Chris Evert Thread - Page 162 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 12th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #2416
PamShriver

PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future PamShriver has a brilliant future
Re: Chris Evert Thread

Chris was the first on record to hit 1000, though obviously not the first. She had Steve Flink who kept track of all her stats in a way I don't think many did before her. I think, as I don't think they kept track of such stats until the 1970s. The year was 1984, btw.
Advertisement

Old Jan 12th, 2015, 01:33 PM   #2417
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
With Roger Federer winning his 1000th match I remember Chris winning her 1000th at the Australian Open, can't remember which one. She played Pascal Paradis and the organisers had made a cake with 1000 candles. Chris nearly had the organisers very nervous as she dropped a set in that match. Suffice the say, the cake caught alight with so many candles and had to extinguished. I think it was in a marquee too!
LOL@ that story. Was it the wind? At any rate it blew back in her favor by the end of the event, as she won it to keep her marvelous streak of a slam a year intact!
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 01:44 PM   #2418
country flag laschutz

laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold

was evert the 1st player man or woman to reach the 1000th match win mark?...

the only players i can think of female wise that there could be there as well BEFORE? evert was perhaps margaret court?...

surely the greats of yesteryear... lenglen, wills, connolly while winning nearly all the time just didn't play that much each year, no matter how short or long their careers were...

court won alot as we all know from her career which started in what 1960 or so? to 1977 minus the year breaks from having children.. i don't know though if court played as many tournaments each year and thus won as much as evert?...

i'm sure margaret court aficionados will know this answer...it seems that margaret court (upon further research) DID IN FACT win over 1000 matches and i would guess she did it BEFORE EVERT since she retired in 1977....

so WHY THEN IS THAT NO PUBLICIZED MORE COURT BEING THE FIRST PLAYER MAN OR WOMAN TO REACH 1000 WINS? IN FACT, ACCORDING TO WIKIPEDIA COURT WON 192 TITLES??!! BEFORE AND AFTER THE OPEN ERA! why is martina navratilova considered the all time tournament victory leader then? who cares if tournaments were played and won before or after the open era?!

they should ALL COUNT because the best players before the open era (at least for the women since there was no real pro matches/exhibition tournaments, etcetera) for the women played in all the tournaments..
laschutz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 08:56 AM   #2419
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
LOL@ that story. Was it the wind? At any rate it blew back in her favor by the end of the event, as she won it to keep her marvelous streak of a slam a year intact!
It was in a marquee I think, making it quite dangerous. Just the sheer number of candles and somehow it caught alight!
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 11:10 PM   #2420
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
the only players i can think of female wise that there could be there as well BEFORE? evert was perhaps margaret court?...

surely the greats of yesteryear... lenglen, wills, connolly while winning nearly all the time just didn't play that much each year, no matter how short or long their careers were.
We have Court's match records nearly fully intact-and yes-she did win 1,000 matches well before Chris Evert.

Likewise I would bet Billie Jean King did. Virginia Wade and Ann Jones probably won over 1,000.

Going back in time Elizabeth Ryan beats any record in the match win department-We will try and put Ryan's records together this year.

The difference and the 1,000 with Evert was timing-most of her career coincided with the birth of the WTA. Someone was there to tote up the match and celebrate.

By contrast when Billie Jean reached 1,000 she probably had no idea-let alone the press!
Old Feb 1st, 2015, 04:30 AM   #2421
country flag raquel

raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute

Rollo!

Not posted in literally years but got an email from the board and now that I am up all night with my wee boy I logged in and somehow remembered my password

The reason I am posting in this thread is because I was always a 90s/00s girl watching tennis (ASV is still my fave!) but I have watched everything on chrisevertdotnet YouTube channel over the last few weeks and Chris was brilliant! I don't know how it happened, but I think it seeped into the 90s/00s era that if you didn't see her, Chris was a baseliner who was the ultimate in consistency and that was the key to her success. I think Martina was always the one from that era who got more of the legacy and accolades - and as I saw Martina in the early 90s I agreed, but Chris should be more spoken about in the Martina/Steffi/Serena terms. I'm only seeing this now but team Chris here!

I watched the Eastbourne final Martina and Chris played that Chris won 13-11 in the final set the other day and I know it was edited highlights, but that was awesome. That match needs to get on Youtube in full!

raquel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 02:51 AM   #2422
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Raquel

Your Miss Piggy avatar is Tres magnifique!

Was that the 1979 Eastbourne match where Evert saves match points? It had everything, including a drunk heckler in the stands.

Some of my favorite Evert matches are indoors. The carpet brought out how good she could be when forced to attack a bit more. She would hit 50 mph backhands til the moment was right and then BAM! hit the one much harder and angled.

her 1976 matches vs Goolagong indoors are battle royals.
Old Feb 5th, 2015, 09:59 AM   #2423
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

Yes, Evert saves a bag of match points, five or six, in the 1979 Eastbourne match, some of them with shots which landed on the line! Eek!

I do not remember the drunk heckler in the stands. There was certainly one at what I consider to be their most entertaining match, the 1981 US Open semi-finals. They were playing men's tennis, not women's tennis, in that match. There was also a heckler at the 1984 US Open finals.

I agree about the Evert v Goolagong indoor clashes of 1976, Evonne was on fire and she took Chris along for the ride!
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2015, 10:00 AM   #2424
country flag Anna4077

Anna4077 has disabled reputation

Chrissie giving a speech at Martina's wedding

Anna4077 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote