Tennis Forum banner

Mirjana's spring 2013 campaign

57K views 1K replies 33 participants last post by  ma re 
#1 ·
In R1 of Midland, Mirjana plays Alexandra Mueller, a qualifier; she's ranked 481, with a CH ranking of 280, two and a half years ago.

This is a nice opportunity for Mirjana to pick up 18 points. Don't blow it!!! :armed:

#2 ·
I think she has played Mueller before - I believe late in 2011. I think Mirjana won that match easily on outdoor hard. I've looked at the Midland Livestream. It's not bad - for a challenger livestream. The sound is messed up though - it verberates so you hear it twice.

#3 ·
The schedule of play is out for tomorrow. MikiReturns will love this. Seed Mirjana Lucic is relegated to Court 3. Meanwhile, the immortal Qualifier - Alexandra Stevenson is second on Center Court. If you wanna watch Mirjana on Livestream, her doubles match is on Center Court tonight at 9 pm EST - about 2am in Europe.

#4 ·
Good luck to Mirjana against Mueller tomorrow; if she wins, she has Craybas and a possibly nice path onward in the event.

Of course Center Court accommodations will go to The Girl Who Invented the Wimbledon Quadruple-Curtsey. Watch carefully -- the Mother has probably arranged for a marching band, red carpet, a gospel choir, and a group of little children to simultaneously release white doves into the air the moment AS takes the court. Oh well, good luck to them all.

#6 ·
;) Woof! Mirjana and Czink beat the top seeds in dubs, 4-6 7-6(4) 11-9

Great fight! Fans will take a nice dubs result like that.

Now to get that first singles win of the year under her belt. Then hit tricky Craybas off the court, hopefully.

#9 ·
Watched the match. They were 4-6 2-5 and 6 MP'S down but came back. Mirjana played really great and she was by far the best player on court with over 10 return winners(mos from bh side). Also, she was happy and really into the match. She also had some nice volleys with touch, along with fher usual agressive volleys where she ends a point.

#11 ·
No.
First set was really close but they just couldn't break, they were 0/7 on BP's. Other team took their chance as Czink served a double fault on a break point.
Second was a total broke fest. And they were losing close games, got down 2-5 and looked like it's all over, but came back and won a couple of deuce games with a deciding point. At 5-5 30-30 Czink served 2 DF's if I'm not wrong and they got broken again, but broke back on a deciding point for 6-6. In tb they were never in danger, Mirjana served a couple of serve winners, Czink with some good volleys and Lucic return won them the set.
In third they quickly got to 5-1 with serve but Czink played bad next 6 points. Yes, you could blame Mirjana for one or two but they got 5-7 down. Some good stuff from Mirjana and then also Melinda got them to 7-8. They won next two points with good play to go 9-8. After 9-9 Czink gets them next two points.
Mirjana was quite passive last two points, she seems scared to take a volley and was letting Melinda rally from the back of the court.
Otherwise she played really good, booming return winners both cc and down the line. Served could have been better. Anyway, Czink didn't seem much into while Mirjana was enjoying. There weren't many people but they seemed to be supporting Czink/Lucic-Baroni.

#12 ·
:bounce:

#15 ·
Craybas is what, 36 or 37? She's a trouper with a lot of guile and experience and tricks up her sleeve. She knows how to win matches you think she can't possibly win. Mirjana will have to serve her bombs and play sharp first-strike tennis, basically taking Craybas off the court and out of position to construct points. Jill knows how to construct points well; Mirjana must expose Jill's age and not let her into the match. Hopefully the very nice power and authority she displayed today against Mueller will boost her resolve. THIS is the kind of form Mirjana has been capable of showing, due to her hard work off-season.

Great for her to get the year's first singles win. GL to her tomorrow. She should go out there and bully Craybas off the court.

#21 ·
I can't wait to watch the stream tomorrow. Craybas will throw junk at her but I think Mirjana can handle it. I watched the doubles on stream and she played well, she could poach more with her huge wing span, but her serve and return are very good and her volleys decent as well.

#22 ·
This is a big tournament for Mirjana. But there will be a lot of tests to past. First Craybas, surely won't be easy.
Thane probably Burdette etc. Anyway I watched girls this week and Davis is playing bad, Coco is already out. And if Mirjana was facing any of these players in US Open R1 she would win 100% sure, but it's not as easy at this smaller tournaments. She will need to focus but this is surely THE YEAR.
And this could be THE TOURNAMENT. She needs a couple of wins, she's top 70 with her tennis at the moment, I'm sure.
And this is the part of the season where she would usually be losing to everybody.

Hmm, I smell something here.

#24 ·
And this could be THE TOURNAMENT. She needs a couple of wins, she's top 70 with her tennis at the moment, I'm sure.
And this is the part of the season where she would usually be losing to everybody.

Hmm, I smell something here.
I tend to agree. I like the way she has scheduled this month -- if she wins a couple but loses here she can get another chance in qualifying for Memphis and then a key main draw opportunity in Brazil.

All is takes is one good run and, wow, if anybody is "due" on the combined basis of extra-hard work, persistence, and natural talent, it's her. I have never seen her fitter, ever, and she must know she's playing well based on how close she came to winning the Down Under matches. The domination of Mueller was a good sign.

She has got to "bring it" and now is as good a time as any. If she could get that unique spark of being in reliable form AND super-fit every week ... it would be the first time she has combined those dynamics in her career. Not even in her teenage years was she playing well + tip-top fit. She has a chance to do that, now. A fine goal.

To my mind, if she gets back to the Top 100 soon she will make the key move she's been seeking. I think it is going to be launched by one very good result, rather than lots of "okay" results.

We'll see, but she certainly knows it is within her power to actually make it happen.

Roll, lady. Take some more scalps. Take these matches away from these girls if you want them.

And be ready to punish Craybas for the junk she's going to send your way tomorrow.

#23 ·
Great win in both single & double, Miki :yeah:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.