Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ana Konjuh

489K views 5K replies 103 participants last post by  Meelis 
#1 ·
Born 27.12.1997
Ok guys I followed this girls developement for quite a few months now.
Last month she won the European Junior Championships, Pilzen for girls under 14.

Other success she had this year:
Winner of G16 Junior Croatia Open, Cakovec
Winner of G14 Mladost Grill Open, Zagreb
Winner of G16 Kvarner Open, Rijeka
Also reaching a G16 final in AvignonFR and a couple of SFs.

This year she has a win-loss record of 48-7 currently. With those 4 titles.
She seems to be highly talented, there´s a lot of potential, hope she´s not going to fade away and go her way.

http://www.nacional.hr/clanak/113738/ana-konjuh-vodeca-u-europi
http://www.nacional.hr/clanak/113113/ana-konjuh-europska-prvakinja

People might say it´s too early for a thread but after twinning the European Championchips I though she would deserve a own thread.

See less See more
#4,379 ·
I have been thinking and now that a rather extensive ITF calendar is out I though that maybe we could start discussing Ana's schedule for next year :)
Please comment :D
I thought this for the 1st few months :) Remember, as a 16 year old she will get 12 events + 2 for making 2 GS Finals and up to 4 extra for Grand Slams and Premier Mandatories (she will need to be around 220 or 230 to be able to Merited Increase her Australian Open tournament :()

1. Australian Open Qualifying
2. 50K Bangalore
3. Fed Cup

I know that is really small, but I think that planned trip to America would have been great along with maybe an Asian trip later in the year? :)

Also, if she doesn't get nominated for Fed Cup which is a possibility given Croatia's strength now (lucky guys :D) she can hang around in Australia and play the 50s :)

Anyway, with a potential 18 Tournaments, Ana can virtually play a full schedule next year if she wanted :)

#4,380 ·
Well, that all sounds great, but I can't stop worrying about her elbow and how it will hold up. I guess this upcoming event will tell us something more. She was injured before JLT, played some matches then got injured again in Limoges... doesn't sound nice to say the least. But yes, if she stays healthy she can play a lot and you have good ideas, but I'm not sure she won't get called into FC team cause we're not as strong now as we seem - a lot of our players are struggling to find form lately.

#4,383 ·
^I agree. Priority number one should be playing matches and gaining experience at the professional level to improve her game. Priority number two should be staying healthy, which I've been worried about for awhile now...

#4,387 ·
Ana's P1 for the week of Nov. 11th is Dubai 75k :hearts: It's an outdoor hardcourt event, which should make her feel more comfortable than these indoor tournaments, so a smart move IMO. Currently she is 30th alternate, so it's only reasonable to expect a quali placement here.

#4,388 ·
She plays well in the dryer conditions so hopefully a good result then :) Why isn't she having surgery though... It's more important that she can satisfy all health issues :) Anyway, is it confirmed she was injured against Kalinina or did she just have a bad day?

Could have done well in Poitiers and played some good players :) :(

Still loving her "upps... someone was pissed" comment :haha: Shame she doesn't like school :(

#4,391 ·
If she only plays these two events by the end of the year she needs two QF's to make that (roughly) 235 which would pretty much guarantee AO QD - a tough task given the circumstances, but you never know, we might be in for a surprise (wouldn't be the first time from Ana) :)

#4,394 ·
Yes, she can use a WC, but she is limited with the number of WC's she can receive in a year so it would be a shame (sort of) to have to waste one if she can get in on her own terms. But anyway, I think Melbourne q-list will be quite generous (as always) and that she won't have a problem getting in based on her ranking. This year the last direct acceptance was Akiko Omae who, at the time, was #275, and one of the previous years players ranked even below 300 entered the qualies directly.

#4,398 ·
Yes, with her name on lists for two consecutive events, you'd think she feels OK. Also, I hope she is not bothered with any health problems for these two tournaments, cause looking at the ITF calendar I can't imagine her showing up on any more entry lists this year - all the remaining events are either small, played far away or on an awkward surface. One exception is an indoor 50k in (I think) Ankara in mid December, but I doubt she'd go there for one tournament. Maybe only if she really wants to pick up points.

#4,402 ·
A great photo, might prove very important one day if they all make it big (fingers crossed).

Anyway, looks like qualies are in order for Ana after all. Not a disaster by any means, of course. She is still 10th on the quali list and the sign-in deadline for qualies is Friday afternoon.

#4,405 ·
You have some insider's info on that or just speculating, if I may ask? Wouldn't surprise me to see it happen cause our players seem to have some good connection over in UAE, cause I remember some of them getting WC's in the previous years. Although I wouldn't mind a WCQ either in case Ana is not high enough on the list to make it in, at least it would give her some additional match practice and the quali draw in Dubai will probably be strong enough for her to face a good challenge anyway.

#4,415 ·
50k Istanbul Q:
(2)Ana Konjuh (CRO) v BYE
Gabriela Talaba (ROU) v Nina Zander (GER)
Melis Bayraktaroglu (TUR) v Irem Talya Koken (TUR)
(5)Laura-Ioana Andrei (ROU) v BYE
Zander could be dangerous - defeated Hlavackova in Limoges and made quarters there (despite Andrea's singles form this year that's some accomplishment).

#4,416 ·
Oh good, I was actually hoping for a quali spot as she does need matches considering the form, and this way she won't have to play anyone from the top 300 for the first two matches - great to get some rhythm going before facing the top 200's.

A step at a time and no looking ahead this time from me. Good luck Ana :)

P. S. I hope the organizers continue the nice tradition of Turkish events and provide some streaming...:D

#4,418 ·
In QR2 Ana plays Zander and, on paper at least, she looks like the favorite. Zander is a 23 y.o who's never made it past #362 and won just one 10k in all of her career (two years ago). In QR1 here she beat Talaba (currently #1000) 6:2, 6:4. The only tiny problem is that this title of her's came on an indoor event (similar to this one in Istanbul), and considering Ana's form lately this could be a tricky match. It's scheduled as the first one of the day on it's court, starts at 13:00 CET.

Good luck Ana ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.