Tennis Forum banner

Sania Mirza's place

166K views 2K replies 94 participants last post by  chirag sharma 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well,I cannot believe Sania has not her own thread,so I created this one.I pleasantly discovered her at this AO in her match vs Serena.What a talented player she is!!! I wish her lots of success in her career!:D

#78 ·
She has not been invited for the Hopman cup as i anticipated. Good sensible move from the organizers. World no 100 doesn't deserve to be there; and also every year she is spoiling Bopanna's good prospect, he cant play important tournament due to her.

#81 ·
im almost done with sania out,juju retired and Ana sucking..Hope lena can do somethign at YEC..On the other hands i started watching mens tennis :lol: Now that its kinda more even

#91 ·
Happy belated B'day Sania!

#99 ·
Sania’s main challenge is to stay injury free
-Daily Telegraph, Kolkata
-SERVE & VOLLEY Naresh Kumar

The year 2008 was ‘annus horribilis’ for Sania Mirza. Her sparkling show at the Australian Open in January with the third- round loss to Venus Williams, the No. 8 seed, was followed by a spectacular show in February in Dubai against Jelena Jankovic, now ranked No. 1 in the world.

Sania led 3-1 in the final set but could not clinch the match. The stage seemed set for a great year for Sania. She seemed poised for a break-through to the top.

Sadly, injury to her right wrist in March in Miami required surgical intervention. Since then Sania has never been the same and her ranking has plummeted from 27 to 100.

She was forced to withdraw from Rome and Roland Garros and was far from her best in Wimbledon where she tried to make a come back with a painful wrist.

In August at the Olympics she retired in the first round of singles in a flood of tears. The pain in her wrist kept reoccurring and there was talk about fresh surgery to remove the scar tissue in her wrist.

In late October, when her wrist had deteriorated to the point where she was struggling to even lift a glass of water, treatment by a physio-therapist recommended by Yuvraj Singh effected a ‘miracle cure’ in only 10 days, as reported in one of the newspapers.

It is learnt that her wrist is now pain-free and she is, in her own words, “practising and taking it one day at a time.”

The wrist is the pivot of Sania’s game. Any loss of flexibility or flinching while hitting the ball is fatal for her game.

For Sania, getting back on the circuit and then to the top echelons is akin to the Chandrayaan’s journey to the moon. It needs to happen in two stages. First one has to establish a sound orbit round the circuit and then fire the rockets.

Sania first has to start by participating and doing well in tournaments and then strive for a spot in the top 20-30 rankings. It will be a tough tortuous journey, and one wonders whether Sania’s wrist can stand up to at least four to six months of continuous play, not to mention possible reoccurrence of her earlier injuries. Perseverance, patience and lot of luck bordering on the miraculous is what Sania will need to maintain a ranking in the top 20.

At 22 years of age and with an iconic stature, flying high with Bollywood stars and possibly more than Rs 30 crores in the bank, it is difficult to avoid a subcutaneous degree of saturation.

Fame and the glamour of high living are difficult to resist, specially when the alternative is blood and sweat with no guaranteed results. With only one WTA Tour singles title — in Hyderabad in 2005 — in Sania’s pro career of five years, her global fame was linked as much to her tennis as to the novelty of watching a glamorous Asian Muslim girl with sparkling eyes and a nose ring.

She was a role model, liberating eastern women with irreverant slogans on her T-shirts. The spunk she showed in her memorable matches on Centre Courts in the Australian and US Open and at Wimbledon brought pride to Indians all over the world. In India she was gobbled up by sponsors and the media with unprecedented enthusiasm and filled the vacuum in the women’s sports world.

Now Sania’s novelty value has worn thin. Memories of the floodlit encounters on the show courts of the world are fading fast. Only good results can settle her wobbly tiara. Of paramount importance in modern tennis is to stay injury free while maintaining optimum physical fitness and keeping competitively sharp. This will be Sania’s greatest challenge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.