Active players that now seem old school? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 7th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #31
coolfish1103

coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute coolfish1103 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Active players that now seem old school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viennalover View Post
KDK's play style is pretty unique even in the 90s.
I mean it's not about old or new, no one plays like Kimiko taking most of the ball early and that's one of the reason why she can survive even in her 40+...
Hsieh takes balls extremely early too, but their playing style in other places are vastly different.

I think Kimiko has a very different approach to her games, whether it's serve or use of counters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Pools View Post
Su Wei Hsieh plays like her game has been specially engineered by someone with down syndrome... It's fucking hilarious to watch especially when she wins.
Down syndrome

I think playing old style actually got an advantage because some of the girls don't know how to deal with those things that they hardly ever see (such as Vinci's slice backhand).

Historic #1: FITD S / Tipping S&D / Tennis Tipping D
coolfish1103 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 7th, 2013, 07:09 AM   #32
country flag Caesar1844

Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of Caesar1844 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarkaFish View Post
Wrong.

Vinci*, Flipkens*, and Danilidou come to mind.

*although these two only slice.
Slice doesn't count, everyone slices one-handed.

Dani barely counts, give it a month and she'll be out of the top 100 again.
Caesar1844 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 07:27 AM   #33
country flag dencod16

dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute dencod16 has a reputation beyond repute

definitely Kuznetsova. But for me Mladenovic seems like 26 to me, but she is just 19/20.
dencod16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #34
country flag Remix13

Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of

I suppose every player who is neither a BB nor a pusher is presumed old-school now... That's too bad
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #35
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

MJMS's game looks absolutely Jurassic these days.
The Dawntreader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #36
country flag Cindy and Kate

Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute Cindy and Kate has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how some people confuse old school with outdated. I certainly prefer the variety and class of Vinci and Carla to the one dimensional brainless bashing game of the actual average WTA player.
Cindy and Kate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #37
country flag traralgon

traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light traralgon is a glorious beacon of light

Greta Arn
traralgon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #38
country flag kangwoo
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

kangwoo is a name known to all kangwoo is a name known to all kangwoo is a name known to all kangwoo is a name known to all kangwoo is a name known to all kangwoo is a name known to all kangwoo is a name known to all kangwoo is a name known to all kangwoo is a name known to all kangwoo is a name known to all kangwoo is a name known to all

current
top 10 - errani
top 20 - vinci

surprisingly the only active old school player era, date krumm has serve better than errani and vinci and more power...just lack of stamina whenever 3sets

KVITOVA
WIMBLEDON , YEC 2011 CHAMPION

AZARENKA
AUSTRALIAN OPEN 2012 & 2013 CHAMPION
kangwoo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 09:23 PM   #39
country flag laurie

laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute laurie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm starting to wonder what the criteria is here for old school? No one has looked at the dictating play angle.

After all, no one has mentioned Serena Williams. Bases her game on a big serve, looking to hit loads of aces, still trying to dictate play off 2nd serves. Going for winners off the ground as often as possible, prepared to go for lines more often than looking to play long extended rallies like an Azarenka. Serena's game is more akin to the great hardcourt players of the 1990s and early 2000s who played the power game. Compared to how the game is played today then that's old school isn't it? Even if Serena is number 1 again in the world.

And I would add Mona Barthel who demonstrates a desire to come to net which I haven't seen for some time. And, "shock horror" she puts slice on her forehand volleys, she has technique and not hitting it with those funky grips players use, pushing it long or swiping them out. So I would definitely say Barthel has an old school game based around her serve and net play.

http://www.classictennismatches.net/
laurie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #40
country flag Start da Game

Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute Start da Game has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie View Post
I'm starting to wonder what the criteria is here for old school? No one has looked at the dictating play angle.

After all, no one has mentioned Serena Williams. Bases her game on a big serve, looking to hit loads of aces, still trying to dictate play off 2nd serves. Going for winners off the ground as often as possible, prepared to go for lines more often than looking to play long extended rallies like an Azarenka. Serena's game is more akin to the great hardcourt players of the 1990s and early 2000s who played the power game. Compared to how the game is played today then that's old school isn't it? Even if Serena is number 1 again in the world.

And I would add Mona Barthel who demonstrates a desire to come to net which I haven't seen for some time. And, "shock horror" she puts slice on her forehand volleys, she has technique and not hitting it with those funky grips players use, pushing it long or swiping them out. So I would definitely say Barthel has an old school game based around her serve and net play.
this......barthel = perfect old school......razzano's game on the other hand is outdated, ineffective and belongs to pre-historic times......

enlighten yourself...
Start da Game is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #41
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dencod16 View Post
definitely Kuznetsova. But for me Mladenovic seems like 26 to me, but she is just 19/20.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #42
country flag kusiak

kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of kusiak has much to be proud of

What about Aga?

AGA - FUTURE SLAM CHAMP AND WORLD NUMBER ONE

SERENA WILLIAMS - GOAT
kusiak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote