Tennis Forum banner

Chris Evert Thread

392K views 3K replies 139 participants last post by  samn 
#1 · (Edited)
Well Steffi, Jana and Martina N all have threads in their names so I started a thread for Chris Evert.

:bounce:

See less See more
#2,578 ·

Reactions: sabalabalenka
#2,580 ·
Nice to see that relaxed interview. Chris always states she doesn’t remember anything but I think Martina does.
Spot on observation Mark. Martina has a memory like an elephant when it comes to records and scores.

Chris-perhaps too much wacky weed in her youth has distorted her memory. What we know Chris does NOT forget is a real or perceived diss-just ask Pam Shriver!

#2,584 ·
Chris tends to recall defeats with ease. Watch her talk about the ‘73 FO final loss to La Reverend. I bet she can recall actual points. The 1980 loss to Evonne is often recalled with ease as well as the ‘75 loss to BJK, and so on and so forth. I doubt she recalls much of the 1977 USO final or several French titles over Wenders, Ruzici, Mima etc. But she remembers each and every big match loss.

Although I have a feeling she blocked several losses from late 1979 to early 1980!
Wink wink

#2,585 ·
But she remembers each and every big match loss.
Bet you are right. Revenge is quite a motivator.

Although I have a feeling she blocked several losses from late 1979 to early 1980!
Wink wink
Tracy must have LOVED beating Evert like bongo drums in those matches. Anyone ever see the movie Caberet? Tracy would be the one singing the tune, "The future belongs to me."

Of course Chris got her back-practically half of Evert book "Chrissie" talks about how Austin got her to consider Austin and how Chris redeemed herself at the 1980 US Open.

It was clear who Chris viewed as the main threat in 1980-and it sure wasn't Martina!

#2,586 ·
Isn’t that so incredibly strange to even fathom now? Tracy being ‘the One to Fear’? Haha. Even at her best Tracy was still prone to being blown off the court by Martina, given Navratilova’s fitness/whims/mentality at the moment. Didn’t she have several love, 1 & 2 set wins vs Tracy 1979-1981? And don’t even get me started on that fabulous 1981 USO final. I say fabulous because it went from a TiniLingunie blowout to drama at its finest, save for Martina choking like a dog. But the images of Tracy fidgeting and blowing on her nails was like watching a study in crazy when I barely even knew what crazy was yet. Has any other slam champion been as visibly fidgety? Even Nadal looks comatose compared to olde brace face.

#2,589 ·
Isn’t that so incredibly strange to even fathom now? Tracy being ‘the One to Fear’? Haha. Even at her best Tracy was still prone to being blown off the court by Martina, given Navratilova’s fitness/whims/mentality at the moment. Didn’t she have several love, 1 & 2 set wins vs Tracy 1979-1981? And don’t even get me started on that fabulous 1981 USO final.
In fairness everyone was prone to being blown off the court by Martina if she kept her emotions in check. Chris certainly was too, and actually was a few times.

#2,587 ·

#2,588 ·

#2,590 ·
Yes, absolutely...but very rarely during that ‘Tracy is The One to be Feared’ time period I mentioned, 1979-1981.
I recall Martina definitely winning straight set matches vs Chris during those years but very few love, one or two game sets. Whereas with Tracy it seemed every third match could be a blowout?
Chris killed Martina love and love during this period and I have my doubts as to whether Tracy ever took a love set off Martina??

#2,592 ·

#2,593 ·

#2,595 ·

#2,596 ·

I agree ! Serena has the best forehand on WTA Tour :hi5:

#2,597 ·

I agree with them !

#2,599 ·
Mark,

No, that's not Renee Richards. The woman seems very tall though.
My money is on Ana Leaird. Ana was Evert's best friend in high school. Ana traveled on tour with Evert.

Leaird was later a WTA official and Wendy Turnbull's partner.

Ana doesn't look that tall, but perhaps Colette is short?