Tennis Forum banner

Melanie Oudin

323K views 5K replies 136 participants last post by  rucolo 
#1 ·
I think it's about time that Mel got her own thread. She's playing her way through the Australian Open Qualifying rounds right now. She is into the final rounds with a 7-5 7-5 win yesterday over Catalina Castano.

#2,562 ·
Simmonds match recap:

Match of the day

The day’s most compelling match came in the quarterfinal round of singles (both the second round and quarterfinal round were played on Friday), as Melanie Oudin rallied to defeat South Africa’s Chanel Simmonds in three sets, 2-6, 6-3, 6-3. It was the second three-setter of the day for Simmonds, who knocked off Israel’s Julia Glushko, 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 (2) earlier in the day. Simmonds admitted afterwards that she ran out of gas down the stretch.

“I think I was a bit tired from my first match [Friday] morning,” she said, adding that Oudin figured her out strategy-wise as the match wore on.

Oudin said that making the switch from the style of play between the left-handed Simmonds and her first opponent of the day (Camila Giorgi) was a tough transition.

“They play completely opposite,” said Oudin, “so I think it took me a set to get used to her game... she mixes up the pace really well.”

Oudin took the last four games of the match after trailing 3-2 in the deciding set.

#2,570 ·
This afternoon, tournament organizers will get a dream finals match when top-seeded Irina Falconi and Melanie Oudin square off. In Saturday’s semifinals, Oudin defeated Julia Cohen, 6-2, 6-4, while Falconi fended off a pesky Coco Vandeweghe in three sets.

“The nice thing about the finals is that it will be two Americans,” said Boar’s Head Pro Tournament Director Ron “Thrilla” Manilla. “To have Oudin and Falconi is just wonderful for U.S.A. tennis.”

Oudin won the 2011 U.S. Open mixed doubles title with Jack Sock, but most tennis fans will remember her from the 2009 Open when she made a surprising run to the semifinals as a 17-year-old wild card, upsetting Maria Sharapova on the way.

Oudin got off to a fast start against Cohen, winning the first set in convincing fashion. The Georgia native then broke Cohen in the first game of the second set. Oudin was leading 2-1 when rain forced roughly a three-hour delay.

“Oudin played extremely well,” Manilla said. “Her focus and shot selection was really, really good. It was impressive to watch her play.”

Cohen, who was coming off an impressive win over Michelle Larcher de Brito (a finalist in last year’s tournament) on Friday, put forth a game effort. One court-side observer compared Cohen to Sylvester Stallone’s “Rocky” character.

“She’s a fighter right until the end — she’ll never go away,” Manilla said. “She could be down or it’s really intense, but she’s doing shadow strokes back near the fence to stay focused and motivated. Her will and her passion is obvious.”
dailyprogress.com

#2,578 ·
Awww, this tournament win for Mel has made me so incredibly happy!! This poor young woman has been on a roller coaster ride the past few years, she deserves this so much! She had been lacking so much confidence until the past month or so, and its great to see her start to "believe" a little bit more, and that lets you do so much more on a tennis court than when your holding back and not trusting yourself or your game. She has gotten sooo much shit from people on these boards, I wish her all the best in this comeback, and would love for her to grab this WC to the French

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.