Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu (Cheering Thread)

264K views 5K replies 124 participants last post by  Michael! 
#1 · (Edited)
If anyone deserves a thread in the new Romanian Forum, it is this girl. Monica Niculescu is currently ranked 205 in the World but will be very close to her career high of 188 when the rankings after Wimbledon come out. She is not yet 20 years old and so she still has plenty of time to get that ranking up and become a fixture within the top 100.

Personally I for one hope very much that she does. Monica is an exceptional unique talent in the tennis world as anyone who has seen will attest. Almost certainly she has the most unusual game with the top 200 (okay she 205 right now but I'm quite sure she won't be out the top 200 again for a very long time).

Describing her playing style is not easy but I will try. Both her forehand and backhand are played sometimes with one hand and sometimes with two. When she hits with two hands it usually means she is going for more pace whereas when she hits with one hand it usually means she going for an offpace shot of some kind often with underspin. She hits some very strange slices that I really couldn't begin to describe. She is also an exceptional volleyer with amazing improvisational skills and has great touch on dropshots and a nice lob. Quite simply she has so many shots at her disposal that one never knows what is coming next. It must be very hard indeed to get any sort of rhythm against her. This is just one attempt to describe the strange unusual play of Monica Niculescu but it would certainly be fun to read other descriptions of her game within this thread.

Monica is a player who should have the support of everyone who loves Women's tennis but gets tired of loads of women with the same style just wacking the ball back to each other as hard as they can. For fans who love slice and touch shots, who prefer the artistry of Fabrice Santoro to the ball bashing of most of the modern game, Monica Niculescu is the girl for you.

Lets support her in this thread, because tennis will be so much richer with someone with her unique and special skills in the mix. :worship:

See less See more
#3,541 ·
Re: The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu

Maybe Simona is there and cheer for her ! 2-1. Oh crap. Don`t colapse ! Don`t ! Fight girl ! be like a cat !

#3,543 ·

YES !!!!! do your serve ! C`mon! Hold your nerves girl ! Just do it without the nike !

#3,546 ·

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!! Hai Monica ! Fight ! Brake her now ! Make her mind go K`boom!

#3,548 ·

Monica changed the balls in one of this . Tricky girl :D Close it , she`s down , but u must win it! Do it girl !

#3,550 ·

YES !!!! Serve for the match ! Hold your nerves. Keep breathing . Don`t lose it, it`s ok . Just win it !

#3,563 ·

I would have never expected her to beat a seeded player at RG. I wouldn't have expected her to beat any player at the French Open for that matter, so this victory really comes as a pleasant surprise and start into this tournament.

Delicious match-up against Oprandi in R2 seems possible.

By the way, first Top 30 win on clay ever?

#3,575 ·

#3,576 ·

http://www.prosport.ro/alte-sporturi/tenis/corespondenta-de-la-roland-garros-regina-scurtelor-monica-niculescu-a-obtinut-o-victorie-istorica-nu-mi-vine-sa-cred-ca-am-castigat-dar-cred-ca-am-jucat-inteligent-12650136

Epuizată după cele două ore şi 15 minute, Monica Niculescu şi-a făcut apariţia în zona interviurilor după aproximativ 75 de minute. Încă mai resimţea duritatea partidei. A răsuflat însă uşurată pentru că nu a resimţit nicio accidentare şi poate să-şi vadă de treabă în continuare la Paris. "Nu-mi vine să cred, dar cred că am evoluat inteligent. Meciul n-a fost uşor, Kaia juca foarte bine, servea foarte tare. Am încercat să pun foarte multe scurte, ştiam că este mare şi nu prea se deplasează bine. A fot şi o tactică să pun foarte multe scurte, ştiam că dacă stau la joc cu ea, am şanse mai puţine, Kanepi este foarte puternică. Mi-au intrat scurtele foarte bine şi cred că asta a fost cheia succesului" , a declarat Niculescu, care a realizat că poate obţine prima victorie la Roland Garros la 4-1 în "decisiv".

Monica a susţinut că nu avea foarte multe aşteptări de la Roland Garros, având în vedere şi trecutul său la French Open: "Eu prefer mai mult hardul şi turneele din China. Abia aştept să vină aceste turnee. Călin Ciorbagiu a crezult mai mult decât mine, m-a ajutat foarte mult". Chiar dacă urmează un meci teoretic mai accesibil, cu Oprandi sau Ormaechea, Niculescu nu se aventurează în declaraţii, tocmai din cauza zgurii: "Nu prefer niciuna, amândouă joacă foarte bine pe zgură. Chiar dacă am bătut o favorită, nu pot să spun că acum sunt favorită. Am câştigat acest tur, dar rezultatele mele la Roland Garros nu sunt atât de bune. Trebuie să cred în mine, să mă antrenez şi să lupt pentru a trece şi mai departe, meciul nu va fi uşor, asta e clar". Un lucru e clar, această victorie cu estonianca Kaia Kanepi îi deschide Monicăi alte perspective în capitala Franţei.
'Queen' now made it into the Romanian media.

And looks as if she might be in for the Chinese hardcourt swing this automn.

#3,577 ·

Uhuuu !!! Go Monica !

Nice girl with her feet on the ground.

Wish u the best "Queen" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.