Tennis Forum banner

~Luxembourg Tennis~

116K views 1K replies 73 participants last post by  coetzergambill 
#1 ·
Claudine Schaul and Mandy Minelle both qualify to play maindraw.
Mandy will play her first career WTA maindraw match against Anna-Lena.
Anne Kremer lost last week to Jelena Dokic who lost to Anne in their last three H2H.

#2 ·
(2) Anna-Lena Groenefeld (GER) d. (Q) Mandy Minella (LUX) 63 64
It's unfortunate Mandy had to face Anna-Lena who reached a final just last week.
But qualifying for her first maindraw match is a great sign of many things to come.
Continue this up and I'm sure Mandy will be awarded with a wildcard for Luxembourg.

#3 ·
Claudine Schaul lost to Magdalena Maleeva with 6:7(4) 6:7(9) in first round of Open Gaz de France after showing a great fighting spirit.

In the first set Luxembourg's Claudine Schaul broke Magdalena Maleeva from Bulgaria to the beginning and hold this break until 4:3 than she got broken too :sad: and both players hold their serve game to the tiebreak which was won by Maleeva with 7:4! :eek:

The second set began very bad for Claudine who seemed to be mentally down after the narrow lost of the first set and got immediately broken in the first game although she was leading 40:0 ( :fiery: ). This pushed Maleeva who realized another break leading now 4:1 in the second.

But Claudine Schaul found back to her game played her best tennis and realized what certainly nobody of the spectators or the live supporters on the internet (like me :D ) expected; 4 games in a row and the lead of 5:4. She leads 30:15 in the serve game of the Bulgarian but unfortunately lost a long rally which she had dominated by a stupid unforced error and unfortunately Maleeva egalized to 5:5. :sad:
Soon there was the second tie brek in this match and Maleeva had the better start leading 5:3 but Claudine fighted to 5:5 saved three setballs in this tiebreak and finally had a deserved set ball by 7:6 but she wasted this big chance and so lost this match with 9:11 in a thrilling match with a very unhappy looser Claudine Schaul who certainly would have had a chance to win the match if she had made advantage of her set ball. :eek: :sad:

She showed to her fans that she is back after months of poor results and will realize more than one suprise this year. :D

Mandy Minella had very bad luck in her first maindraw match against Anna Lena Groenefeld to meet the second seed because there was another meeting between two qualifiers and with a possible victory in a Tier IV maindraw her dream to get a place in a qualification of a Grand Slam would have come nearer. She lost 3:6 4:6 to the upcoming German which is an acceptable result. ;) :p

PS: Next week Claudine Schaul and Anne Kremer will play the qualification to Antwerp in which Claudine is the second seed and thus there is a slight hope that she gets in a maindraw if some players withdraw. With a good quali draw Anne Kremer will certainly win her first match this year and qualify for this important event in the neighbour country. :D

Good luck Claudine, Anne and Mandy for the future! :wavey:

#6 · (Edited)
Luxembourg at the Olympic Games of the small countries in Andorra 2005

Two years ago in Malta 2005 Luxembourg's tennis team won two gold medals (Claudine Schaul in singles and Schaul/Minella in doubles) and a silver medal (Mandy Minella in singles). This year the 19 year old Mandy Minella (WTA 269), the only professional WTA player at this competition, and the unranked 16 year old youngster Lynn Philippe were representing Luxembourg at the Olympic Games of the small states running from 30th May to 4th June 2005 in the Pyrenees country Andorra. :D

In the run up of these games it was clear that the FLT (Féderation Luxembourgeoise du Tennis/ Luxembourg's tennis federation) team was the clear favourite in the tennis competition although the two best players Claudine Schaul and Anne Kremer were absent due to their participation at Roland Garros.

All the results in an overall view:
Quarterfinals:
Mandy Minella (LUX) def. Johanna Hemmerle (LIE) 6:1 6:1
Lynn Philippe (LUX) def. Emilia Milovanovic (MON) 6:2 6:2

Semifinals:
Mandy Minella (LUX) def. Lisa Camenzulli (MAL) 6:1 6:0
Stephanie Vogt (LIE) def. Lynn Phillippe (LUX) 6:3 6:4

Final:
Mandy Minella (LUX) def. Stepanie Vogt (LIE) 6:3 6:3 (Gold medal)

Doubles Semifinal:

Minella/Philippe (LUX) def. Petursdottir/Sigurdardottir (ISL) 6:0 6:0

Doubles Final:

Minella/ Philippe (LUX) def. Hemmerle/Vogt (LIE) 6:2 6:2 (Gold medal)

#7 ·
:hearts: Picture Gallery from the event: :hearts:

The talented Mandy Minella who is in a good shape this year (increasing her ranking from 331 to 269) fulfilled without too much effort the "mission gold".

Lynn Philippe is certainly unknown to tennis experts; here are her pictures

#10 ·
well, well....:(

I thought that to play with Sharapova would bring one good thing: we would have some photos from match and I expected some nice photos of Anne.....

but hell, I expected unexpected.... :mad:

these stupid photographers can do nothing more thanis make photos only of one player :mad: :mad: :mad:

somebody should :armed: them.... :mad:

now I feel much better....:angel: ;)

anyway nice fight in first set Anne, it's not a tragedy or a shame to lose with Sharapova ;)

I'm looking forward to next tourney, hopefully with much better draw ;)

stay health and best of luck next time! :yeah: :hug:

#12 ·
HectorMagnus said:
well, well....:(

I thought that to play with Sharapova would bring one good thing: we would have some photos from match and I expected some nice photos of Anne.....

but hell, I expected unexpected.... :mad:

these stupid photographers can do nothing more thanis make photos only of one player :mad: :mad: :mad:

somebody should :armed: them.... :mad:

now I feel much better....:angel: ;)

anyway nice fight in first set Anne, it's not a tragedy or a shame to lose with Sharapova ;)

I'm looking forward to next tourney, hopefully with much better draw ;)

stay health and best of luck next time! :yeah: :hug:

Even my newspaper in Luxembourg posted a picture of... Maria Sharapova instead of Anne Kremer. :rolleyes: :tape:

By the way this Birmingham tournament is very mean considering points; Anne will receive only 13 points (9p + 4 Qp) for her first round victory. :sad:

I hope Anne will play the lower tournament next week in order to avoid the top players in early rounds and finally enter a quarterfinal or even a semifinal of a tournament. :p

#13 ·
drimal04 said:
Even my newspaper in Luxembourg posted a picture of... Maria Sharapova instead of Anne Kremer. :rolleyes: :tape:

By the way this Birmingham tournament is very mean considering points; Anne will receive only 13 points (9p + 4 Qp) for her first round victory. :sad:

I hope Anne will play the lower tournament next week in order to avoid the top players in early rounds and finally enter a quarterfinal or even a semifinal of a tournament. :p
even newspapers in Luxembourg? :haha:....patriotic seems to me..... :eek:
:armed:

#16 · (Edited)
:cool: Wimbledon 2005! :cool:

Nice draws for Anne Kremer and Claudine Schaul! :bounce: (Finally they have lucky draws at a Grand Slam :D )

Anne Kremer

First round: versus Abigail Spears (USA/69), a player who is in a slump actually (losing her last 4 matches) and isn't really a successful grass player- Anne Kremer can beat her for sure :D
Second round: versus Ai Sugiyama (JAP/25), on one hand a good grass player reaching Wimbledon quarters last year but on the other hand a player who is out of sorts in 2005 and in addition to that under pressure to defend so many points- she is beatable for Anne Kremer :p
Third round: Kim Clijsters (BEL/17), a very tough opponent who would probably bring Anne's Wimbledon road to an end (but Anne Kremer is leading Kim Clijsters 1:0 in the H2H 6:2 6:1 victory in 2001 :eek:)

Apart from the difficult third round Anne Kremer has a nice draw and she should be able to defend her third round from 2004. :D

:worship: Good luck Anne! :worship:

Claudine Schaul

First round: LL (Krajicek being injured); if Claudine plays like she did in the match against Klara Koukalova, she will zoom to round 2 for sure ;)
Second round: Nadia Petrova (RUS/8); a stubborn adversary, but Claudine could play free, without pressure :angel:

Finally a beatable opponent in first round for Claudine Schaul who has no points to defend at Wimbledon. :p

:bounce: Good luck Claudine! :bounce:

#17 ·
drimal04 said:
:cool: Wimbledon 2005! :cool:

Nice draws for Anne Kremer and Claudine Schaul! :bounce: (Finally they have lucky draws at a Grand Slam :D )

Anne Kremer

First round: versus Abigail Spears (USA/69), a player who is in a slump actually (losing her last 4 matches) and isn't really a successful grass player- Anne Kremer can beat her for sure :D
Second round: versus Ai Sugiyama (JAP/25), on one hand a good grass player reaching Wimbledon quarters last year but on the other hand a player who is out of sorts in 2005 and in addition to that under pressure to defend so many points- she is beatable for Anne Kremer :p
Third round: Kim Clijsters (BEL/17), a very tough opponent who would probably bring Anne's Wimbledon road to an end (but Anne Kremer is leading Kim Clijsters 1:0 in the H2H 6:2 6:1 victory in 2001 :eek:)

Apart from the difficult third round Anne Kremer has a nice draw and she should be able to defend her third round from 2004. :D

:worship: Good luck Anne! :worship:

Claudine Schaul

First round: LL (Krajicek being injured); if Claudine plays like she did in the match against Klara Koukalova, she will zoom to round 2 for sure ;)
Second round: Nadia Petrova (RUS/8); a stubborn adversary, but Claudine could play free, without pressure :angel:

Finally a beatable opponent in first round for Claudine Schaul who has no points to defend at Wimbledon. :p

:bounce: Good luck Claudine! :bounce:

Claudine will play LL Beltrame who is definitely beatable

well, I see a one way traffic to 3rd round for Anne :drive: ;)

only one problem is if Spears is eager for revenge for Eastbourne Cup lost
yesterday, if she's.... :toothy:

Anne has strapped left thigh, hope nothing serious :hug:

#18 ·
Good luck Claudi :)

#19 · (Edited)
Anne Kremer defeated Abigail Spears 6:0 2:6 6:2 :woohoo: :bowdown:

In second round of Wimbledon she will face the strong Roberta Vinci! :unsure: :scared:

Good luck Anne! You can beat her for sure! :hug: :smooch:

PS: If Claudine Schaul would win tomorrow against Beltrame then for the first time ever two Luxembourgish player would advance to the second round of a Grand Slam. :p

#24 ·
Allez Anne Kremer! :bounce:

Do your best against Roberta Vinci! :D

Claudine is getting deeper and deeper in the slump. I really ignore how she will come out of this dreadful shape. Perhaps a good break to regroup for the rest of the season would help. :sad: :sad:

#26 · (Edited)
Anne Kremer (WTA/145) and Claudine Schaul (WTA/179) are going through difficult times actually ... there have been much better times for Luxembourg's tennis with Anne Kremer broking into Top 20 in 2002 and Claudine Schaul entering the Top 50 last year. :sad: :p

But there is still hope for better days because both players have Top 100 potential and aren't suffering from injuries actually. :angel:

So let's stay positive and it was a great delight for me to see the comeback of Anne Kremer's website: anne-kremer.lu

A wonderful site dedicated to the best Luxembourgish player ever! I love these nice pictures on her website:

Little Anne Kremer: :kiss:

(in the last picture she was runner-up of the Junior Championships of Europe)

Anne Kremer with her second title trophy (Pattaya 2000) after Auckland 2000! :drool:

playing in Estoril

photoshooting

Anne Kremer in Luxembourg's Fedcup team of 1990

Anne Kremer playing Dokic in Wimbledon (her favourite tournament)

Anne Kremer in action