MISS MONA B. on GRASS (WIMBLEDON!) - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 25th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #121
country flag Setsuna.
KaWOW! Leonard.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: MISS MONA B. on GRASS (WIMBLEDON!)

jalusbrian, calm the fuck down, please.

Chakvetadze Barthel Kerber Bencic Pavlyuchenkova Halep Muguruza Lottner
Setsuna. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 25th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #122
country flag tennisfreak13

tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of

No Drama. Mona was not good today. Petra was. Anyway, this was her best grass season of her carrer. Best clay season too. She is on the right way. The Schüttle/Waske arrangement seems to work and her time will come on US hardcourt. I didn't expect much from her on clay and grass, but she wasn't that bad. Only the FO loss against Parmentier was disappointing.
tennisfreak13 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 06:42 PM   #123
country flag Setsuna.
KaWOW! Leonard.

Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute Setsuna. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex59 View Post
You were prophetic, Joy, for this is what I assumed would happen, as well. Mona "lacks heart", doesn't have the drive to be competitive and be a top player. Has weapons, tho' the forehand remains tissue paper light and loopy, but she doesn't have the competitiveness and the heart to compete on the Tour and be a top player. No coaching change can make up the lack of drive from a player. Mona doesn't have it. I was hoping the Mona of Stuttgart that lit up Azarenka for 65 winners and double-digit aces would show up today. However, this is not the case. It's the Mona that lost twice to young Madison Keys in England last year, withered against Parmentier at this year's French and lost to another aggressive young'n in Svitolina in Nurnberg, while eating bagels and breadsticks from shorty Lauren Davis on 2 separate occasions. Any player with power and aggressiveness will make Mona back off, no matter the rank. Today's effort is pitiful, the lack of drive noticeable to former players, like Lindsay, who is calling this match on ESPN.
I will quote this because it explains Mona's issue accurately. She simply doesn't have it in her sadly. She has great weapons but she doesn't use them as much as she should be. She mostly plays the passive shit tennis and tries to be "consistent!" and the results of that kind of tennis are results like this to any aggressive player not only Petra. A week ago I said Camila isn't better than her. I take that back now. At least Camila uses her weapons as much as she should be and has the guts to go for every shot. She might be unwatchable for some but still that's much better than watching Mona's passive tennis. Mona wishes she had Camila's guts and drive to win.

Most likely she will just stay a decent top 80 player. Nothing more.

Old Jun 25th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #124
country flag Setsuna.
KaWOW! Leonard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortof View Post
One never knows. The point is without more fighting spirit and more aggression in her game Barthel virtually invites her opponents to play well. Her body language is just so incredibly hard to watch - she signals a total lack of urgency and tension and competitiveness.
All this. Facts.

Old Jun 25th, 2014, 06:47 PM   #125
country flag Setsuna.
KaWOW! Leonard.

I'm struggling to stay positive. Not because she loses but because she doesn't play her game at all (90% of the time).

Old Jun 25th, 2014, 07:20 PM   #126
country flag Ballbasher

Ballbasher has a reputation beyond repute Ballbasher has a reputation beyond repute Ballbasher has a reputation beyond repute Ballbasher has a reputation beyond repute Ballbasher has a reputation beyond repute Ballbasher has a reputation beyond repute Ballbasher has a reputation beyond repute Ballbasher has a reputation beyond repute Ballbasher has a reputation beyond repute Ballbasher has a reputation beyond repute Ballbasher has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw an interview with her.
She looked very relaxed and said that Kvitova served and returned too well and she couldn't take the initiative during the rallies, which is important on grass. She claimed that she wasn't nervous to play on a big stage, as she has played there before.
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 08:29 PM   #127
country flag tennisfreak13

tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of tennisfreak13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna. View Post
I'm struggling to stay positive. Not because she loses but because she doesn't play her game at all (90% of the time).
Everything is fine enough for grass and clay. If she struggles the next months on hardcourt I'm getting negative. But I didn't expext this year more on grass and clay. Maybe next year.
tennisfreak13 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2014, 11:04 PM   #128
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Mona.

Putintseva #1 player

MakarovaLisickiBarthelBeckTwinPliskovasSmitkovaPervakGavrilovaTownsendAllertovaAbandaPuchkova
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2014, 01:50 AM   #129
country flag Setsuna.
KaWOW! Leonard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballbasher View Post
Just saw an interview with her.
She looked very relaxed and said that Kvitova served and returned too well and she couldn't take the initiative during the rallies, which is important on grass. She claimed that she wasn't nervous to play on a big stage, as she has played there before.

Old Jun 26th, 2014, 04:05 PM   #130
country flag Losing Streak

Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute Losing Streak has a reputation beyond repute

Doubles R1:

Pavlyuchenkova/Safarova d. Barthel/Husarova, 2 & 2.

Krunya Kichenoks Pliskovas Sasnovich Kremen Kovinic Bencic Vekic Diyas Smitkova Bellis Svitolina Cirstea Mlad Garcia Pavlovic Rezai Jovanovski Mitu Savic Savinykh Evtimova Tomova Kalashnikova
Losing Streak is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 06:59 AM   #131
country flag joy division

joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future joy division has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex59 View Post
You were prophetic, Joy, for this is what I assumed would happen, as well. Mona "lacks heart", doesn't have the drive to be competitive and be a top player. Has weapons, tho' the forehand remains tissue paper light and loopy, but she doesn't have the competitiveness and the heart to compete on the Tour and be a top player. No coaching change can make up the lack of drive from a player. Mona doesn't have it. I was hoping the Mona of Stuttgart that lit up Azarenka for 65 winners and double-digit aces would show up today. However, this is not the case. It's the Mona that lost twice to young Madison Keys in England last year, withered against Parmentier at this year's French and lost to another aggressive young'n in Svitolina in Nurnberg, while eating bagels and breadsticks from shorty Lauren Davis on 2 separate occasions. Any player with power and aggressiveness will make Mona back off, no matter the rank. Today's effort is pitiful, the lack of drive noticeable to former players, like Lindsay, who is calling this match on ESPN.
You made some very reasonable points here as Ahmed and some others aswell.
My 5 cents here -
I`m asking myself at times where this introvert but gutsy girl has gone who was able to teach top players the meaning of fear with her courageous and unorthodox play. When you look at the course of her career you could sarsasticlly argue that Mona has already peaked before her WTA career actually has begun.
Looking back in 2012 Mona was profiting confident-wise mainly of a kind of juvenal carelessness. Being fresh and unknown on the tour obviously made a lot of things easier for her. Some better shape and performances reappeared at the beginning of 2013 whereat I think her level of play at that time was not as high as in her first year on the tour.
Who knows but in this season we probably are waiting in vain for a similar good phase or at least one great tournament to come.

Mona still made a lot of incredible easy faults on the court during her first appearence on the tour aswell but she was going a lot better overall than now and she even could make some good and much more use of her awkward forhand in that context. Finding back the ease on the court is something she`s talking a lot about in her interviews. Of course it will not be not given for nothing as it probably came like natural to her in 2012.

The context about the lack of a competitive mindset of a player is very difficult because imo so many factors are involved here. The same way difficult is the communication about it because we all might have very different points of view here.
On a side note - the question might be allowed whether this is a bad attitude at all. It might even be something that makes her more likeable in some sense. However, it`s disadvantageous because it`s an essential part of sports.
Having a clear strategy on the court, a high level of concentration, will, confidence and maturity are some of these factors on the mental side.
Some players simply seem to have more of this mindset, some others not. Probably some deeper looks at her personality would be necessary to get a clue why Mona obviously is pretty much a chicken in that department.
Remains the question in how far a player can develop in this area. From the above mentioned things you only can explicitely work on strategy and your ability to concentrate. The other mentioned things are a part of a deeper process.
Mona is trying out different things on the coach side and she still is ambitious. As long as this is the case I still try to be optimistic because Mona actually has the game and the skills to perform much better than she does right now. We`ll see.

Last edited by joy division : Jul 2nd, 2014 at 10:58 AM.
joy division is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote