Tennis Forum banner

Miami 2013: Hometown Glory?

76K views 2K replies 104 participants last post by  AnnieIWillKnow 
#1 · (Edited)
:cheer: Good luck Maria :cheer:

Is her last name Vesnina?

See less See more
#182 ·
WAAAAAAAH, I opened this thread to ask when the draw would be and it's already done. I gasped :hysteric:
Couldn't ask for a better draw, Vika-dream SF and the other 3 are easier than what Serena's got :lol:

And no live tennis until friday I see :eek:

#195 ·
Really, with this draw, anything besides at least a Semi would be a flop, and with Azarenka's "injury" she should have a great chance at another final. Whatever happens then depends on who does well on the top half. I want this IW-Miami double :hearts:

#199 ·
I really like the draw! I hope she won't meet the same players again though (Zakopalova, Kirilenko, Errani)! :eek: IW-Miami double is very difficult and I'm already so happy she won IW, so a SF showing would be great, unless Vika is her opponent! :lol:

#201 ·
Dream scenario for the WTA would be Serena/Petra, Maria/Vika. Serena seems like the biggest lock since she's so well rested. I'm assuming her ankle is back to 100% too. Petra definitely raised concerns again with that implosion against Kirilenko. But if she can somehow keep her head on straight, she can get there. She had been playing so well until that second set. Vika's prospects are all about the ankle. If it lingers, she can lose earlier than expected(or withdraw). If it's well enough, she should cruise to the semis. I think Maria's biggest worry is her mental and physical freshness after playing thoes 6 matches. None of them went the distance though, so I don't believe Maria was too taxed. And she did do the IW/Miami double as far as reaching the final last year, so stamina shouldn't be an issue this year. Barring a surprising result, Maria should be in the semis.

Now watch upsets galore happen. :lol:

#203 ·
Agree completely, although I'd swap Petra with Venus :). Lord help the WTA and its credibility if Vika shows up and plays a few rounds only to withdraw again before an anticipated match. And I watched Petra's complete collapse at IW (I showed up to the match when she was up 4-2 in the second :sobbing:), so wouldn't be surprised with another disappointing result. Aga seems to have the toughest road, and watching her lose a lot of points (and drop in rankings hopefully) will be satisfying. Would love Petra/Li to replace her at #4 soon

#204 ·
Damn, why is nobody showing up to Stuttgar?! :hysteric:. One of the things I loved the most last year was the field being so packed. Oh well, I would be happy with Maria vulturing her way to another Porsche :oh:

Also, Petra needs to rise in the rankings so she's a Top 4 seed there :eek:

#217 ·
Definitely intrigued by the potential match with Bouchard, since they're kind of friends. It will certainly be a glamorous match :lol:. Would love to see her play Kuzzy or Ana, definitely not Zako or Errani :eek:

#213 ·
Vs Bouchard :hearts: Hopefully no bagels there ;)

#216 ·
Errani needs to be added to the punchbag list ASAP :hearts:

#224 ·
Many think that Vika is a scrub on clay, but in fact she really isn't and shouldn't be underestimated at all! Na is obviously a bigger threat. I saw her live in Rome last year and she was so impressive! Definitely Maria's toughest matchup. I'm not even considering Serena anymore! I've lost hope! :sobbing:

#227 ·
I really don't think Princess is that bad at all on clay :shrug: I think people read too much into her shit performance at RG last year, but there's nothing to say that wasn't just a one-off. I mean, she played pretty decently at Stuttgart and Madrid. And prior to 2012, you could've made an argument that RG was her most successful Slam. I wouldn't be surprised to see her make a deep run at RG this year, though probably not winning it. Maria, Na and Serena are the only ones who would go into a claycourt match against Princess as favourite imo (not sure about Petra).

#229 ·
I have this evil feeling inside me wishing Maria to flop the clay courts and then win Pan Pacific Open and US Open (or Wimbledon) to turn GM into meltdown mode :tape:

Besides does anyone else here feel like Pan Pacific Open is their favorite event apart from the Slams & IW :D

#230 ·
Petra can be so good on clay if her A game is on! Her match vs Kerber in Rome was so good! Her hitting looked so effortless and powerful! Too bad she often runs out of steam and she can't keep focus too long! :hysteric: if she plays well, she should beat Vika on clay!

#232 ·
So you like it when your faves play each other? I don't. Forget about Woz, I root for her no matter who she plays. But Li vs Sharapova is a nightmare to me. Since I love both about equally as much I never know who to root for, and if I root for one I feel a bit guilty towards the other. :lol: I rather see my faves avoiding each other as much as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.