Tennis Forum banner

Elina Svitolina Cheering Thread!

Tags
mynx
316K views 5K replies 116 participants last post by  TeamUkraine 
#1 ·
I can't believe there wasn't a thread for one of Ukraine's rising stars.

She's born on 12 September 1994. She's the reigning junior Roland Garros Champion and has been the ranked number 1 on the ITF circuit. On the professional tour, she has also made the finals of a 25K losing to another talented teenager, Lyuda Kichenok. Her highest WTA ranking is 548.

Let's all cheer for her as she rises up the rankings soon and be a real star on the WTA tour!

More pictures of her at http://sapronov-tennis.org/?p=gallery&player_id=145&page=1

See less See more
#3,251 ·
Even with the bagel, I'm very proud of her performance. For a 20 year old, just winning a set in a slam against Serena is quite an accomplishment. I also liked that Serena actually made Elina smile during the handshake. The girl is learning, keep it up!

As far as her game, it seemed once Serena raised her level, Elina started to struggle hitting first serves. When she started taking pace of the first serves and still continued missing, the aggression in her ground game totally left her. At that point she seemed a bit mentally spent, as she couldn't keep a high level of intensity up beyond a point or two.

Next up should be Payatta City where she has a solid chance to win.

#3,253 ·
I was really impressed with Elina in this match. She came out very composed and executed her gameplan without distraction.

When Serena started getting back into it Elina's first serve deserted her and she was really on the back foot a lot of the time. But unlike last year where she was visibly berating herself a lot of the time she seemed to stay more focused, even when the scoreline was looking bad for her. She still made a few chances in the final set even though the score doesn't really reflect it.

Lots of positives to take away. I think Iain Hughes is doing a great job with her and she's definitely moving in the right direction.

If she can bring this game to other opponents (rather than the one she used against Nicole Gibbs) then she will start getting some bigger scalps in short order.

#3,260 ·
GROUP A

Serbia
Hungary
Austria

GROUP B

Great Britain
Ukraine
Turkey
Liechtenstein

GROUP C

Belarus
Portugal
Bulgaria
Georgia

GROUP D

Belgium
Croatia
Israel
Latvia

Promotion Play-Offs: A1 vs D1, B1 vs C1

#3,261 ·
That's a great group for Ukraine. They should be able to easily win it because Elina is by far the best player. The Promotion Playoffs will be tougher. Belarus or Bulgaria should win Group C.

#3,262 ·
Elina lost the 1st set to Buyukakcay 6-3 :facepalm:.

#3,265 ·
Elina wins the 2nd set 6-4 and is now down 4-0 in the 3rd.

#3,266 ·
Elina loses 6-3 4-6 6-0 to Buyukakcay :facepalm:

#3,269 ·
Oy vey. Guess the mental transition from Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne to Fed Cup Zone Group in Budapest can be difficult. And Buyukakcay had a solid start to the season, actually, and, of course, nothing to lose. Fortunately, Tsurenko bailed the Ukrainians out this time.
Now get your head in the game, Elina!

#3,275 ·
I actually think Elina would win, despite this final set meltdown today.

#3,276 ·
Elina loses the 1st set to Vogt 6-4. Here we go again :facepalm:

#3,277 ·
Elina wins the 2nd set 6-2.

#3,278 ·
Elina wins 4-6 6-2 6-3.