Tennis Forum banner

Ekaterina Makarova making waves Thread

249K views 4K replies 117 participants last post by  jimbo mack 
#1 · (Edited)
16 yr old Katya won her 2nd $10k of 2004 over the weekend :banana:
doing a Romanian clean sweep in last 3 rds including both Niculescu sisters and then beating top seed Matei 61 61 in final :bounce: :bounce:

lets hear it for lefty Katya
not many Russian south-paws players about :eek:

go Katya ;) :kiss: :kiss:
good luck :)

#3,585 ·
Nothing to report for Ekat singles wise in the Asian swing (why change the habits of a lifetime at this point:oh:) but through to SF in Beijing in doubles with Lucie H defeating Babos/Kiki 6-4 2-6 10-5.:clap2:

Decent number of fans there for the match on Moon Court too which was nice to see.

Wonder what Lucie H's plans are for next year?

I read some suggestions earlier in the season she was considering retirement but have no idea how accurate they are.

#3,586 ·
Disappointing end to her singles season in home tournament in Moscow.
She lost to qualifier Jabeur in round 1 16 26 :sad:

#3,588 ·
New season, new chances. Katya will play in Melbourne in first round against Katie Boulter. Good luck, Katya :yeah:

#3,590 ·
AO Round 1

Katie Boulter def Katya 6-0 4-6 7-6 (10-6)

Katya looked really rusty in the first set.Played better in the next two.Thought she might come back in the 10 point tiebreak like she and Lena have done so many times in the doubles must wasn't to be. Looked fit enough though in what was a pretty gruelling match.Still in the doubles draw with Lucie H so chance for some wins there hopefully.

#3,603 ·
Seems Katya will announce her retirement at St. Petersburg tournament. Not a big surprise she seemed quite dubious about the comeback in the last interview I read - though ever with Katya she wasn't giving that much away.:LOL:

Sad will miss seeing her at Eastbourne (losing mostly when I was there I never brought her any luck). Though did get to see her win quite a few matches as part of the Dream Team with Lena. Think the slim chances of a comeback there also just got even slimmer.

But good luck to Katya - hope she enjoys her retirement.(y)(y)(y)

#3,604 ·
I watched a lot of her career. I remember Eastbourne well. The Olympic Gold, Wimbledon title, NYC titles in doubles and mixed, and reached a singles SF against Serena. And AO semifinal also in singles, and 2 AO SF wins in doubles. World #1 in doubles. A career to be proud of!

Reactions: Phenomareva
#3,605 ·

#3,607 · (Edited)
Google Translate
"There is a myth that I retired from sports due to injury. This is not true. I played with an injury for 5 years, won many tournaments and won the Olympics. It did not stop me from playing, and it did not affect my departure. I do not regret my decision at all. There are a lot of interesting things in life, and I continue to go towards my other goals."

Rectangle Font Technology Screenshot Number

katemakarova1 Instagram Oct 12 2021​

#3,608 ·
I was hoping this might have been a comeback announcement..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.