Tennis Forum banner

Mirjana's spring 2013 campaign

57K views 1K replies 33 participants last post by  ma re 
#1 ·
In R1 of Midland, Mirjana plays Alexandra Mueller, a qualifier; she's ranked 481, with a CH ranking of 280, two and a half years ago.

This is a nice opportunity for Mirjana to pick up 18 points. Don't blow it!!! :armed:

#167 ·
Well, she lived up to her seeding and got a couple of wins this week. Ought to have won this match. But she'll be able to try her hand indoors in Memphis.

Even so, it's failure to win these types of matches that have kept Mirjana from getting out of the 95-120 rankings stall she's been in for two and a half years.

#170 ·
Burdette deserves some credit ... The girl has game. But Mirjana completely lacked killer instinct when it was clear (beginning of set 3) that Burdette was tired, flustered, and about to fold. That's when she needed to take a little more time, be a bit more disciplined, wait for her pull-the-trigger moments. She should have been dictating on her serve games alone, particular on this "freebie" fast surface.

You could see on the look on Mirjana's face walking to the net ... She knew she blew it. She played those great games to break and hold for 4-5 and then just hit every ball to the moon. Totally flat-footed.

At least she's on the board with a couple singles wins, and she usually never wins any matches this tome of year :) ... but this tournament was hers for the taking. Or at least the final. She has got to secure some matches in the next few months. Dangerous qually draw in Memphis.

Good luck to her there.

#171 ·
I missed basically the whole match. I did see the game where she broke back at 2-5 in the third set. Mallory played a crap game there and was muttering to herself. At 4-5 that's when you have to make the server play and try to not make UEs yourself. Its sounds like she basically gave Mallory the last game.

#177 ·
1. Venus Williams (EUA)
2. Yaroslava Shvedova (CAZ)
3. Kirsten Flipkens (BEL)
4. Monica Niculescu (ROM)
5. Anabel Medina Garrigues (ESP)
6. Magdalena Rybarikova (SVK)
7. Chanelle Scheepers (AFS)
8. Annika Beck (ALE)
9. Timea Babos (HUN)
10. Camila Giorgi (ITA)
11. Galina Voskoboeva (CAZ)
12. Nina Bratchikova (RUS)
13. Stefanie Voegele (SUI)
14. Shahar Peer (ISR)
15. Melinda Czink (HUN)
16. Kristina Mladenovic (FRA)
17. Kimiko Date-Krumm (JAP)
18. Olga Puchkova (RUS)
19. Mirjana Lucic-Baroni (CRO)
20. Garbine Muguruza (ESP)
21. Jana Cepelova (SVK)
22. Tatjana Malek (GER)

I'm very surprised she won doubles. She seemed totaly empty (emotionaly the most) at the end of singles match. GL today

#176 ·
I have to agree 100%. Her game is much sharper than it has been in a while. So clear to see.

She is even doing better in the mental lapses ... The third set with Craybas was uncertain uncertain until Mirjana saw an opening and put her foot on the gas to press Craybas and close.

She could have done the same against Burdette and should have won, but she let up in her intensity and momentum that little bit at 2-1 and blinked. And let's be real ... I couldn't believe how good Burdette was on the defensive. She got some impossible balls back once Mirjana allowed her to get pumped up again.

But Mirjana is very close to a breakthrough, with this game and can work on those "intensity moments" and what to do when on opponent is begging to be finished off.

Nice result in dubs! Good for her. Hope it goes well tomorrow.

#178 ·
Mirjana played well yesterday. I did not see her so fit in ages :bounce:.

Some rallies were really great, top class heavy barrage from both girls. I have to give credit to Burdette, she seems really good player and it would be interesting to follow her development. She did not have so much power like Miki but was able to move Miki from side to side and force her to make errors.

Some of the winners from Miki were incredibly fast and deadly :devil:.

Miki should continue work on fitness and speed, her hitting zone is actually not big and if she wants to be more competitive this should be addressed since she does not have plan B.
Also she should play as much as possible in doubles, this could only make her touch more sharp - so it is great news that she is in doubles SF.

#180 ·
Very happy she made the main draw in Memphis. I was not certain she would. With her game at its current level, some hard work this coming week, and a smidge of luck, I can absolutely see her doing well in Tennessee. Nothing to be ashamed about in terms of her Midland result -- Burdette only "just" edged her. I think the big "takeaway" for her from Midland was playing 4 dominant sets (6-1 6-2 6-0 6-2) serving & returning very nicely, and really getting on board for the year. Plus doing well in dubs. Lots of tennis coming up for Mirjana and I do hope she uses this recharged spirit to seize some matches every time.

#182 ·
Oops. Right you are. That is the Brazil list. Well, she'll only need to win 2 matches to Q for Memphis' main draw, and after that ... We just have to hope for that breakthrough. But qualifying won't be easy; Mirjana will not be seeded in Memphis quallies, I guess. I'd like to see her meet an elite player early in Memphis, if she attains the main draw. A big win would really spike her confidence.

I sometimes wonder about the actual value of hoping for "good draws" for Mirjana. The draw in Midland ended up being as good as she could dream of, with all the other seeds out and only lesser ranked players remaining. But, as Ajmo noted, the dynamic at these smaller events is different than it is if she were hoping for a "good draw" at a Slam.

True. She needs really good draws at Slams more than anything, because she is more unpredictable with so-called "good draws" at little events.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.