Green Strawberries: the British Juniors thread - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 21st, 2014, 07:19 PM   #16
country flag pesto

pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of
Re: Green Strawberries: the British Juniors thread

What is the tournament? I noticed the scores when I was looking for the WTA tournament scores. Freya won 6-2 in the third. Maia lost a bagel first set, but is up 2-0 in the second.
pesto is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 21st, 2014, 10:04 PM   #17
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
What is the tournament? I noticed the scores when I was looking for the WTA tournament scores. Freya won 6-2 in the third. Maia lost a bagel first set, but is up 2-0 in the second.
Maureen Connolly Trophy, a match between British and American girls. In recent years it's been annual, taking place during either Eastborne or New Haven.
Embittered is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2014, 10:30 PM   #18
country flag pesto

pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of pesto has much to be proud of

Thanks.
Old Aug 21st, 2014, 11:51 PM   #19
country flag Dawson.

Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute Dawson. has a reputation beyond repute

Green Strawberries! Love it!

Great day for 3 out of 4 today. Lumsden seemed to be the most promising of the bunch a few years back but she's definitely been overtaken. Hopefully that'll only motivate her.

... for some reason.
Dawson. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 01:28 AM   #20
country flag *hingis_forever*

*hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future *hingis_forever* has a brilliant future

To be honest, after watching her play against Michaela Gordon at Wimbledon, I was a little underwhelmed. She was easily overpowered, but when she had time on the forehand it was quite good. The serve is a major weakness. I know she's only 16, but she's got such a slight frame, even for her age. If she gets stronger I'd like a chance to see her play again.

*hingis_forever* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 07:37 PM   #21
country flag pesto

What is the format of the competition? 4 girls on each team by the look of it. Do they each play all members of the opposite team?
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 08:44 PM   #22
country flag Embittered

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
What is the format of the competition? 4 girls on each team by the look of it. Do they each play all members of the opposite team?
I was going to say they make it up as they go along, but it seems not: http://www.mcbtennis.org/UserFiles/d...ng%20teams.pdf

Quote:
The teams will play a total of 12 matches – eight singles
and four doubles – over
Thursday and Friday.
Via http://www.lta.org.uk/News/2014/Augu...lenge-Trophy1/ then http://www.mcbtennis.org/MaureenConn...Trophy_66.aspx. The first link has some photos of the girls in a different order.
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 09:44 PM   #23
country flag pesto

That Bermuda pic. A bit of googling shows it must be from 2000. Anne and Elena...

http://www.collegeandjuniortennis.co...hallenge00.htm

In the current format, each girl plays two singles and two doubles.

So the doubles should be straightforward, two teams from each country can play both teams from the other country

But since each girl only plays two singles matches, I wonder how they decide who plays who.

Looks like all our girls won their singles today, and we were already 4-2 up. So a successful campaign by the looks of it.
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 05:18 PM   #24
country flag Thetraveller3

Thetraveller3 is an unknown quantity at this point

They nominate 1 to 4 and then 1&2 play 2&1, 3&4 play 4&3 and then reverse on second day. GB order appears to have been Taylor, swan, Christie, lumsden.
Thetraveller3 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 06:51 PM   #25
country flag pesto

Thanks.
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #26
country flag nimble kitty

nimble kitty is a glorious beacon of light nimble kitty is a glorious beacon of light nimble kitty is a glorious beacon of light nimble kitty is a glorious beacon of light nimble kitty is a glorious beacon of light nimble kitty is a glorious beacon of light nimble kitty is a glorious beacon of light nimble kitty is a glorious beacon of light nimble kitty is a glorious beacon of light nimble kitty is a glorious beacon of light nimble kitty is a glorious beacon of light

I wonder why the US put forward such a weak team this year. Looking at last year's edition there team was much stronger. http://www.lta.org.uk/NewWebsite/LTA...0Scorecard.pdf

Very good wins over Townsend and Chirico for Katy and the other K - Katie also had a nice win over Chirico and pushed Townsend in two tight sets. Izzy narrowly lost to Jamie Loeb and Gabi had a tough tussle with Black losing in the third.

Has anyone seen Freya Christie play before? Judging by this picture she seems quite tall.

nimble kitty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 05:36 PM   #27
country flag Embittered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimble kitty View Post
I wonder why the US put forward such a weak team this year. Looking at last year's edition there team was much stronger. http://www.lta.org.uk/NewWebsite/LTA...0Scorecard.pdf

Very good wins over Townsend and Chirico for Katy and the other K - Katie also had a nice win over Chirico and pushed Townsend in two tight sets. Izzy narrowly lost to Jamie Loeb and Gabi had a tough tussle with Black losing in the third.

Has anyone seen Freya Christie play before? Judging by this picture she seems quite tall.
Bellis and Gordon were more concerned with the open section of the USO (Bellis, preparing, Gordon, pre-qualies). There was a G1 at College Park at the same time. American second or third string is usually at least competitive with GB.

Not seen Freya in the flesh; must have seen her playing doubles on the telly but evidently her playing style didn't make a big impression. (Don't trust the stats. I can't believe the winning team never either won or lost a point on their own merit once the rally had started. The stats only relate to the first two strokes of the rally in any case.)