Tennis Forum banner

Allez Aravane 2012!

21K views 329 replies 20 participants last post by  David 11 
#1 ·
May as well get 2012 started off on the right foot. Aravane shut down 2011 early after suffering from a virus in Tokyo, but according to reports she's been working hard with her coach and fitness trainer in the U.S. preparing for the new season.

Allez Aravane! May 2012 bring much success, fame and good fortune to you!

:inlove:

See less See more
#231 ·
It's really hot here during the day in the summer time. In order to get through the men's tournament that has been here since 1969, plus the addition of the women this year, they added 5 practice courts, an additional grandstand court, and women's locker facilities. As a volunteer here, we take great pride in the fact that folks can come here after work and don't have to miss a match, providing that they can get up early after the late matches.

Anyway, Aravane was very gracious after that match even though the crowd was mostly for Oudin. She stayed afterwards and posed for pictures and signed autographs. Melanie was PO's and apologized for not doing pictures or autographs as she hurried to her locker room.

#237 ·
I don't know a thing about racquets but I do know that she's been just about the most visible WTA player during the tournament with 2-a-day workouts in hot and humid conditions. It must be humbling to have been ranked as high as she is and being "reduced" to qualifying in an international level tournament when the top players are away at the olympics. If she had lost in the first round to the 14 yr old playing her first WTA event, I don't know what that would have done to her from a psychological perspective.

#238 ·
Aravane has always been a fighter and a hard worker. When she was younger,her father was his coach and taught her how to be very tough in training. She didnt have french federation help and she had to train by herself, under her car lights at night. So yes she's a fighter, she s still has to work in her fitness but she seems in the right path to make a comeback. Winning tough matchs like she does prove that she's there mentally and that's the most important.

Thank you for the pics;)

#239 · (Edited)
She's playing with the 2012 "Roland Garros" version of the Babolat Aero Pro Drive. Same racquet, different paint.

As for hard work, as majcpw noted, Aravane is not averse to it. She works as hard as anyone. An athlete who would wear black to train and play in the heat of the day surely has great stamina and mental fortitude.

We need to understand what she went through with her family. As she explained to me, she was not motivated to train all last year. When you lose your family, it's easy to understand why. Each day she survives to train and play will make her stronger. Rome wasn't built in a day. Miracles won't happen overnight. She may win or lose today, and tomorrow, and the day after, but she won't quit, and it will make her tougher in the end.

#240 ·
Well I feel you guys, I mean, it's so difficult to see your favorite player going down this way and not finding her way back that quickly. Lived it with Maria at a totally different level for sure, but still. I am sure Aravane will sort it out, she's so talented, and at her peak, I can't see any player hitting as hard as her ! This Madrid Final was so tense and she won it like a true champion. I hope we'll see many more from this in 2013 and why not at the end of 2012 ;)

#242 ·
Disappointing, for sure. I couldn't go tonight but I listened to the announcer while watching the stream and he mentioned how poor the field was due to the absence of players in the olympics. I had hoped that she would have gone further but, oh well... I just looked at the entries for Montreal and only one player from this tournament is in the main draw. If Coco does well here in DC, its a good bet that she will get one of the three Wild Cards there. Hopefully, Aravane qualifies for the main draw again (finger crossed)!

#249 ·
#251 ·
Bероника;21978993 said:
what a tough fight! Bravo Aravane!!

never heard of that american player.should we be concerned about her?
I would imagine, as in most cases, it's up to Aravane. So far, she has 7 aces and 2 DF through a set, which she won 6-3. So she is playing pretty well, it seems. I don't know anything about Kinard, but it isn't really hard to beat Cohen, IMHO. She's a moonball machine.

#257 ·
Aravane def Voskoboeva 6-4 3-6 6-1 :D

MD :yeah:

Highest ranked player she defeated this year. And again winning in 3 sets :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.