Tennis Forum banner

Sania Mirza's place

166K views 2K replies 94 participants last post by  chirag sharma 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well,I cannot believe Sania has not her own thread,so I created this one.I pleasantly discovered her at this AO in her match vs Serena.What a talented player she is!!! I wish her lots of success in her career!:D

#137 ·
there was a nice live stream and my broadband speed was enough for a decent viewing but i got the link very late. i was searching somewhere else,bWin where u need to have balance in your account. just waste of time. i could only see the last 2 games. 4-4 Sania serving. but i followed the match on live score. AnnaC won as expected. Remember she was top 10 for most of the last year and considering the fact she was playing much better than last year as everybody has said who saw the match live. but i must say Sania could have won it in straight sets if she utilized some of the countless break opportunities. many times 40-15 on Anna serve. Her first serve was good- powerful, 2nd serve the weak link as usual. forehand like before the injury. i think she will regain her peak form very soon.
Not a good sign- number of ue which she needs to cut down! but one match not enough. today she will play 2 games, doubles and singles against Szavay.
Sania was wearing something white and looking physically very strong and u get a feeling that she can always bounce back.
cant say whether she is taking drugs. :p

#139 ·
they just gave the 3rd wildcard to 17 year old Australian Sally Peers. its her WTA tour debut. they just lost Jelena Dokic from the qualifying round as she withdrew, so i guess they wanted to beef up the Aussie players in the draw, to bring in more spectators. atleast she'll be able to work on her serve in matches while playing doubles.

#142 ·
Sania just beat Agnes Szavay 6-3, 6-4.

good day for her tennis and her confidence.
i watched the end of it. may post a couple of thoughts later if anyone cares.

#144 ·
Mirza actually was good with her ground strokes today. I liked her shots from both wings and her fore hand at the match point was an eye candy. But she still has that tendency to loose her serve immediately after a service break. If she can avoid that she'll be a more dangerous opponent than now. And Szavay was hitting to her back hands most of the time:)

#149 ·
i only started watching the Sania vs. Agnes match from 6-3, 2-2, as i was watching the Hopman Cup (it went LATE) and forgot that her match had started.
but the thoughts i was going to share:
- i agree with LUVMIRZA, her groundstrokes were really good that day. her forehand looked to be back the way it was before the injury, which is great and her backhand was so much better, which was good, as Agnes kept on going to her backhand. i think she's decided that if she wants to reach the top, she can't rely on her forehand as much and she needs to have a more all-round game and she's put some effort into developing the backhand.
her serve was still patchy during the time that i watched - but it never really let her down too badly. i do think she was helped a bit that Agnes wasn't playing her best tennis, but Sania seemed to be reading play well, hitting deep balls and keeping them low, to stop Agnes from moving in to the net etc.
and i thought her court coverage was a lot better. well, she is looking really fit now-a-days and all that time on the treadmill/bike has really paid off. she wasn't just getting to the ball and hitting some terrible shot, where it didnt get back into play, but she was getting balls back and forcing agnes to play another shot.
so overall, she played a good game. and with this form (and more training) she'll make her way back to the top soon.

but i will say that it looked freezing cold! i hope she's here in Aus already, to get used to the heat.
i wish she was playing singles in Hobart, but Aus likes giving their WCs to young aussies. she's gonna need to win some matches in Melbourne, to keep her ranking 'steady'.

#151 ·
no probs.
they should make the semi-final pretty comfortably.
but i can already see them winning the doubles. the draw isn't too impressive and they've got the easiest first two rounds of anyone. schiavone will want some good wins, since she lost in the second round of qualifying.

#152 ·
Sania & Fran had a hard fought win (7-6, 6-4) over their unknown first round opponents :eek: . Their team is the worst ever, they had no big wins at all. Sania shouldnt be playing with Fran :(

#155 ·
oh well. they lost the doubles QF 7-5, 6-1.
but its no big deal. it was clearly just for getting in as much match practice before the Aus Open as is possible.
i hope she's getting a plane to Melb in the morning/a.s.a.p to get here and practice at Melb Park. needs to get used to the courts. and the heat. coz its always colder in hobart. and she just came from playing in the cold at HKG, so it would be good for her. it was very hot here the last two days, so those here already are aclimatising. and the courts change as they heat up. the ball moves faster and skids through the court. (i think that's right).
oh well, lets hope for a decent draw! and some good wins!

#157 ·
scrap that last comment.
those guys at the main draw ceremony really weren't clear. they seemed to be saying names just for the sake of saying names.
Sania is going to be playing Marta Domachowska of Poland in her first round match.
Petrova would be the possible 2nd round match up.

#158 ·
Welcome back Sania
and Good luck this year at AO. thats all i can say
Hopefully this isn't her final year of her career. I hope she learned some lessons during her long 6 month vacation. Go Dr. Sania and Dr.Ivo. I'm starting to skip tennis these days and started following NFL, NBA, Golf and other sports like Badminton. Lucky week for me so far my Baltimore Ravens are still alive and i'm hoping they beat Pittsburg Stealers and also wishing Sania to win a couple of matches or so.

I heard Jeev Milkha Singh is aiming to win a major. (almost did it at PGA Championship last year.) I hope he is fired up this year as well.

So far so good for me. ;)

#162 ·
Poor Sania, she has to face Martha in the first round:( Her ranking will go down so badly after the Australian Open:eek:
yes true.
Martha is Sania's clone. It is basically match up between hard hitting, injury prone players with weak mental games. should be a good one. But it isn't going to be on TV court unfortunately.
I like Martha. May the best win tommorow.
I can access 6 show courts from livestream.(ESPN2/ Espn 360)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.