a lot of confidence.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I came into Cincinnati, you know, asking to play a lot of matches for myself, as many as I could at that tournament. It was great to win the tournament. I beat some really good opponents, played some good matches. You know, the final was a little whacky, but I just managed to win that one. Yeah, it's great. Obviously coming into the Open it's great to have a title under your belt.

Q. How different are you this year compared to last year at the same time for the US Open?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, I'm seeded higher. I've won two titles this year. You know, I feel like my tennis is at a much better level than it was last year. Yeah, I'm a better player, definitely.

Q. How do you expect to deal with the expected hurricane in the next 24 hours? What are your plans and what are your thoughts about being here for this?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, I'm a Florida girl so I'm used to this stuff. (Laughter.) I think everyone's a bit overreacting about everything, but of course you have to take precaution and all that. But, I mean, where are we gonna go? All hundreds of us? So I just hope that our hotel is nice and tough and sturdy, you know. That's all we can do, right?

Q. What do you know about Heather Watson?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Not too much. I've never played her before. I saw a little bit of her matches in the past I think at Wimbledon her first rounds. Yeah, she's someone that's up and coming, and those are sometimes dangerous because they're quite fearless when they go on the court, don't have much to lose. It's not too often that you play an opponent you haven't played against before, so, yeah, it's not an easy first round.

Q. You had experience of that obviously at Wimbledon against another British youngster in Laura Robson.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Uh huh.

Q. Sort of a similar situation?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I guess, but they're two different players.

Q. In the (Head) advertising you were on the court with Djokovic or it's...

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah. I was there watching it happen.

Q. You always say you enjoy the process, but now that the process is paying off, where is your level of enjoyment in competing right now?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, it's a lot more enjoyable when you're winning more matches, that's for sure. Actually it's a lot easier to go out on the practice court. I mean, even when you take a few losses it's a little bit easier to shrug them off because you know you have that level. You just need maybe sometimes a little time or just a few things to click to get it back. Whereas when you haven't had it for a while, you kind of are trying to find it, trying to find it. You play one good match, and then, Do I have it now? Do I feel it? It's definitely different.

Q. Coming to a tournament now, fourth seed, obviously people think you're one of the favorites here. Do you feed off that? Does it give you confidence coming into a tournament like this? Do you feel a bit more pressure now that you've got more of an X on your back?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, I mean, to be honest, I have been seeded a lot lower and I've still been one of the favorites, so it's not anything new for me that people expect me to do well.

Q. How do you look back now on your run to the final at Wimbledon? What do you come out of that tournament with?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, I mean, my opponent played a really unbelievable match. You know, I had my chances, and it's quite important in tennis to take them. She was able to find an answer, you know, in things that I kind of challenged her with. It was a really great match for her at a big stage. That's the only way you can really look at it.

Q. She hasn't had a great summer since then. Is that pretty normal when you come off a great breakthrough win like that?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, it's not easy, that's for sure, especially after your first one, definitely. Yeah, I think she's a good enough player to find her form back here.

Q. In all the time since your shoulder problems, how would you compare how you feel now with the process which was discussed earlier? Getting over that, the surgery, everything till now, what is your feeling now compared to all the times since then?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, it's just great to still be a tennis player. I've said this many times. I'm very fortunate to do what I do, obviously, to do it at a high level and to win tournaments and to win big matches obviously. It gives you tremendous amount of confidence and delight that the work you've put in, you know, is paying off. It's the time that you spend away from the courts, the time that people don't see what you put into the sport of trying to get back there. Just to play a match, and then do it over and over again, not many people experience that feeling, see it. So to be able to prove to yourself that you've put in that work and there you are at that stage again, giving yourself these opportunities to win Grand Slams again, it's a good feeling.

Q. But your level of play now and your level of confidence, how would you compare it with all the time since your shoulder problem?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, I just feel like this year I've improved. Last year I felt like I would play a couple good matches and then I'd play a bad match. I didn't have that sense of consistency, and that's something I felt like something that has changed this year.

Q. Do you have any memories of working out with Freddy Adu at IMG?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: No.

Q. Somebody was doing something on him and said you guys might have crossed paths for a couple weeks.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I think we worked out at the same facility in Florida, but I don't think I've ever, I mean, I sure hope I wasn't doing a soccer workout.

Q. Just one of those questions we needed to ask. Were you in the city at all this morning? Could you characterize the mood here?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: This morning?

Q. Yeah.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I left pretty early. I left at 8:00 a.m., so I'm not really sure if everyone was sleeping in New York on a Saturday morning or if it's the hurricane effect. But it was pretty quiet.

Q. You were talking about your chances and things like that. When you see the news that somebody like a Kim Clijsters is not playing, what goes through your mind? Do you feel like it opens up another alley?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I can't really think like that. I don't think that's a mindset of a winner, to be honest. You've got to be ready to face anyone at any given moment. It's obviously unfortunate that she can't come back as a defending champion. But on the other hand, you know, she is the one that has the memory of holding up that trophy last year. It's I have been in that position before. It's definitely tough, there is no doubt about it, to not be able to defend such a big title. It's sometimes the adversity that we're faced with.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2011-08-27/201108271314460991412.html

#3,074 ·
Q. How different are you this year compared to last year at the same time for the US Open?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, I'm seeded higher. I've won two titles this year. You know, I feel like my tennis is at a much better level than it was last year. Yeah, I'm a better player, definitely.
You had 2 titles going into the USO last year as well Mash :oh:

Q. You were talking about your chances and things like that. When you see the news that somebody like a Kim Clijsters is not playing, what goes through your mind? Do you feel like it opens up another alley?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I can't really think like that. I don't think that's a mindset of a winner, to be honest. You've got to be ready to face anyone at any given moment. It's obviously unfortunate that she can't come back as a defending champion. But on the other hand, you know, she is the one that has the memory of holding up that trophy last year. It's I have been in that position before. It's definitely tough, there is no doubt about it, to not be able to defend such a big title. It's sometimes the adversity that we're faced with.
:yeah:

#3,077 ·
So they interviewed Baltacha about her thoughts on Heather vs. Maria and damn she revealed some fierce stuff about their meeting in Memphis :devil:

Elena Baltacha, Watson's mentor as Britain's experienced No1, plays the American wild card Jamie Hampton on Wednesday and had a mixed time of it in Dallas last week. Burdened by serial disappointment in her career and hips that take half an hour to warm up every morning, the world No61 deals only in facts.

"It will be great for her," Baltacha said on Sunday night, "but, where she is at the moment, it would have been good for her to play her maybe in the second round at least. But it's good. She's young. You go into a match [like this] believing that you can win. You have to, especially against someone like Sharapova, because you know that she'll want to beat you love and love."

Baltacha painted a revealing picture of Sharapova, the enigmatic world No4 adored as much for her beauty as her withering forehand. On court, Sharapova is a cold-eyed killer. On the circuit, she is aloof.

"I've spoken to her," said the Ukrainian-born Baltacha, whose Russian remains valid. "I've seen her around. But she doesn't speak to many players. She does her own thing. She doesn't come into contact a lot with anyone. Everyone's shocked when she comes into the locker room, because you hardly ever see her.

"I drew her in Memphis [in the quarter-finals last year] and spoke to two or three of the girls she had played in the previous rounds. She blew them away love and one and, even then, she was annoyed that it wasn't love and love. They were having a joke in the changing room: 'She won't even give you a ball to hit in the warm‑up.' And she didn't. The first ball she hit, like, a million miles an hour. It was hilarious. I went into the first point and had not hit a ball. I'd had no warm-up, apart from serves.

"With someone like that, you have to give them no respect. You have to go in there and play your game and if it's not working, change it – but you've got to keep believing because if you're, like, 'Well, I'm going to go out and I'm going to lose,' what's the point?

"What was funny was that she didn't know I spoke Russian. So when I started shouting :'Come on' and talking in Russian she went: 'All right, OK.' Next point she hit this unbelievable drive volley – and that was it, off she went. The Russian curses came out. She didn't like it and I knew she didn't like it. [At the end] the handshake was comical. It was so good. It was perfect. Obviously she never said anything, but hopefully she thought: 'Actually, I've got to give it to her. Not a lot of people would do that.'"

#3,078 ·
Haha jealous biaatch.

We've all seen Masha practice and you can see she gives her opponents balls to hit. Especially watching from the stream when she played Huntachova at Stanford.
Then again Masha respects Huntachova cause she can actually play tennis. :oh:

#3,079 ·
Ahaha thats some good shit I remember that handshake too... guess we know why now.

#3,085 ·
what was the score? is it something like 75 63?

#3,092 ·
I do not understad what does she want to say with this:
"What was funny was that she didn't know I spoke Russian. So when I started shouting :'Come on' and talking in Russian she went: 'All right, OK.' Next point she hit this unbelievable drive volley – and that was it, off she went. The Russian curses came out. She didn't like it and I knew she didn't like it. [At the end] the handshake was comical. It was so good. It was perfect. Obviously she never said anything, but hopefully she thought: 'Actually, I've got to give it to her. Not a lot of people would do that.'"
I assume Baltacha was cursing and Maria didn't like it??? And what does the knowing she spoke or didn't speak Russian have to do with any of this? Or was Maria cursing? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.